Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Metro Atlanta 107 32.82%
Metro DC 219 67.18%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There are a ton of Northerners down here also, so who's to say that this behavior is coming exclusively from native Southerners?
The northerners that you speak of that live in the deep south do not mostly live outside of Atlanta, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando.........

So yeah he does have an excellent point that most Southerners that are "polite" until they find out enough about you to talk/gossip about with their friends/family good and bad.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
The reason why DC will edge out ATL bc if your in ATL then your really in/stuck in ATL where else will you go without seeing a vast stretch of highway...When I want to leave the DC area its not too hard.. Ill be in a completely different metro within 20 minutes. Thats my main reason
Right, because DC is very close to Beaches, Mountains, and multiple cities/metros less than 250 miles from DC...........

Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There are a ton of Northerners down here also, so who's to say that this behavior is coming exclusively from native Southerners?
Like I said, it's mostly due to stereotypes. But I have experienced that in places that do not have tons of Northerners moving down there. Specifically Mississippi. Sorry to single that state out.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boreatwork

[quote=Spade;19604127]Like I said, it's mostly due to stereotypes. But I have experienced that in places that do not have tons of Northerners moving down there. Specifically Mississippi. Sorry to single that state out.[/QUO

Some of the rural parts down south u don't have a choice bc u see the same ppl everyday for years....at least that's how is for my fam from GA

Old 06-16-2011, 02:57 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Imo. Atl is one of the more underated metros because of ppls density fetish on here. Atl has a very expansive surrounding area to draw from that identify with it as the city. Dc wins this on cd obviously because of the density thing, but atlanta is also one of the nations top tier metros. The col is unbeatable, on 100k a year you can live like a king down there.
You hit it right on the head

Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I never said people can't enjoy looking at skyscrapers--where did you get that idea from? I merely said that it has been my experience that the presence of tall buildings in and of themselves don't contribute a tremendous amount to one's enjoyment of a city. Most European cities have low-ceiling skylines, yet are some of the most livable and enjoyable in the world. Additionally, there are countless cities in the U.S. that have tall buildings downtown that don't offer nearly the amenities to their residents than a city like DC does.

I just don't think it's a characteristic of a city that by itself offers a substantial benefit to one's quality of life. When I'm evaluating a city, I'll look at things like its economy, density/walkability, cultural attractions and amenities, parkland and natural attractions, dining and nightlife and so on. If Atlanta's skyscrapers is the sole reason you chose it over DC, you've really set the bar quite low.
If Everyone went off this criteria and if everyone wanted this lifestyle and if this lifestyle was supposed to be superior to the lifestyle in the Sunbelt cities then why isnt everyone living in the Northeast? Quality of life comes in many forms not everyone thinks living on top of each other in show box apts with skyrocketing rents is a great quality of life to some people living on a farm could be a good quality of life where there is no crime or madness going on..

Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
Metro Atlanta.

I'm big on politics, but not Washington bureaucrats. Both are good metros though.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Washington.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times
I tried to create a thread similar to this one but it was deleted because there was already this thread. So here we go, DC is winning the poll, but a lot has changed in 4 years since the last post. Any new opinions on the topic?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:34 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
DC for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City