Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:50 PM

105 posts, read 373,857 times

Advertisements

Those are some good points, although I disagree about Union Square and Michigan Avenue. 16th and Mission is another interesting and very pedestrian dense area in SF that is quite far from downtown.

Also, not sure that Chicago's downtown is that much larger (I guess financial district is)...To me downtown SF is everything East of Van Ness and north of 4th or 5th Avenue. I would count Chinatown, North Beach, parts of SOMA, etc as part of downtown SF.

Chicago's skyline is far bigger than SF's though, so that adds a certain dimension, but to me the pedestrian traffic in SF feels more 'vibrant'. Both are great cities either way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Live in Chicago and have been to San Francisco many times. To me the neighborhood vibrancy feels about the same in both cities. Chicago has a much larger downtown and I think the foot traffic on Michigan Avenue tops Union Square. I do think San Francisco has a more consistent urban fabric than Chicago and an overall better layout. Some of Chicago's urban character can feel a bit patchwork like.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:56 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy View Post
But I have to say part of what I like about Chicago is that it looks like a huge city but feels like a small town.

There's nothing small town about Chicago at all.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
Which is strange, because Chicago has a larger population (although metro areas are somewhat similar) and a bigger skyline.

But downtown San Francisco to me feels more like a big city than Chicago...so many people, the density and diversity is overwhelming. And even outside of downtown there are incredibly vibrant neighborhoods. The entire city is surprisingly urban and cosmopolitan.

Chicago is happening, but nothing in Chicago can quite rival the hustle and bustle of Union Square, Chinatown, North Beach, or even the Mission.

Ive lived in both cities (ok, I lived in Evanston, but spent a lot of time in Chicago) and loved them both, but San Fran is second only to NYC (which is a whole 'nother level) in terms of urban vibrancy.

Chicago's architecture is hard to beat, though.
You are comparing apples to oranges here.

San Francisco and Chicago are entirely different cities and are "vibrant" in different ways.

Chicago has more of a friendlier, down to earth, different vibe than the hippy ultra liberal San Francisco vibe. San Francisco feels more dense because it's much more compact and it has a much better Asian culture than Chicago, though Chicago has a much better Mexican and European culture.

Chicago has much more of a party vibe and more of a 24 hour feel to it than I thought San Francisco had as well.

But I can't say Chicago beats San Francisco architecture. Downtown it may, but I love the San Francisco houses that surround the rest of the city.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
I'm so god damn sick of the word "vibrant." Are you easily amused by neon lights or what? It's a throwaway word which takes the place of an articulated description.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Agreed, Chicago looks bigger from just judging the skyline... But it feels like you are in a bigger mass and lost in the environment in San Fran... more hustle bustle, more organic. In Chicago after there for awhile, you can get the feeling like you run the place as you often see the same people over and over even though it looks huge. There is just more stuff in SF in that tight packed area... And for someone like me that is a good thing... I lived in Chicago 4 years and never really cared to get out of downtown and a few neighborhoods, I could care less about the south and west side massive ghettos or the entire metro area as a whole... SF is def more walkable to get places. Chicago has just as much stuff but it is way more spread out in the neighborhoods throughout the city.

Driving in SF looks pretty tiny compared to driving in to Chicago... but once you get down there it feels anything but tiny.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:09 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There's nothing small town about Chicago at all.
Except the "small town" feel that exists in their bars!...

Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges here.

San Francisco and Chicago are entirely different cities and are "vibrant" in different ways.

Chicago has more of a friendlier, down to earth, different vibe than the hippy ultra liberal San Francisco vibe. San Francisco feels more dense because it's much more compact and it has a much better Asian culture than Chicago, though Chicago has a much better Mexican and European culture.

Chicago has much more of a party vibe and more of a 24 hour feel to it than I thought San Francisco had as well.

But I can't say Chicago beats San Francisco architecture. Downtown it may, but I love the San Francisco houses that surround the rest of the city.
By "better european culture", you do mean Eastern European don't you? The European countries that just became members of the E.U., or still haven't. People from Poland or the Balkins make up the most %'s in Chicago. There're not cultured like the ones in Western Europe are.

And the "better Mixican culture"?...........

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,301 times
I don't really understand the concept of the OP. It 'feels' bigger or smaller? Not sure how that's even possible. They both 'feel' about the same to me, size-wise. They're both the centers of like-sized metros.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I don't really understand the concept of the OP. It 'feels' bigger or smaller? Not sure how that's even possible. They both 'feel' about the same to me, size-wise. They're both the centers of like-sized metros.
I understand what he means. For example, take Pittsburgh, the city population is down to 312,000 people, but it feels bigger. And that's cause it's pretty compact, and it once had a population of around 700,000. Therefore, it has things that a city of it's size (today's population) wouldn't have. Having 3 Pro sports teams, great museums, culture, etc.

P.S. And I forgot to mention that Pittsburgh's skyline has alot to do with it too. For the current population Pittsburgh has, it's skyline makes the city look MUCH bigger!

Last edited by pittsteelerfan; 04-05-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
There is more going on, it is more dense, feel wise, and statistically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City