Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you most like to live in? Why?
Boston 60 10.15%
Chicago 96 16.24%
Dallas 47 7.95%
Houston 46 7.78%
Las Vegas 40 6.77%
Los Angeles 65 11.00%
Miami 28 4.74%
New York City 66 11.17%
Phoenix 28 4.74%
Philly 64 10.83%
San Fran 51 8.63%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:43 PM

1,122 posts, read 926,121 times

Advertisements

^^So, you're sayin' you're picking Philly?

Wayy more affordable than it's East Coast peers,
and its closeness to NYC is definitely under-rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 08:56 PM

58 posts, read 88,646 times
Of the cities listed I would pick Houston because the people seem pretty nice and relatable to me. Cost of living is low. Southern but diverse culture. I like hot weather and I get tired of the cold after a few weeks. Also I think there's some fairly good beaches about an hour away. And my wife and I have friends in Houston and Dallas, although I'm not crazy about living in Dallas but I'd be a few hours from them in Houston. Plus there's no place in Georgia on the poll lol. So yes, Houston.

Next would be Las Vegas because it seems fun like there's always stuff to do and see, and I also love southwestern/desert landscapes and parks.

Then Miami because although I don't like Miami at all but I do like the natural beauty of Florida in general.

Then Phoenix and Dallas.

Finally I have to say New York is an awesome city that I enjoy visiting but it's too expensive for me and the cold doesn't help. Remove one of those factors and it would probably top my list.

I can't even consider San Francisco or Los Angeles. Not a fan of California in general, outside of the national parks. I don't think I could get used to the people and the culture. Chicago is ok but too cold and I already lived there so long. Boston is whatever. Never even been curious about Philadelphia.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:23 AM

8,868 posts, read 6,874,754 times
SF is the only one that doesn't have long periods of uncomfortable weather. It's also a very good urban city, despite their attempts to turn it into an asylum and/or museum.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
SF is the only one that doesn't have long periods of uncomfortable weather. It's also a very good urban city, despite their attempts to turn it into an asylum and/or museum.
The one thing that always surprises me about SF though is how sometimes certain cold-ish temperatures, say between 40 and 50 degrees, can sometimes feel colder there compared to other places at the same temperatures. I'm not sure how to explain it, but in numerous trips to SF over the years, this has happened quite a bit. Whether during the day if it's kind of drizzly out or at night it seemed colder than other places that could get similar weather (NYC, Chicago, etc) for some reason. Not sure if it's a humidity level thing or what. Had the same thing happen in Istanbul actually - way under normal winter month weather during my first visit. High of upper 30s for a few days but literally felt like low 20s somehow. Not as bad in SF, but just seems colder than it really is at times. I grew up mostly in Minnesota and can handle all sorts of crazy temperatures, but for whatever reason in SF, there's been a few times where I wanted nothing more than a really warm bed with the heat up.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Not LA? I mean it gets hot in the inland areas and the valleys but close to the coast is nearly perfect

Old 02-05-2019, 04:02 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The one thing that always surprises me about SF though is how sometimes certain cold-ish temperatures, say between 40 and 50 degrees, can sometimes feel colder there compared to other places at the same temperatures. I'm not sure how to explain it, but in numerous trips to SF over the years, this has happened quite a bit. Whether during the day if it's kind of drizzly out or at night it seemed colder than other places that could get similar weather (NYC, Chicago, etc) for some reason. Not sure if it's a humidity level thing or what. Had the same thing happen in Istanbul actually - way under normal winter month weather during my first visit. High of upper 30s for a few days but literally felt like low 20s somehow. Not as bad in SF, but just seems colder than it really is at times. I grew up mostly in Minnesota and can handle all sorts of crazy temperatures, but for whatever reason in SF, there's been a few times where I wanted nothing more than a really warm bed with the heat up.
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." --Mark Twain

Old 02-05-2019, 06:10 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
SF Bay Area has multiple microclimates....I used to live in Marin County (just a few miles from SF, across the GG Bridge, and there could easily be a 15 degree, sometimes more, difference in temperature. Mt Tamalpais would block out the fog, thus keeping it warmer. Similar for the East and South Bay/Peninsula. The city of SF sucks in the fog like a vacuum which is why it is colder; the further you get out of the city the warmer it can get. The entire Bay Area can be chilly from mid November through end of March.

BTW, it can get “chilly” in SoCal from December through early March..take a look at the current 10 day forecast—the high of the day will only be from the high 50’s to the low 60’s with temperatures dipping into the 40’s at night....not awful, but some homers like to incorrectly claim that every day is a beach day there (showing up in a sweatshirt or jacket at the beach does not meet my definition of a beach day)—simply not true, though still better than most places.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-05-2019 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Chicago. Most beautiful city, worlds best Architecture, museums, best food, great neighborhoods, parks, Theater, great transit, very clean, very friendly, river walk and beautiful beaches!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 AM

755 posts, read 571,037 times
At this point, San Francisco.

I visited SF in 2017, & I really liked it! It was interesting, & a good combination of Urban & great scenery. The food was good, & it just seems like class cool place to live. Plus that area has a booming tech industry, which is in my field of study.

As great as NYC is, I've been there many times, & I could just take the train to go there when I want to. I would choose somewhere in the West as it's less common to me.

If money wasn't a factor, & I was given a place to temporarily locate, I'd choose San Francisco.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:11 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Chicago. Most beautiful city, worlds best Architecture, museums, best food, great neighborhoods, parks, Theater, great transit, very clean, very friendly, river walk and beautiful beaches!
I picked Philly, but Chicago is a VERY close 2nd for me. I agree with you on all of your points. The people are the friendliest of other cities like NYC, Boston, Philly, LA, SF, etc from my own experiences. The downtown is surprisingly clean for a city of that size. Just love the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City