Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I havent been to all the Southern cities but from the ones I have been to I think Memphis is the ugliest by far, I actually think the small towns are alot more attractive in apperance than the cities are in the South.
Much of Memphis is dirty, particularly areas just east of downtown, as well as southeast of downtown. Only until you get out toward Germantown, Bartlett, or Cordova does it become nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I agree. Mountain Brook is beautiful, complete with three distinct retail villages, beautiful treen-lined streets on winding, curvy streets. It's fantastic. I can't think of many places in the U.S. where one could have such a good quality of life.
We'd better leave it at that. The Mountain Brookers that I know don't want the word to get out.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Much of Memphis is dirty, particularly areas just east of downtown, as well as southeast of downtown. Only until you get out toward Germantown, Bartlett, or Codova does it become nice.
East Memphis has beautiful neighborhoods and a great shopping district along Poplar Avenue.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Miami is pretty ugly away from the tourist and high-end residential areas. Some of ther burbs are nice, espacially Coral Gables. Jacksonville and Tampa are pretty ugly. New Orleans has some pretty ugly areas, but they are offset by many very beautiful areas. I really liked Charleston, down in the oldest part ot town. Birmingham, I wasn't expecting much, but was really impressed with the 5 Points area and the downtown area. The western parts of the city and the western suburbs I drove through were very ugly. The upscale suburbs I drove through on the east side seemed nice, but nothing special.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Miami is pretty ugly away from the tourist and high-end residential areas. Some of ther burbs are nice, espacially Coral Gables. Jacksonville and Tampa are pretty ugly. New Orleans has some pretty ugly areas, but they are offset by many very beautiful areas. I really liked Charleston, down in the oldest part ot town. Birmingham, I wasn't expecting much, but was really impressed with the 5 Points area and the downtown area. The western parts of the city and the western suburbs I drove through were very ugly. The upscale suburbs I drove through on the east side seemed nice, but nothing special.
Fairfield, Midland, and Bessemer are the worst parts of metro Birmingham. The southern suburbs are the nicest. Nothing is special about Irondale on the east side.

However, Mountain Brook, Hoover, Homewood, and Vestavia Hills are very nice.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:59 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,428 times
Well, some people might like those things City Fanatic, but I prefer a good public transportation system to roads, don't care for big yards and the yardwork that comes with them, not a fan of the big box store shopping, and prefer the older brownstone and rowhouse designs to the suburban homes that tend to look a like to me. I also like the more liberal vibe of the city. To each their own I suppose

Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I havent been to all the Southern cities but from the ones I have been to I think Memphis is the ugliest by far, I actually think the small towns are alot more attractive in apperance than the cities are in the South.
Wow. You haven't actually been to Memphis then. Either that, or you hate mile after mile of historic Victorian houses hidden by old growth poplars, elms and oaks.

Quote:
I find Houston to be not very attractive.
Then get off the freeway. Mine isn't a city looking to impress those who aren't willing to explore it.

Quote:
Much of Memphis is dirty, particularly areas just east of downtown, as well as southeast of downtown. Only until you get out toward Germantown, Bartlett, or Cordova does it become nice.
Straight to the plastic suburbs and completely dismissing historic Midtown? Does history automatically equal dirty?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Wow. You haven't actually been to Memphis then. Either that, or you hate mile after mile of historic Victorian houses hidden by old growth poplars, elms and oaks.

Then get off the freeway. Mine isn't a city looking to impress those who aren't willing to explore it.

Straight to the plastic suburbs and completely dismissing historic Midtown? Does history automatically equal dirty?
I don't remember Memphis being ugly either. I mean, every city has it's ugly points. When we are visiting a city, we always make a point to see it's historical district...and while in Memphis, Beale St

Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post

What makes you think that I've only seen it from the freeway. Even then, you're admitting that Houston's freeways are ugly?

The Clear Lake area is nice, as is the Galleria area, the Woodlands, and Conroe. There are other areas. Overall, though, I wasn't impressed with the look of the eastern Houston area, with its massive oil refineries towering over the horizon, or the tackiness of its freeway advertising (everywhere, and to the extreme), or its mediocre beaches in Galveston.

Quote:
If I recall, if you drive from the east heading west along I-40, and you instead continue west onto what was originally supposed to be I-40 (west of where I-40 shifts onto the loop), this freeway dead-ends into some very slummy, hardcore neighborhoods.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I don't remember Memphis being ugly either. I mean, every city has it's ugly points. When we are visiting a city, we always make a point to see it's historical district...and while in Memphis, Beale St
Beale Street is nice. I have no problem with the historic areas that are nice, but let's be honest, Memphis has a huge percentage of its area that is slummy in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City