Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:13 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You have got to be kidding me about the Dodgers game experience? It's a total gang and thug fest with a lot of Latin gangs in particular. Then again, I'm sure someone will argue that going to Raiders games is a family friendly experience.
Wow! Really?? I did not know it is that bad now. The last time I went to a Dodger game(1996), Mike Piazza was the catcher. Was it that bad back then too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 04:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Wow! Really?? I did not know it is that bad now. The last time I went to a Dodger game(1996), Mike Piazza was the catcher. Was it that bad back then too?
Oh well, that's why! Go there now, it's hideous. It was different then.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,517 times
Quote:
You have got to be kidding me about the Dodgers game experience? It's a total gang and thug fest with a lot of Latin gangs in particular. Then again, I'm sure someone will argue that going to Raiders games is a family friendly experience.
No, I'm not kidding...then again I don't buy the cheapseats, usually get club level or something that's not in the outfield. If you're going cheap and buying outfield seats then yes, it might get a little more rowdy. However, this full on gang experience you're talking about is a bit over the top, I've never seen or heard of it being as bad as you make it out to be. Maybe, being from Arizona, you're a little more sensitive to crowds then people from SoCal are? Or maybe you had one bad experience and assume that's the norm. I've not had your experience, even when I did sit in the outfield on a trip arrange by my son's cub scout troop, which were outfield seats. It was all good for us.

As for the Raiders--don't get seats in the black hole (meaning, pony up for better seats) and you'd probably have a good time. You'll find more low-brow behavior in the cheapest seating. That's the perk for putting out a little more cash--you get a more pleasant experience. Simple economics.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Oh well, that's why! Go there now, it's hideous. It was different then.
Not to turn this into a sports discussion but it seems to me Dodger fans are not as passionate about their team in comparison to fans in other cities like San Francisco or New York. In an earlier post you mentioned how the quality of the people attending Dodger games now are not as good(I'm paraphrasing what you said). Would you say that overall, the population in Phoenix is better and nicer? And you are so right about Laker tickets now being too expensive. Last season I couldn't even find tickets that were affordable enough to go see the Lakers play the Suns. Its just outrageously priced, I don't understand why It seems EVERYTHING in LA is expensive now. Good thing you left, it was a wise decision IMO.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM

Again, simple economics. Lakers are THE hot ticket in town, so the demand for tickets vs the short supply raises the price. That's the way it is.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
Again, simple economics. Lakers are THE hot ticket in town, so the demand for tickets vs the short supply raises the price. That's the way it is.
Many people would gladly pay the $$$ for Dodger, etc. tickets in LA...........just that many of us here in the Phx area do not see the point.

Then again; compared to even 10 years ago (I am age 52 now); the 'plastic/glitzy' SoCal scene does nothing for me.............hell, I even detest Scottsdale now.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 PM

Just because SoCal isn't your cup of tea doesn't make it a wasteland. SoCal is perfectly fine in many, even most, areas. It's just a matter of preference. There are certainly areas of Arizona that are unsavory for some, but other people like them.

Sure, SoCal is more expensive to live in but that's mostly because of demand for housing and the higher paying jobs. Again, simple economics. If you don't like the area or cannot command a higher wage in a more expensive area, then you find a place more suitable to your lifestyle preferences and capabilities.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Just because SoCal isn't your cup of tea doesn't make it a wasteland. SoCal is perfectly fine in many, even most, areas. It's just a matter of preference. There are certainly areas of Arizona that are unsavory for some, but other people like them.

Sure, SoCal is more expensive to live in but that's mostly because of demand for housing and the higher paying jobs. Again, simple economics. If you don't like the area or cannot command a higher wage in a more expensive area, then you find a place more suitable to your lifestyle preferences and capabilities.
Southern CA has become more expensive because people have kept on moving here. The more people that move into an area, house prices will go up. How is that such a good thing? And furthermore, in some other international cities its possible to rent a bigger place and pay less $$$. I'm not saying SoCal is perfect but if I had a choice, I'd probably lean towards going to another state if the national economy wasn't so poor.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 AM

You basically just said "supply and demand" which was my point in the first place. I guess we agree.

CA is popular because of it's great climate and job opportunities. So it goes. Nobody MUST live here, but many people want to. That's their choice, can't close the borders to other states that would be ludicrous. So, if it gets too populated for your tastes then move on.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:

Remember too that the LA area; unlike here (Phx) would likely dry up and blow away if the illegal alien population disappeared------------Americans as a group will not live in borderline Third World conditions (2-4 families to a small house, etc.).

Either the above scenario or housing prices would crash down to the point that regular working people could afford to live there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City