Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 09:15 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,199,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I grew up in Chicago and I lived near San Jose for around 3 years. San Francisco is technically denser, but it's also much smaller. And Chicago's density includes huge swaths of industrial land near the Calumet River- of course it's going to be less dense. No one goes down there, though, so it doesn't really matter.
Exactly. That's why you have to experience a city for yourself to determine its true density. Structural density and the way cities are urbanized goes a long way, and population density figures don't pick up on it.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,325,911 times
Quote:
I grew up in Chicago and I lived near San Jose for around 3 years. San Francisco is technically denser, but it's also much smaller. And Chicago's density includes huge swaths of industrial land near the Calumet River- of course it's going to be less dense. No one goes down there, though, so it doesn't really matter.
Ya calumet has absolutley NO people. If you were to take that away the desity would probably be around 15,000 people/square mile still less that SF

Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Exactly. That's why you have to experience a city for yourself to determine its true density. Structural density and the way cities are urbanized goes a long way, and population density figures don't pick up on it.
That's why people will defend Houston when people comment on it's density and compare it to other cities. How the hell do you compare 601 sqm to 30 sqm, and actually try to make a point

Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,805,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
Better Mexican culture? Are you joking? San Francisco has 1.) A stronger hispanic heritage, 2.) a more defined and unique hispanic neighborhood (Mission), and FAR better Mexican food. Bay Area as a whole is nearly 25% mexican!

Chicago does have more of the 'ethnic' European style feel to it, although SF has many foreign-born Europeans.

Also, certain neighborhoods in SF have as much of a party vibe as anywhere in Chicago, with streets packed with people, bars, etc.
You basically repeated everything I said.

The cities are two completely different breeds with different definitions of "culture" (which is such a BS word if you ask me).

Both cites are extremely fun to be in but are very different.

Again, you're comparing cities that are completely different and have different vibes and people.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:08 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,249,038 times
When it comes to amount of Mexicans and other latino people, you can't just look at the cities of SF and Chicago. You have to look at their metro areas:

Chicago:
9,785,747 CSA Population
1,494,657 hispanic
15% of CSA is hispanic
28% of Chicago is hispanic

Bay Area:
7,264,887 CSA population
2,358,182 hispanic
32% of CSA is Hispanic
14% of San Francisco is hispanic

Chicago does have a very large hispanic population, larger by raw numbers and percentage when compared to SF city proper, but SF is much smaller than Chicago in size, and the Bay Area as a whole has a much larger hispanic population than metro chicago (in a smaller land area too)...and it's not just comprised of mexicans but many central americans too. Remember, this is California we're talking about, and even Illinois can't beat us in terms of Hispanic population/influence/history. I mean, California used to be PART of Mexico.

Illinois' hispanic population has to be much more recent and overall less established too, because of this.

Last edited by rah; 04-06-2009 at 03:28 AM..

Old 04-06-2009, 03:19 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,687,913 times

Old 04-06-2009, 03:20 AM

205 posts, read 721,263 times
I agree about SF feeling more urban and dense over Chicago and also agree that Chicago feels more like a neighborhood of neighborhoods with big buildings in the loop while SF has more urban neighborhoods and a more dense feel to it. The downtowns in both cities is great. I wish SF would get the big ol' supertalls they keep hyping up.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 AM

105 posts, read 374,096 times
Wow, I am surprised by that myself. Having lived in both cities (or Evanston), I felt a much stronger Mexican influence in SF and the bay area. And the bay area as a whole has nearlytwice as many Hispanics as Chicagoland (in %, see Rahs post earlier) But there are vast areas in the Bay Area (i.e. South San Jose, Redwood City, parts of Hayward, Mission District in SF) that are more "Mexican" feeling than anywhere I can remember in Chicagoland.

Mexican culture has been around in SF and the bay area for much longer, and the influence (at least to me) is clearly stronger there. Also, the Central Valley to the east and the Central Coast towns to South have huge mexican populations.

The mexican food in the Bay Area is also, IMO, infinitely better than in Chicago. I lived in Tucson for 5 years and actually thought taquerias in San Jose, Redwood City, and San Francisco were better than the places in Tucson. On a tangent, Chicago has the best pizza and hot dogs Ive ever had though. I payed way too much to have a Lou Malnattis pizza delivered to me here in Seattle. Also miss Italian beef...cant find it anywhere on the west coast. And Greektown, damn good Greek food there...

But the mexican food in the bay area, especially the burritos and tacos at the hole-in-the-wall taquerias, are unbelievable. This place, El Farolito, might have the best food Ive ever had anywhere...

the little light to my soul | Yelp

Its tragic how horrible the Mexican food in Seattle is...

Quote:
Wow, I knew Chicago had more Mexicans, but twice as many? Damn.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:36 AM

205 posts, read 721,263 times
The pizza in Seattle sucks too!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,687,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
Wow, I am surprised by that myself. Having lived in both cities (or Evanston), I felt a much stronger Mexican influence in SF and the bay area. And the bay area as a whole has nearlytwice as many Hispanics as Chicagoland (in %, see Rahs post earlier) But there are vast areas in the Bay Area (i.e. South San Jose, Redwood City, parts of Hayward, Mission District in SF) that are more "Mexican" feeling than anywhere I can remember in Chicagoland.

Mexican culture has been around in SF and the bay area for much longer, and the influence (at least to me) is clearly stronger there. Also, the Central Valley to the east and the Central Coast towns to South have huge mexican populations.

The mexican food in the Bay Area is also, IMO, infinitely better than in Chicago. I lived in Tucson for 5 years and actually thought taquerias in San Jose, Redwood City, and San Francisco were better than the places in Tucson. On a tangent, Chicago has the best pizza and hot dogs Ive ever had though. I payed way too much to have a Lou Malnattis pizza delivered to me here in Seattle. Also miss Italian beef...cant find it anywhere on the west coast. And Greektown, damn good Greek food there...

But the mexican food in the bay area, especially the burritos and tacos at the hole-in-the-wall taquerias, are unbelievable. This place, El Farolito, might have the best food Ive ever had anywhere...

the little light to my soul | Yelp

Its tragic how horrible the Mexican food in Seattle is...
Yeah it goes back to California being a part of Mexico. The picture I posted is of Mission San Francisco De Asis or more commonly known as Mission Dolores and it's the oldest standing building in SF.
Chicago might have more Hispanics but SF has the History and the Culture of them.
A drive through the Mission District is all you need.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I think there's more murals in the Mission than any other neighborhood in the US,I could be wrong though.

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.