Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 03:09 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
To answer the the question, Miami is the Southern City that feels the least Southern of the options. I couldn't believe that I could not order Sweet Tea at a diner in Fort Lauderdale...that right there tells one all they need to know about the local culture.
Can’t use the sweet tea but. Up until the last few years, it wasn’t the norm in much of Texas including Houston either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 06:35 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,637,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Can’t use the sweet tea but. Up until the last few years, it wasn’t the norm in much of Texas including Houston either.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dai...weet-tea-line/

Yeah this is true. Texas Monthly wrote an article about it years ago. Of course the only part of Texas that drank Sweat Tea on the regular is East Texas. It’s definitely a thing in the sticks. I do know in Houston Black culture sweat tea is more of a thing but in East Texas everybody does Sweat Tea.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:44 PM

848 posts, read 1,121,922 times
Raleigh-Cary-Durham-Chapel Hill

Old 10-09-2020, 07:28 PM

771 posts, read 630,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Raleigh-Cary-Durham-Chapel Hill
Meh, the Triangle is still more "southern" than any large metro in Virginia or Florida (minus Jacksonville).

Old 10-10-2020, 03:53 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,128,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore hasn't had the influx of northerners like so southern cities.
The working class DC natives seem more southern to me than Baltimore natives. Baltimore city feels northern while the residents show that southern hospitality.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dai...weet-tea-line/

Yeah this is true. Texas Monthly wrote an article about it years ago. Of course the only part of Texas that drank Sweat Tea on the regular is East Texas. It’s definitely a thing in the sticks. I do know in Houston Black culture sweat tea is more of a thing but in East Texas everybody does Sweat Tea.
For blacks in Texas I've always seen that unsweetened tea was the standard. Same in Louisiana. Be it family reunions or church functions, plain tea is what was served and you had to add sugar yourself if you wanted to.

Georgia is the only place I've lived where tea comes already sweetened, and I think they're largely responsible for it becoming a national thing. Peach tea and peach everything else

Old 10-10-2020, 08:58 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,894,571 times
Definitely Miami. It is one of the most unique cities in the country with its Carribean influence.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:03 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,566,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
For blacks in Texas I've always seen that unsweetened tea was the standard. Same in Louisiana. Be it family reunions or church functions, plain tea is what was served and you had to add sugar yourself if you wanted to.

Georgia is the only place I've lived where tea comes already sweetened, and I think they're largely responsible for it becoming a national thing. Peach tea and peach everything else
GA has the dispensers of sweet and unsweet tea. If you wanted it semi sweet then do 1/4 or half sweet tea and the rest unsweet. Sugar does not mix well if the tea is iced already. GA using good sense I guess.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:31 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,637,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post

I mean I've always known sweet tea to be served at Family reunions and Fish Fries in East Texas sweetened. Whenever my family would make Tea it was always sweetened. Only at restaurants do they ask if you want sweet or unsweetened tea and I know that's a thing in Atlanta restaurants as well. I also got married in New Orleans and our caterer who was a New Orleans native made the best sweet tea I ever had in my LIFE.

Old 10-11-2020, 11:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 780,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
GA has the dispensers of sweet and unsweet tea. If you wanted it semi sweet then do 1/4 or half sweet tea and the rest unsweet. Sugar does not mix well if the tea is iced already. GA using good sense I guess.
Sure I mean you would have to open every sugar packet in the room to get your cup of iced tea to match the maple syrup like taste of real sweet tea

I've just noticed that there seems to be a preference for unsweet west of the Mississippi while east of it most people want it brewed sweet. Of course these days you can find both everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City