Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,572 times

Advertisements

Blame it on the harsh history of the south and the media successfully reinforcing those negative stereotypes. But one thing I want to say is that the only way to break the stereotypes of the south is for southerners to break the narrow point of view they have of the world. Do you notice how much fear they have of people who aren't white??? It's ignorant!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lartei21 View Post
Blame it on the harsh history of the south and the media successfully reinforcing those negative stereotypes. But one thing I want to say is that the only way to break the stereotypes of the south is for southerners to break the narrow point of view they have of the world. Do you notice how much fear they have of people who aren't white??? It's ignorant!!
The only thing I see Moderator cut: unnecessary is everything after the first sentence in the above.

Way to go on your first post.

Last edited by houstoner; 03-30-2009 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 03-29-2009, 04:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The only thing I see Moderator cut: unnecessary is everything after the first sentence in the above.

Way to go on your first post.
I second that. He didn't consider the large percentage of southerners who AREN'T white. Nor did he account for the large percentage (majority) of white southerners who don't fit the lame stereotype.

It's a strikingly similar concept: 1. generalizations and stereotypes of people who aren't white 2. generalizations and stereotypes of people who live in the South. Aren't they both rather ignorant and narrowminded?

Last edited by houstoner; 03-30-2009 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You're right, I do not live there and never have. BUT, I've been to Louisville a few times, and I do know that the vibe there is VERY different from the vibe in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, etc.
How so? Can you be more specific?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Anything remotely related to the South, whether presently or historically, is (usually) viewed with some sort of contempt, embarrassment, or shame on this site. It's as like people want to distance themselves from the South as much as possible.
why is southern often an insult? it is an area where there is more visibility of and more acceptance of:

racism
homophobia
south-shoulda-won-the-civil-war mentality
slavery was there and many still defend and justify it
the "good-old-boy" mindest is alive and well and thriving

granted, these things exist elsewhere but they are more prevalent, and more staunchly defended in, the South. This is based on my personal experience growing up in the south and also living in other parts of the US

it's like post-Holocaust Germany....there is a lot of shame and guilt and hatred that is focused toward that area with regards to a specific part of history, and the acts that went on there, and the mindset that led up to and allowed those events to happen and participated on those events

Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
why is southern often an insult? it is an area where there is more visibility of and more acceptance of:

racism
homophobia
south-shoulda-won-the-civil-war mentality
slavery was there and many still defend and justify it
the "good-old-boy" mindest is alive and well and thriving

granted, these things exist elsewhere but they are more prevalent, and more staunchly defended in, the South. This is based on my personal experience growing up in the south and also living in other parts of the US

it's like post-Holocaust Germany....there is a lot of shame and guilt and hatred that is focused toward that area with regards to a specific part of history, and the acts that went on there, and the mindset that led up to and allowed those events to happen and participated on those events
So basically, you're chiding the South for possessing those attributes despite the fact that they exist everywhere else?

Despite the South's questionable history, those attributes are exceptions to the rule and NOT the rule. That is my point. Why continue to hold them to that when, for the most part, they've moved on and continue to make progress (i.e. attracting new industry)?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
So basically, you're chiding the South for possessing those attributes despite the fact that they exist everywhere else?

Despite the South's questionable history, those attributes are exceptions to the rule and NOT the rule. That is my point. Why continue to hold them to that when, for the most part, they've moved on and continue to make progress (i.e. attracting new industry)?
history does not happen in a vacuum nor does it go away

it is more honest to own up to something and try to understand it, and get why it was wrong in the first place, and prevent it from happening again, than to get all hot and bothered and defensive and try to gloss over it with "that was then this is now" and "it goes on everywhere" and no big deal because "they've moved on"

anyone who is unwilling to talk about it, own up to it, and admit it was wrong still carries those same dangerous attitudes. I "hold them to that" because of the dangerous attitudes that still continue to exist. For instance saying "it's the same everywhere" is one such dangerous attitude.

it is NOT "the same everywhere" and all parts of the country do NOT have the "same" attitudes of racism and homophobia and hatred and defense and justification of bigotry. Talk to people who have lived in different parts of the country and see what feedback you get.

Another dangerous attitude is also given in the post above "they've moved on." Sounds good on paper, the reality is it is still a problem. The way to move on is not through glossing over and saying no big deal, or diminishing the ugliness that happened then and continues now because of many of the same attitudes.

even the phrase "questionable history" is offensive because it implies it may or may not have happened. Like people who say the Holocaust may or may not have happened, and if it did so what. That is a dangerous attitude.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Thread closed for mod review.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Thread reopened. Please stay on-topic.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:34 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,496 times
I think you'll be closing it soon enough.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City