Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:33 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I agree, that's part of how its set up. I was just saying the culture, food people, architecture etc aren't unique. Orlando is mostly made up of people from across the country and world so its has all kinds of cultures, but not a culture of its own. Like a melting pot.
Understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
I agree, that's part of how its set up. I was just saying the culture, food people, architecture etc aren't unique. Orlando is mostly made up of people from across the country and world so its has all kinds of cultures, but not a culture of its own. Like a melting pot.
I think you and Lovin' have perfectly described some of Orlando's most unique attributes.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:12 PM

192 posts, read 450,946 times
I've traveled all over Europe, Canada, Mexico and the USA. I have lived in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco Minneapolis and Saint Paul. The most unique place I've ever been to in the USA is Duluth, MN. People told me to go there for years and when I finally made the drive I was shocked. My ears popped as we started the drive up the hill into the city which was weird because there are no big mountain ranges around in Northern Minnesota. The giant hills just appeared out of nowhere it seemed. People told me "it's like out west..." but I never believed them. I was totally wrong. I did not expect to see a super hilly, (think as big or bigger than San Francisco or Seattle type hills, yes that big or bigger) in any city in the midwest much less Minnesota. The main hill in Duluth cascades sharply down to that most unique of geological features on planet earth, the giant inland sea of Superior. It was reminiscent of driving into the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state or into Northern Norway or something, but it's own thing of course. With it's maritime climate in Northern Minnesota, 400 years of history, it's harbor filled with huge ore boats, "lakers" (yes, L.A. got the team name from the Minneapolis Lakers) sailing around the Great lakes in the midwest and the "salties" sailing into Duluth from all over the world it is quite unique place. Duluth is the largest farthest inland port on planet Earth. The Port of Duluth handles twice the tonnage of the Ports of Seattle and Portland combined! There are pleasure and sail boats as far as you can see in the giant fresh water lake. In terms of purely uniqueness I no nowhere like Duluth. I just did not expect to find that many hills, that long vibrant history and that much water! in Northern Minnesota of all places. Duluth, MN is one of the most unique places on planet earth.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
NYC
San Francisco
New Orleans
Boston
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Honolulu

Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM

192 posts, read 450,946 times
Duluth, MN hands down!
The world's largest farthest inland seaport on the world's largest lake surrounded by giant hills bigger than San Francisco, right in Minnesota of all places. Duluth, MN is so unique it is actually surreal.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 5,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
There are Too many to mention , but I have to add a few more...

1. Santa Fe New Mexico

2.Alburq New Mexico

3. Niagara Falls

4. Portland Oregon one of the most Radical Cities in the world

5.Savannah GA

6.Charleston SC

7. Columbia SC

8.Boise ID
Portland's spirit and sense of community foster a unique, laid-back vibe. It's a place where anything is possible.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:25 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
About 100 or so years ago Mark Twain said that their are only 4 unique cities in the country. What do you think they are today?

Boston
New York City
Washington D.C.
Chicago
San Francisco
Top four unique cities:

Santa Fe/Albuquerque -- close enough geographically to be considered one place. Connected by commuter rail and lived as almost a single place by locals. Old cities that predate most of American history as generally perceived.

New Orleans -- no explanation needed. French, Creole, port city.

Miami -- essentially a Caribbean city now.

Las Vegas -- nothing else like it in the US.

If I could have five the next one would be Washington DC.

The next tier of five could be selected from a bunch including Honolulu, probably San Diego or San Francisco, Boston, NYC, LA, SLC, Charleston, Seattle, Chicago.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:25 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Orlando is not unique. It’s probably my least favorite conference destination in the country because everywhere within reasonable driving distance of the major hotels is endless chains and strip malls. Major cities in this entire country are melting pots, Orlando isn’t unique in that. I’ve never come back from a trip to Orlando and felt that sine qua non feeling of “man I traveled somewhere.”

Old 05-08-2023, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Orlando is not unique. It’s probably my least favorite conference destination in the country because everywhere within reasonable driving distance of the major hotels is endless chains and strip malls. Major cities in this entire country are melting pots, Orlando isn’t unique in that. I’ve never come back from a trip to Orlando and felt that sine qua non feeling of “man I traveled somewhere.”
How could the area that has by far the largest and most popular theme parks in the entire world not be unique?

Last edited by meowDepie; 05-08-2023 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-08-2023, 09:33 AM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davossel View Post
Portland's spirit and sense of community foster a unique, laid-back vibe. It's a place where anything is possible.
Portland has taken a nosedive, IMO. All the stores leaving, pics of tents on streets in neighborhoods and downtown...would be one of my very last choices to live. I guess it might be unique in that fact that it used to be a desirable city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City