Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City is More like the South: Dallas or Richmond?
Dallas, TX 41 52.56%
Richmond, VA 37 47.44%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:36 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,496,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
How is Dallas better? I guess some folks think bigger means better.
I think that I can speak for a lot of people when I say this

You start a poll asking, which city is more Southern between Dallas and Richmond. Correct?

People voted and up to this point

Dallas 18 votes = 64.29%
Richmond 10 votes = 35.71%

Dallas is winning and you still are trying to argue. What was the point in asking our opinions and starting the poll?

There are a lot of people that agree with nothing that you say on this forum

Here is the perfect example:

I have 118 post to this date with 47 rep points
You have 229 post with 23 rep points

I have half the post that you do and double the rep points. That should be a red flag to you that people on this forum dont agree with what you say

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 02-15-2009 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,743,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I am agreeing with you. Dallas is southern, but Richmond is more southern
In what way(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Who cares who is more southern.... Dallas is a far better place to live than Richmond
But that was the topic of this thread, not which one is better.

And Richmonder27, with all the CW pics you posted, that still won't convince me otherwise. Monument Ave is just one street. lol

Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,743,613 times
Quote:
Dallas is about as Southern as St. Louis, IMO.

You never cease to amaze...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:03 PM

28 posts, read 125,255 times
Vasinger (richmonder27), have u had your monthly psych evaluation, yet? You should probably jump on that....

Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,627,220 times
Quote:
Except for maybe the toll booths on the Powhite Pkway, there is nothing Northern aboot Richmond!

Charlottesville and Fredericksburg are "Southern-Lite" cities. Richmond is more Southern than Dallas.

Dallas is about as Southern as St. Louis, IMO.

VA Beach and Norfolk actually feel more Northern or Mid-Atlantic than Richmond

Richmond just ooozes Southern.
Richmonder? For a guy who earlier said let's not start a war, you sure as hell
seem to insist on keeping this one going. LOL

But ok...if you are going to establish part of your position on the legacies of the Confederacy in Richmond, then I just might be up to the task of meeting your terms. Here is one in Dallas:

Dallas Sights - Enduring Landmarks: Robert E. Lee Memorial (http://www.watermelon-kid.com/dallas-sights/features/landmarks/landmarks-lee.htm - broken link)

Kudzu? You may have a good point there, but apparently it isn't so indicitive of the South as it once was:

PLANTS Profile for Pueraria montana (kudzu) | USDA PLANTS

But ok, if you want to use the range of invasive critters commonly associated with the South as to measure Richmond vis a vis Dallas, is there any reason fire ants can't be included?

Imported Fire Ant and Household Insects : Potential United States Range Expansion of the Invasive Fire Ant

See the point?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM

23,494 posts, read 44,167,340 times
Quote:
Its quite the opposite! Richmond architecture on Monument Ave is the epitome of the South! The Victorian gems in The Fan with their large white columns. In Dallas is an atypical Southern city if it there ever was one.

Richmond is much more laid back than Dallas, the accents, food (Juel's, Tobacco Company) etc is much more authentic Southern cuisine than Dallas.
The architecture of Richmond, particularly Monument Avenue, is lovely. When I was there a couple of years ago, however, much of it had the feel of genteel poverty...seedy and tattered, much like Miss Havisham and her ruined wedding dress in Great Expectations. I sincerely hope that the city regains its' lost luster in the years to come.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:41 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,508,378 times
The OP is so biased.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Default Southern cruisine?

Richmonder,

LovinDecatur's quote from one of your earlier ones prompted me to ask a question I had intended to earlier. That is, why do you say "authentic" Southern cruisine can be found more extensively in Richmond than Dallas?

Not talking fast food joint chains here, but....wellll, first of all, what do you consider "authentic Southern food"?

Catfish? BBQ? Fried chicken. Fried okra or black-eyed peas? Gotta be a bit more specific when you advance such an argument!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,980,835 times
^^^ You can find catfish and fried okra in east Texas, anywayz I voted for Richmond.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
^^^ You can find catfish and fried okra in east Texas, anywayz I voted for Richmond.
You can catfish and fried okra and black-eyed peas all over Texas. Not just East Texas. Not sure what your point is here...

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-25-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City