Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, in the case of San Francisco, what stalls skyscrapers are NIMBYs.
it is good and bad, on one hand well, it wouldn't look like SF does today, on the other hand... if SF would have been allowed to develop like Chi or NY it might look something like Hong Kong now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, in the case of San Francisco, what stalls skyscrapers are NIMBYs.
Oh man! I know how you feel. NIMBYs slow the progress of Charlotte from being a national player and even a world city, to just being a regional power with all the protest they do.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
(whistling)....

(tossing a bone)....

Here's something to keep all of you little skyscraper nuts busy for a while, so you'll stop scooting across the carpets in here and eating the furniture....

Global recession stalls skyscraper construction (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090323/ts_nm/us_financial_skyscrapers - broken link)
LMAO! This literally made me bust out laughing...what a great image/metaphor...

Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
My first year of college I lived in a high rise, everytime I had to go through the lobby, it would literally (I kid you not) take 15 minutes for the elevator to come. Moving things in and out was a PAIN...

But the view must be nice for some of the larger skylines like Chicago or NYC. I can't imagine living in a 90th floor tower in Houston, Boston, or Atlanta because even though they have a great skyline, they just don't have that same mass of buildings. And having a good view also counts, San Diego is beautiful in that aspect so is Miami.
A good friend of mine lives in One Park Place in downtown Houston and his view of the rest of the skyline is pretty nice. If any more high rise condos were to be built in H-town they'd have to be on the perimeter or in the heart of downtown in order to offer decent views of the city. The other side of his building has a neat view of Discovery Green/George R. Brown and the Maxwell House Refinery (which at night, looks kind of pretty in a weird, industrial way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City