Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,032 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the racial/ethnic diversity of the USA's biggest cities.

The following presents 2000 Census data for: Los Angeles, New York City, and Miami. As implied, the data are for within the CITY LIMITS of each.

I realize I could have included other cities. Maybe next time.

LOS ANGELES:
Foreign Born: 41%
White (Non-Hispanic): 31.1%
Latino/Hispanic (any race): 47%
Black: 10%
Asian-American: 11.9%
Other Pac. Islander: 0.3%
Native American: 0.8%

NYC:
Foreign Born: 36%
White (Non-Hispanic): 35%
Latino/Hispanic (any race): 27%
Black: 27%
Asian-American: 9.8%
Other Pac. Islander: 0.1%
Native American: 0.5%

MIAMI:
Foreign Born: 51%
White (Non-Hispanic): 21%
Latino/Hispanic (any race): 57.3%
Black: 20.3%
Asian-American: 1.4%
Other Pac. Islander: 0.0%
Native American: 0.2%

By the way, the Los Angeles “metro area” is home to the largest population of Armenians, Filipinos, Guatemalans, Koreans, Thais, Mexicans, and Salvadorans outside of their respective countries. Los Angeles is also home to the largest population of Japanese, Iranians, and Cambodians living in the U.S.

NOTE: I am using the "categories" the US Census uses, I realize that many people overlap into multiple categories (think of Pres. Obama). This at least gives a flavor for each city. And remember, the way the census counts Latinos/Hispanics means these number will not sum to 100%.

Last but not least, I post this info. b/c I think cultural diversity is somethign to embrace about the U.S. If you don't like immigration or diversity please post to an immigration forum. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,411 times
I would say NYC. It's an international city where we have virtually everyone from all parts of the globe. Even if the percentages of whites, blacks and asians, hispanics are different in other cities I doubt they have the diversity within those groups that us New Yorkers have.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,277 times
I would like to join in but need a little assistance to answer. Describe your vision of ideal diversity.
Also, you put city limits in caps. Any significance?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 PM

198 posts, read 653,867 times
well, lets compare city limits.. Miami has more foreign born within a city of 40 sq miles? compared to LA 300+ square miles?

400k vs 4m... hmmm.. NYC would be tough to compete with.. Los Angeles is very unique in so many different ways though... NYC has a GIANT Puerto Rican population.. but Puerto Rico is considered part of the US.. so is that still considered diversity? Los Angeles has a HUGE Mexican and Asian population.. while NYC has a pretty big European.. that is the debate.. leave Miami out of this..

Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I would say NYC. It's an international city where we have virtually everyone from all parts of the globe. Even if the percentages of whites, blacks and asians, hispanics are different in other cities I doubt they have the diversity within those groups that us New Yorkers have.
I'd say LA and NYC are tied. Everything in this quote could just as easily refer to LA as NYC.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post

I just rode the "International express" train tonight to my hockey game. That's the 7 train in case you don't live here. I love taking that train--you see hundreds of countries represented on that train.

"Fifteen journalists from 12 countries took part in a tour on and along the "International Express," New York's famed #7 train running through Queens, the nation's most ethnically diverse county. New York-based urban geographer Jack Eichenbaum served as tour guide, leading informative walking tours of Jackson Heights, known for its Latin American and South Asian neighborhoods, and Flushing, home to a large Asian community. In addition to enjoying a no-host lunch at an authentic Chinese restaurant, participants also visited a 17th century Quaker meeting house that is New York State's oldest house of worship, and toured Gantry State Park, with its breath-taking views ablong Manhattan's skyline just two blocks fromthe #7 train."

Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 PM

156 posts, read 378,086 times
NYC, followed very closely by LA.

NYC is on the East Coast, so European, African & Middle Eastern will predominantly go to this city. LA is more of a home to Asians & South Americans.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,992 times
The Ops stats answer the question. LA and Miami are both roughly 50%. NY has no single group as dominant. I've lived in LA and NY and NY wins and its not even close. LA has a little bit of everything but I wouldn't call it diverse in the same way it is in NY. Look at this link for an idea of the diversity in NY.
Walking Around - New York City's Ethnic Neighborhoods

Old 03-14-2009, 12:56 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
By the way, the Los Angeles “metro area” is home to the largest population of Armenians, Filipinos, Guatemalans, Koreans, Thais, Mexicans, and Salvadorans outside of their respective countries. Los Angeles is also home to the largest population of Japanese, Iranians, and Cambodians living in the U.S.

You can add Vietnamese to that list as well. Orange County in the L.A. Metro has the largest population of Vietnamese living in the USA at around 160,000. Los Angeles County adds another 100,000 Vietnamese residents for around 260k in the Metro, the largest amount in the country by far.

The most vibrant, largest, and most well known Little Siagon in the country is in the cities of Westminster and Garden Grove in Orange County: Little Saigon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little Saigon in Orange County:

Tet Festival:

Last edited by missionhome; 03-14-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 01:31 PM

156 posts, read 378,086 times
Like I said before LA has mostly Asians and South Americans ethnic groups.

NYC has Europeans, Africans, Mid Easterns, and a head start of being the dominant city since the early 1900. So don't be surprised if large populations of Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, Carribean and South American nationalities can be found in NY too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City