Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 06:59 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times

Advertisements

I'm a small city, but if you take a walk around, I seem to go on forever.

I'm dwarfed by two mountains which tower over me, one so big it's called Mt. Jumbo. One has the letter L emblazoned on it. The other has the letter M.

I'm situated on either side of a river named after a famous explorer.

I have the reputation of being a liberal city in a conservative state.

I'm the birthplace of David Lynch.

I'm in the middle of fly-fishing country. They even made a movie about it.

The City-Data poster known only as "creepsinc" once spent ten years here one month. Long story.

Who am I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I'm a small city, but if you take a walk around, I seem to go on forever.

I'm dwarfed by two mountains which tower over me, one so big it's called Mt. Jumbo. One has the letter L emblazoned on it. The other has the letter M.

I'm situated on either side of a river named after a famous explorer.

I have the reputation of being a liberal city in a conservative state.

I'm the birthplace of David Lynch.

I'm in the middle of fly-fishing country. They even made a movie about it.

The City-Data poster known only as "creepsinc" once spent ten years here one month. Long story.

Who am I?
LOL MISSOULA, MT!
Had a friend that got her Creative Writing degree there. We had some deliciously bad times there. Would love to hear the details of your 10-year weekend sometime. I can imagine.

OK.

Tallulah.
Space, the Final Frontier.
Not at all what you would expect.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL MISSOULA, MT!
Had a friend that got her Creative Writing degree there. We had some deliciously bad times there. Would love to hear the details of your 10-year weekend sometime. I can imagine.

OK.

Tallulah.
Space, the Final Frontier.
Not at all what you would expect.

Well, I packed up my car in Seattle and headed east and decided I wanted to stay there, so I did, for a month. Mostly in motels and in my car, which got broken into. 800 CDs and several hundred of my books are still probably circulating through their used stores. I was pretty manic and break-downy back then, so I'm probably lucky to have survived the whole experience somewhat intact. I had the time of my life, alone the whole time. I love that town. Like it or not, it's a part of me forever.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 PM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As an aside I never understood why the people of Binghamton were so "backwards" in their thinking. When I visited the city for my photo tour I was very impressed by how much potential oozed out of every pore in that city. I felt very safe walking around, the drivers were courteous, and the architecture was amazing. Nevertheless people in Binghamton, by and large, think they live in the seventh layer of hell! Sure, we can't all be Scranhattan (Psha! ), but Bingo is doing a great job at revitalizing itself!
What's sad is that many people in the Syracuse area are the same way. It must be contagious.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's sad is that many people in the Syracuse area are the same way. It must be contagious.
That pervasive negativity seems to have infected most of the I-81 corridor from Watertown, NY on down to about Pottsville, PA. Once you hit Harrisburg the mood grows happier.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
New London, CT.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

City with economic stability despite being located in a state with economic struggles.

German heritage, with a neighborhood featuring German architecture.

Unusually fast growth for a Frost Belt city, with a gentrified old central section that indicates a past as a mid-sized older-style Northeastern/Midwestern city, surrounded by areas more similar to the Sun Belt--suburban yet inside the city limits.
Columbus, OH?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Here's one:

Less than 50 years ago, it's population was less than 50,000 and its economy was almost toatlly agriculturally based. Today it has its own major international airport and agriculture is but a small piece of the city's economy.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM

Another:

At one time was the largest city in its state, today it's population is very small. It's orgins lie in lead mining and steamboat traffic, and was the home of one of the presidents of the US.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Here's one:

Less than 50 years ago, it's population was less than 50,000 and its economy was almost toatlly agriculturally based. Today it has its own major international airport and agriculture is but a small piece of the city's economy.

San Jose?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Here's one:

I'm gunna guess Tuscon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City