Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Los Angeles which is better?
Denver 67 54.47%
Los Angeles 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high style View Post
Right, so you agree with me that LA didnt have a building boom until after the fifties...
NO, it had a SKYSCRAPER building boom after the 1950's. Do you get the difference I am talking about? I am speaking strictly of skyscrapers after 1950. LA had a building boom before 1950, just not with tall skyscrapers. But I don't even get why you are arguing about this when Denver didn't have many skyscrapers before 1950 either. It's not anymore of a historical city than Los Angeles.
Quote:
Seriously, if you dont care about the poll results then why are you worried I am "skewing" it??? You seem inconsistent here...
I'm not worried at all, I am just calling you out on the fact that you care and are worried so much about this poll that you have to go tell people to come vote for it. GET IT?? Stop trying to turn this around on me, you just don't like me calling you out on that. Take a look in the mirror before you call others "sad" too b/c trying to fix a poll is pretty "sad" imo.

Quote:
Just curious, if LA is better than Denver then why did it rank so low on the pew study?
Did I say LA was a better city? I don't care whether or not people prefer Denver, I was just correcting you on the false information and assumptions you kept throwing out there. You keep making up stuff and bringing up crap I am not even talking about or interested in discussing. Great you think Denver is better than LA, I DON'T CARE and I was never even discussing that.

Quote:
My take is that LA isnt a place that really intrigues folks. Its a huge city with solid recognition (largely from Hollywood) but does not offer a walkable and vibrant downtown that many popular cities do. The downtown is decentralized and you need a car to get around or perhaps take a cab everywhere. LA is the king of sprawl and suffers greatly from smart urban planning. And honestly that smog is terrible. It is a shame that this economic downturn has stalled some great projects in that city. SF has always been the "city" of California. I think this goes beyond my bay roots bias.
How would you know how walkable and vibrant downtown LA is when you have never been there? This is what I am talking about, you keep throwing out false information about LA, especially downtown LA even though you have never spend any time in DT LA. You don't need a car to get around Downtown LA, it is walkable, and relatively vibrant.

All I was doing is correcting you on your false claims you made about LA. THAT IS IT. I am not arguing about how LA is better than Denver or vice versa but you keep going off on these tangents and creating new arguments that I was not even making. So all I ask is you stop pretending to know what you're talking about when it comes to LA b/c you don't seem to know too much about this city and even less about its history.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM

21 posts, read 83,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
NO, it had a SKYSCRAPER building boom after the 1950's. Do you get the difference I am talking about? I am speaking strictly of skyscrapers after 1950. LA had a building boom before 1950, just not with tall skyscrapers. But I don't even get why you are arguing about this when Denver didn't have many skyscrapers before 1950 either. It's not anymore of a historical city than Los Angeles.
I'm not worried at all, I am just calling you out on the fact that you care and are worried so much about this poll that you have to go tell people to come vote for it. GET IT?? Stop trying to turn this around on me, you just don't like me calling you out on that. Take a look in the mirror before you call others "sad" too b/c trying to fix a poll is pretty "sad" imo.

Did I say LA was a better city? I don't care whether or not people prefer Denver, I was just correcting you on the false information and assumptions you kept throwing out there. You keep making up stuff and bringing up crap I am not even talking about or interested in discussing. Great you think Denver is better than LA, I DON'T CARE and I was never even discussing that.
What false information? did I claim LA was smaller than SF? Did I say that LA does not have a basketball team or isnt 650 square miles? I made a case for why LA's skyline is immature and its downtown lacking a historical district in the conventional sense, which is otfen a product of booming cities at the turn of the century not the fifties...Many cities have an area they call "historical". This is obviously a matter of degree. Denver's LoDo isnt matched by LA's alledged historical district.
How would you know how walkable and vibrant downtown LA is when you have never been there? This is what I am talking about, you keep throwing out false information about LA, especially downtown LA even though you have never spend any time in DT LA. You don't need a car to get around Downtown LA, it is walkable, and relatively vibrant.

I was doing is correcting you on your false claims you made about LA. THAT IS IT. I am not arguing about how LA is better than Denver or vice versa but you keep going off on these tangents and creating new arguments that I was not even making. So all I ask is you stop pretending to know what you're talking about when it comes to LA b/c you don't seem to know too much about this city and even less about its history.
</p>

You are obviously agreeing with my claim that LA didnt have a building boom until after WW2. Its downtown was not developed like other major cities. Thus it lacks a historical district much like we see in other major cities. We can post photos of the city to settle this. i cannot for certain reasons. LA was practically nonexistent in the 20's and 30's. It didnt have much of a downtown nor a skyline that is representive of other cities that era.

Right, you for some reason care about too many Denverites coming over and "skewing" the poll. thus you are worried that this poll may reflect bad on your city - you care about the poll...you cant get out of this one dude

LA is such a car dependent city. Its mass transportation numbers are pathetic. The city itself have several skylines scattered throughout that are quite a distance from each other. The downtown area is also pathetic for its size. Who goes to LA to feel the vibrancy of ist downtown anyways? People go to LA to see disney land (not in city), Hollywood, universal studios etc. Not to walk its urban core.

Please list the false facts I said. You seem to be confusing differing opinions for facts. If that is the case we wouldnt be arguing here...

Remember, I am contrasting LA to Denver and not taking the position that LA isnt walkable at all or it doesnt have any history. To frame my views otherwise is a strawman fallacy.

