Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,342 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a lot of hate for LA. Why? Because it's ugly or polluted? Crime filled?

I'm curious

Last edited by Americanboy; 03-29-2009 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:02 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
There seems to be a lot of hate for LA. Why?
Considering all the polls\ feedback, I would concentrate more on why Houston is viewed so poorly rather than Los Angeles

Old 03-29-2009, 05:08 PM

83 posts, read 279,855 times
I think because LA is a very difficult place to visit - unlike many major American cities, it has few iconic photospots, is virtually inaccessible by foot, and a wrong turn in your rental car can land you in a neighborhood that resembles a scene from "Training Day". It is the originator of urban sprawl, and really does not have a city center or "downtown" you can hang your hat on.

Midwestern tourists expecting dinner at the Olive Garden followed by a few Bud lights at a dueling piano bar filled with movie stars always leave dissapointed. The fact that their waiters are all incredibly attractive failed actors only adds to the weird impression. It is a tale as old as time.

I enjoyed living there, and I think SoCal in general is incredible. It is almost sinful how much their is to do there, YEAR round. Whenever visitors came my way, I would send them down to San Diego without exception - LA is very much an "insiders" city.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM

165 posts, read 605,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuato View Post
I enjoyed living there, and I think SoCal in general is incredible. It is almost sinful how much their is to do there, YEAR round.
what sort of stuff can you do?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,811 times
Quote:
I think because LA is a very difficult place to visit - unlike many major American cities, it has few iconic photospots, is virtually inaccessible by foot, and a wrong turn in your rental car can land you in a neighborhood that resembles a scene from "Training Day". It is the originator of urban sprawl, and really does not have a city center or "downtown" you can hang your hat on.

Midwestern tourists expecting dinner at the Olive Garden followed by a few Bud lights at a dueling piano bar filled with movie stars always leave dissapointed. The fact that their waiters are all incredibly attractive failed actors only adds to the weird impression. It is a tale as old as time.

I enjoyed living there, and I think SoCal in general is incredible. It is almost sinful how much their is to do there, YEAR round. Whenever visitors came my way, I would send them down to San Diego without exception - LA is very much an "insiders" city.
Wow,very well said.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post
what sort of stuff can you do?
Skiing, surfing, hiking.

Most people looking for that ideal " laid-back California lifestyle" would be best served somewhere else like Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara or San Diego.

Most people are especially surprised how dumpy Hollywood is, and how it looks nothing like what they see on those stupid television shows on MTV. LA can be good if you scratch the surface and I can see how a tourist would dislike Los Angeles if they didn't explore.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:22 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:

Funny, I don't know anyone from the Midwest who has gone to LA to eat at the Olive Garden. Most of my friends have gone to San Francisco, though, not LA (and none have eaten at the Olive Garden in SF either).

Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
I love LA, and especially love Hollywood (lived there for a couple of years). I agree that LA is a tough city to visit - people hit the tourist hot spots, expect the city to be all clean and polished and Disney-esque, and are shocked that the reality is a lot more complex.

People also have a mythical vision pushed by pop culture. Some people love the view of LA as a place filled with people driving to the beach, while others hate it.

When my family and friends visited LA I'd always bring them downtown, Hollywood (we lived there, so they saw the neighborhood and not just Hollywood and Highland), plus Griffith Park (among other things). We went by bus, train, and foot, too, as I don't drive. Also, I think that one of the best ways to get to know the non-touristy side of LA is to experience it via public transportation.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Funny, I don't know anyone from the Midwest who has gone to LA to eat at the Olive Garden. Most of my friends have gone to San Francisco, though, not LA (and none have eaten at the Olive Garden in SF either).
I walked through the Olive Garden in Times Square a few years ago to use the restroom and everyone seemed to have a Midwestern accent. A lot of them had on fanny-packs and wore terrible shoes. I bet they were from Chicago or Milwaukee.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Probably because there isn't an Olive Garden in the L.A. city limits and only 17 in the entire metropolitan area. Most of them are in the suburbs. I think his point was an 'Olive Garden' type generic place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City