Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or Pheonix??
Houston 25 10.68%
Dallas 25 10.68%
Atlanta 35 14.96%
Pheonix 86 36.75%
All of the above 63 26.92%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
First off the population of NYC never grew by 3 million people.

NYC experienced there biggest growth in 1890 to 1900, which was 1.9M not 3M

Second, no it was not healthy for nyc to grow that much. I dont believe that i ever said it was?

Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You're right. When I looked it up, I was in a rush and was looking at 1890-1910. NYC saw the population jump from 1.5 to 3.4 million (1.9 million from 1890-1900) 3.4 to 4.7 (1.3 million from 1900-1910) and 5.6 to 6.9 (1.3 million 1920-1930). That's a big population jump of 5.4 million in 40 years (just in the city).

I think what you stated was that these cities are going to encounter transit problems (something New York didn't have in place during its boom) among others. You said that they deserved to be talked about because they are growing faster than what is healthy for a city, yet New York City survived even though its growth (in the city alone) was astronomical when compared to recent cities' growth.

Interestingly, when transit came into play for New York, the city population (not the metro) growth actually declined (in percentage compared to previous decades). For some of these newer cities where population has grown tremendously as well, transit is what is bringing people back to the city core.

These cities will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You're right. When I looked it up, I was in a rush and was looking at 1890-1910. NYC saw the population jump from 1.5 to 3.4 million (1.9 million from 1890-1900) 3.4 to 4.7 (1.3 million from 1900-1910) and 5.6 to 6.9 (1.3 million 1920-1930). That's a big population jump of 5.4 million in 40 years (just in the city).

I think what you stated was that these cities are going to encounter transit problems (something New York didn't have in place during its boom) among others. You said that they deserved to be talked about because they are growing faster than what is healthy for a city, yet New York City survived even though its growth (in the city alone) was astronomical when compared to recent cities' growth.

Interestingly, when transit came into play for New York, the city population (not the metro) growth actually declined. For some of these newer cities where population has grown tremendously as well, transit is what is bringing people back to the city core.

These cities will be fine.
These cities will be fine if the people making decisions about the city have common sense and make good decisions

I think it would have been hell living in NYC in 1900 with no public transportation. In 1900 the population was 3 Million

Old 04-23-2009, 04:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
i dont see why people complain when these cities are talked about.

These are 4 of the fastest growing cities in the US..... i think besides austin and vegas

These cities are going to encounter public transit problems, water suppy problems among others soon.

Therefore, they deserve to be talked about because they are growing faster than what is healthy for the city

People need to stop whining
I dont think pubic transit is gonna be a problem for Dallas(DART), or ATL(MARTA).

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I dont think pubic transit is gonna be a problem for Dallas(DART), or ATL(MARTA).
If they keep developing. DART is admittedly moving along better than what I would have expected.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,795 times
All of the above plus the Inland Empire(I.E.) Rv and San Bernandino counties.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
None of these cities have experienced "out of control" growth...they have all absorbed a huge number of new residents, and are still pleasant/liveable cities.

Take a look at some cities around the world that ARE experiencing explosive growth - so much growth that the city can't possibly provide jobs/housing/basic services to the residents: Lagos...Dar es Salaam...Kabul...Santa Cruz...Dhaka...Kinshasa...Delhi...Jakarta...etc. The U.S. cities in question are each growing at a rapid pace, but nowhere near the crazy pace of these and a hundred other world cities. We should worry when the numbers start to approach the population increases of cities in Africa and Asia.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:05 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,449 times
The problem with the way American cities typically grow, and all those cities fit that mold, is that they grow business in the downtown area and grow residences further and further out. Their growth comes in a way that forces the next 1 million people to travel the same traffic paths at the same time of day as the people currently do. In other words, there is no nodal growth, there is predominantly sprawl. And cities end up doing that because they are so excited about the money that growth brings that they toss planning to the wind and revel in the financial winfall. Then the traffic headaches come and quality of life decreases. People spend more hours in traffic and fewer hours with their family. Stress increases.

Some cities have embraced nodal growth. Denver has built town centers all around its metro area and focused density around those centers. It has the downtown area as well as the Denver Tech Center, as well as Boulder, major sites of employment in different parts of the metro area. The Research Triangle Area in North Carolina is another example. Rather than have one city which continuosly spirals outward, the area has 3 main cities which each have their own character.

Cities with the smartest growth distribute traffic over various routes and in various directions at the same time. Cities with the most reckless growth are always the ones trying to stuff as many businesses as they can downtown and keeping the ever expanding suburbs for residential neighborhoods. That way everybody can drive on the same expressways in the same direction at the same time during rush hour.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
The problem with the way American cities typically grow, and all those cities fit that mold, is that they grow business in the downtown area and grow residences further and further out. Their growth comes in a way that forces the next 1 million people to travel the same traffic paths at the same time of day as the people currently do. In other words, there is no nodal growth, there is predominantly sprawl. And cities end up doing that because they are so excited about the money that growth brings that they toss planning to the wind and revel in the financial winfall. Then the traffic headaches come and quality of life decreases. People spend more hours in traffic and fewer hours with their family. Stress increases.

Some cities have embraced nodal growth. Denver has built town centers all around its metro area and focused density around those centers. It has the downtown area as well as the Denver Tech Center, as well as Boulder, major sites of employment in different parts of the metro area. The Research Triangle Area in North Carolina is another example. Rather than have one city which continuosly spirals outward, the area has 3 main cities which each have their own character.

Cities with the smartest growth distribute traffic over various routes and in various directions at the same time. Cities with the most reckless growth are always the ones trying to stuff as many businesses as they can downtown and keeping the ever expanding suburbs for residential neighborhoods. That way everybody can drive on the same expressways in the same direction at the same time during rush hour.
This nodal growth occurs in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and Phoenix. The downtown areas are the central business districts, but each one of these cities have several other business districts spread throughout the city area.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:04 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
According to the US census, all of these metros have add one million people into their area, respectively. Which of these metros do you think are growing way too fast (Or can't handle the astronomical amount of growth)???
No such thing as growing too fast. People need to compete.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,755 times
I dont think houston will have a problem with a growing population. Its already a large city (bigger than the others named on the poll) and has an ok trans system so far. I also agree with flyimetro, people need to compete, and almost every city wants more people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City