Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times

Advertisements

Where was America born?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Philadelphia, 1776.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:42 PM

O.K.
Thread closed.
The reason I asked was that I was reading the '15 coolest cities to visit' article and the description for Philadelphia said "The birthplace of the American Revolution and American Independence".

I always thought that was Boston.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:44 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I say Philly. Boston played a huge role in the revolution and shaping of the colonies, but the United States and our government as we know it was certainly started in Philadelphia.

New Amsterdam played a huge role as well.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:04 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
I'd say Philadelphia as well, since that's where the first congress convened and where the declaration of independence was signed, but the revolutionary war itself started in Lexington MA. I think both locations could have a legit claim to the title.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
The United States never would have existed without the people of Boston. On the other hand, the declaration could have been signed just about anywhere.

The US was born in what is now the suburbs of Boston

Old 02-12-2009, 06:39 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default "Cradle of Liberty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Where was America born?
Philadelphia

Boston - (or actually eastern Massachusetts) started a revolution, "The shot heard around the world".

Philadelphia - where that revolution spread across a continent (and thus survived) and where a new nation of independent states & a free republic was born.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
This is actually a fun topic. I'm really curious to hear what people from outside either area (and who have no ties to either) think.

I'd LOVE to say Boston and I think Boston (the 'burbs, really) played a HUGE role, but I really think that Philly's was a little more prominent in the country's FOUNDATION while Boston may have been a little more important in providing the spark that got the whole thing started. Overall, I still say Philly's role in the foundation of the government puts it over the top. Anyone can shoot a gun, but it takes more than that to start a nation and that's what happened in Philly.

Needless to say, Boston and Philly couldn't have done what they did without the other, but I have to give the nod to Philly.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is actually a fun topic. I'm really curious to hear what people from outside either area (and who have no ties to either) think.

I'd LOVE to say Boston and I think Boston (the 'burbs, really) played a HUGE role, but I really think that Philly's was a little more prominent in the country's FOUNDATION while Boston may have been a little more important in providing the spark that got the whole thing started. Overall, I still say Philly's role in the foundation of the government puts it over the top. Anyone can shoot a gun, but it takes more than that to start a nation and that's what happened in Philly.

Needless to say, Boston and Philly couldn't have done what they did without the other, but I have to give the nod to Philly.

Rate up for being fair to Philadelphia!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

The problem I have with this is that I really think that the government in Philly only followed what the people in Boston were doing.
John Adams, who I believe is the undisputed father of this country, came to Philly with the ideas of Independence and had to convince the other delegates of these ideas.
The entire nation was looking at Boston and saying "Holy Crap what is going on up there?"
This is even proved by British strategy at the time.
The first strategy the British used was to occupy Boston.
When they were forced to evacuate Boston they then tried to isolate New England by going up the Hudson.
By doing this they believed they were cutting the head off the snake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City