Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times

Advertisements

Never been, but it doesn't seem like such a bad place. The short daytime hours during the winter would be a ***** though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM

322 posts, read 902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
As long as I did not live next door to Sarah Palin
Well then don't move to Russia.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
How far is Fairbanks from Anchorage? Plus you could always fly down to Seattle for a little more action. I would love to experience a "real" winter & a summer of total sunshine
Fairbanks to Anchorage is a 5.5 hour drive. People in Fairbanks don't think going to Anchorage for the weekend is a big deal.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 AM

I have written numerous posts in the Alaska forum about WHY people should carefully investigate exactly what it is they are getting into before moving to Alaska. I do not like this place and plan on moving in four months - to Texas. That does not mean that Alaska is an awful place, but let me put it this way, there are a select group of people who will be happier for their move to Alaska. Those people will generally be unhappy living elsewhere. There are also people who grew up in Alaska and tolerate it. It is HARD to live here. The lack of daylight and the length of the winter are major bummers. Yes, you get a yearly check (called a PFD) to live here AFTER you've lived through one full year (January - December). No, it is not worth it to move here to receive PFD's, no matter how many children you have in your family because it costs more to live here. If your motivation for moving Alaska is simply to escape life in the contiguous 48 states (the rat race, materialism, whatever impending apocalpyse you believe is going to destroy life as you know it) then you will be happier moving to the Big Island of Hawaii. At least then when you are stranded regretting leaving it all behind, you will have warm weather, sunshine, and can grow food year round if you can't find a job.

Alaska might even qualify as "class M" on most days. There are some breathtaking sights. However, you might want to make sure that you actually want to live in Alaska and didn't just enjoy your vacation. Also make sure that said vacation did not occur in the summer. It is really hard not to like this place in the summer because the summers are beautiful. However, to LIVE here, you must ask yourself if the summer is worth the winter. Even if you live in a place that has winter, it is likely not as long and brutal as here. The days in Fairbanks are less than 3 hours long around winter solstice. If you hate going to work in the dark, don't move here.

But yes, even if you move to Anchorage (which Alaskans lovingly call "Los Anchorage" because it is a big city by Alaska standards) you are isolated from the rest of the country. If you are not really into outdoors activities like hunting and fishing, this is probably not the place for you - not because there is nothing else to do (after all Fairbanks has bars, restaurants, umpteen arts festivals, and a movie theater) but because that is the selling point of living in Alaska. If you are going to spend most of your time on entertainment you can do elsewhere, then you can get it far cheaper than you can here.

So yes, Alaska is a beautiful place with breathtaking views. If you wish to commune often with nature here yearround - and that includes winter, then it will be a good choice for you. If most of your desired leisure activities are not nature centered, then there are far better choices for you. If you think, "I might could live in Anchorage, maybe," then there is probably a better city for you in the contiguous 48. If you are young and single and still think Alaska is a great idea, then the worst you'll lose is some money. If you have a job offer in Alaska and want to consider it for your family, then move only essentials and give it a try before truly investing in it. If you have a family to support, then please, do not decide to sell all your stuff and move everyone to Alaska without first securing employment. Really. Please. Alaska is a harsh taskmaster that constantly challenges the character of those who live here. Those who make it and love it relish embracing the challenge again and again, proving themselves victorious. If that is not what you want out of life, then please reconsider. If it is, well then, maybe you should move to Alaska.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,203 times
It's the most beautiful state IMO

I would have to get paid a lot of money to do it, but Anchorage would be the city I'd move to

Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM

I forgot to add another piece of advice to my post, because it comes up from time to time on the Alaska board. "How do I convince my significant other to move to Alaska?' If the SO is not thrilled about the idea of moving to Alaska and you continue on this path, the relationship may end. I have met more than one single man who is single because his wife or live-in girlfriend decided that she valued not living in Alaska more than she valued the relationship (or he valued living in Alaska more than he valued the relationship). It's not always the woman - sometimes it's the man, but for some reason, women seem to develop a hatred of living in Alaska more often than men. And I have even met guys who thought they were safe by marrying local girls, only to have the woman still decide she couldn't stand living here and wanted to move to the "lower 48." But be forewarned, moving to Alaska with a less than enthusiastic spouse can lead to divorce.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I could live part of the year there, maybe in the summer. But the winter, with the extreme temperatures, constant darkness, being cooped up indoors would feel like solitary confinement.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 84,117 times
It would be nice to live in Alaska.
It's not like every other state.
It looks beautiful, and it would be a great experience.
I heard that it is also very safe there.

However, I have heard that it is hard to find jobs there.
So... I probably wouldn't end up living there.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,058 times
I couldn't live in Alaska because I'm cold when it's 75 degrees out. I do think it's drop-dead gorgeous, though.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
Fairbanks to Anchorage is a 5.5 hour drive. People in Fairbanks don't think going to Anchorage for the weekend is a big deal.
It isn't a big deal. Just a little farther than I am from Portland and that's no big deal. I was surprised to find out the two were so close. I thought they'd be farther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
It's the most beautiful state IMO

I would have to get paid a lot of money to do it, but Anchorage would be the city I'd move to
I think they're still paying people who have lived there a year, right? Oil dividends or something like that?

I think I could live in Alaska. A friend of mine who grew up there told me the summers are just perfect. And the winters in many parts aren't all that bad. But in others... Almost a 100 degree difference in summer highs and winter lows... Wow. Maybe I will move up there someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City