Last edited by Mile high style; 03-27-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 6,777 times
Denver is lame. Take a look at what people call the number 1 most desirable city in america.

Denver

by skyscraperpage.com
Denver -- Federal Blvd... yeah it's pretty ugly - SkyscraperPage Forum

more like the most ugliest city in America!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,777 times
Denver's skyline sucks too.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high style View Post
</p>
You are obviously agreeing with my claim that LA didnt have a building boom until after WW2. Its downtown was not developed like other major cities. Thus it lacks a historical district much like we see in other major cities. We can post photos of the city to settle this. i cannot for certain reasons. LA was practically nonexistent in the 20's and 30's. It didnt have much of a downtown nor a skyline that is representive of other cities that era.
NO I am not, you really are lacking some reading comprehension here, I said it LACKED SKYSCRAPERS prior to 1950, get it yet?? LA did have a building boom before the 1950's and it does NOT lack a historical district. What don't you get about that??

YOU HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO DOWNTOWN LA need I remind you

LA was NOT non existent in the 20's and 30's, what are you even talking about? By 1930 it had over 1.2 MILLION people, how is that "non existent"? Denver had only 287,000 people by 1930. LA was had over 4 TIMES the amount of people than Denver in 1930.

LA had way more development than Denver by 1930 and has a much bigger historical core district. Go learn some history b/c you have no clue what you're talking about here. I already posted a picture of its core, go look at it again if you need a reminder.
Quote:
Right, you for some reason care about too many Denverites coming over and "skewing" the poll. thus you are worried that this poll may reflect bad on your city - you care about the poll...you cant get out of this one dude
My City? Look at my location, does it say "Los Angeles"? You are the one so worried and concerned about this poll, NOT ME, and that is why you have to go BEG people to vote in it. Stop trying to put your attempt to rig a poll on to me b/c its BS and not working. You care about this poll more than anyone based off your actions.

Quote:
LA is such a car dependent city. Its mass transportation numbers are pathetic. The city itself have several skylines scattered throughout that are quite a distance from each other. The downtown area is also pathetic for its size. Who goes to LA to feel the vibrancy of ist downtown anyways? People go to LA to see disney land (not in city), Hollywood, universal studios etc. Not to walk its urban core.
Ok I already said tourists don't visit downtown and its not geared for them, you are REPEATING what I already said, WHAT IS YOUR POINT?!?! Stop goin off on these tangents, especially ones that I have already addressed.

Quote:
Please list the false facts I said. You seem to be confusing differing opinions for facts. If that is the case we wouldnt be arguing here...
As long as you realize pretty much everything you said and claim is an opinion then fine, I'll leave it at that b/c I am so sick of going back and forth with someone that doesn't know much at all about LA and one who is arguing about Downtown LA despite NEVER HAVING BEEN THERE. If you don't want to believe LA has a historic core, was built up before 1960, or whatever then go ahead and live in that fantasy world. Everyone has opinions no matter how WRONG and OFF BASE they are.

I am so done with this argument and regret even trying to talk some sense and provide some actual facts and knowledge to someone who is very ignorant about the history of Los Angeles.

It's just pointless to argue with a brick wall so go ahead and get the last word and spout off some more baseless opinions b/c I really don't care anymore.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
LA has become one of my all-time favorite cities in part BECAUSE of its vibrant, exciting, walkable downtown, as well as because of its decent public transportation (better than Denver's.)

I agree with the other posters that it's ridiculous to bash another city with made-up, incorrect, or generally misleading information. If nothing else, it really hurts your own argument.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
For readers of this post who might be genuinely interested in learning more about LA's historic downtown, here's a great website with maps, photos, and walking tour information:

USC Geography : LA Walking Tour : Downtown Los Angeles Walking Tour

Also, for what it's worth, much of Hollywood's built environment (which is also very dense, both in terms of buildings and population, and also very well served by heavily used public transportation) is filled with beautiful buildings from the 1920s. Old Pasadena, while technically not within LA city limits, was Pasadena's historic core downtown, and has in recent years been restored and has won all sorts of awards for its renewal. It's a regional destination now, and receives frequent national attention. And finally, as LA and the country continue to age, more respect is being given to midcentury design, including those crazy restaurants and other buildings found scattered throughout LA that feature things like giant donuts and huge hot dogs.

It's rather pointless to argue about whether Denver or LA is "more" historic (or whether LA is at all historic, for that matter); both cities obviously have history, both cities have really started to appreciate and embrace that historical (and architectural) heritage, and both cities have their own stereotypes to overcome. I like Denver, I like LA, but the two cities are really very different. There's no reason why someone can't like both, but still prefer to actually LIVE in one over the other. I, for one, would be more interested in hearing about people's reasons for choosing one place rather than an uninformed opinion of why they think the other place is so horrible.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth be told1245 View Post
Denver is lame. Take a look at what people call the number 1 most desirable city in america.

Denver

by skyscraperpage.com
Denver -- Federal Blvd... yeah it's pretty ugly - SkyscraperPage Forum

more like the most ugliest city in America!
It's ridiculously obvious those pictures are all of one neighborhood, and one street. So...?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I pick L.A...

now, I love some of the rocky mountain cities up there and being in the mountains, but Denver itself is *not* in the mountains...

I thought Denver was pretty Vanilla

Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth be told1245 View Post
Denver's skyline sucks too.
i looked at the pics and was at how awful denver looks.

at first i thought that you were promoting it because i did not see your writing at the beginning

that place is awful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City