Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Chicago 107 49.54%
San Francisco 84 38.89%
Both( Half n Half) 25 11.57%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times

Advertisements

I love Chicago but the winter weather is not for me... I like it cool and dry hence why I like SF better as a city. I love SF's amazing scenery and their live and let die culture. Having said that, SF is just too liberal for me thou politically.. I am socially liberal but I hate being over taxed. I could not live in SF because their cost of living is way too high. Chicago's cost of living is high but more manageable than SF's. Both are amazing cities if you make a lot of money lets put it that way but not the best places to raise a family if you are not a doctor, lawyer or CEO.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:01 PM

261 posts, read 266,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Sounds like a scene straight out of Curb Your Enthusiasm...
actually on the contrary SF is completely different than that someone had a bad experience

Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I like it cool and dry hence why I like SF better as a city.
This is coming from someone who wants to move to AZ? lol

Old 09-24-2014, 12:05 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon91 View Post
actually on the contrary SF is completely different than that someone had a bad experience
Relax... So it's so lofty and high up there that we can't even throw a few jokes about SF now?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
This is coming from someone who wants to move to AZ? lol
Arizona is cool and dry most of the year just not in the summer and early fall.. 7 to 8 months a year Arizona is nice.. just the summers suck. Arizona in the winter is super nice.. perfect weather.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:07 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Quote:
Wait, but why are you still in Wisconsin? Sounds like SF bubble is ideal for you.
It's a multi-user character, a fake that pops up occasionally. Have seen "him" on the WI boards a couple times.

The first time a stranger got on me about smoking, I was too surprised to do anything about it. By the second time, a sickly-looking jogger made exaggerated coughing noises + eye contact with me, so I jogged right behind him with my cig for a few blocks as he (terrified, accelerated to top speed) got every name in the book thrown at him. Just wanted to ensure there was one less POS yelling at strangers in San Diego - probably good that he knew some strangers not from the area consider that sort of thing a violation worthy of a beat-down, as well. But there's always another smugger ready to take your place out there...

Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The first time a stranger got on me about smoking, I was too surprised to do anything about it. By the second time, a sickly-looking jogger made exaggerated coughing noises + eye contact with me, so I jogged right behind him with my cig for a few blocks as he (terrified, accelerated to top speed) got every name in the book thrown at him. Just wanted to ensure there was one less POS yelling at strangers in San Diego - probably good that he knew some strangers not from the area consider that sort of thing a violation worthy of a beat-down, as well. But there's always another smugger ready to take your place out there...
Haha that's awesome! People should just realize that somethings are NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. He could've simply stopped and politely asked you to refrain from smoking in this area due to city by-laws (if any). That would be the gentleman way to do things, by resolving issues face to face. But no, the little turd had to stare at you and make you feel like you are some baby killer.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 AM

596 posts, read 821,309 times
Quote:
Haha that's awesome! People should just realize that somethings are NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. He could've simply stopped and politely asked you to refrain from smoking in this area due to city by-laws (if any). That would be the gentleman way to do things, by resolving issues face to face. But no, the little turd had to stare at you and make you feel like you are some baby killer.
Whenever I see a smoker I just think "What a moron" or "low-class." Now, I would never say anything to him/her because it's none of my business.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:56 AM

178 posts, read 175,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon91 View Post
I live in Wisconsin about 3 hours from Chicago by car so im not biased but im truthful. ive been to both cities and Chicago doesn't compete with SF. I agree its clean but it just doesn't have the vibrancy upbeat like SF or NYC. SF is more beautiful, has better weather and more bars, restraunts, theaters, cafes etc per capita and more international diversity, distinctiveness, wealth, education, younger people, and much more progressive. and IMO it has more character and attitude and is a city that takes action for what it believes in. It is home to the Black Panther Party movement, Hippy/peace Movement, 420 movement, etc and are innovators in culture and lifestyle... but maybe I shouldn't have said it "blows chi out the water" that was just in retaliation for people who don't know how to compare cities across the board
I don't even know where to start with this ignorance lol you ever been to Chicago? Sf is cool but not on Chicago's level sorry bro lmao

Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,856 times
Some of you people visit the same city you don't live in for vacay more than most people ever visit it at all. Sounds fishy to go somewhere, the same place, for a 3-4 day trip for fun 1-2 times a year. People who go to cities that frequently for personal fun/enjoyment usually reserve that for their favorite city and they make enough money to do so.

So basically, we have a ton of people on these boards who make enough money and can take the time off to spring for a short week in SF a couple times a year, and that's "good enough for them". Hotels in SF are easily $350-450+ a night any time of the year. Food is expensive. The flights too since it's across country for most. And because they go 1-2 times a year, SF must be basically their favorite city, at least to visit.

So if people are visiting SF (without having actual family there) for fun a couple times a year, are they visiting NYC, Boston, Paris, and other cities a couple times a year for fun, too?

I mean we have A LOT of wealthy vacationers on these boards! Or is it just me?? Most of my travel is forced, through work, and if it coincides with a Friday return, THEN I'll stay a weekend. I certainly don't have the time to fly around for 4 days at a time and visit all these places for fun many times a year.

And the only places I fly into for "fun" more than once a year, I have family there. Or childhood/college/grad school friends and they're getting married, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City