Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs DC
Philadelphia 127 48.11%
Washington, D.C. 137 51.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

DC's downtown kills Philly for office space and daytime population all without skyscrapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
Philly. City of distinct neighborhoods. DC is ok.....

Old 04-12-2009, 08:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC's downtown kills Philly for office space and daytime population all without skyscrapers.
Dc "kills" *every city for office space. Why? How about the overstuffed corpulent federal government.

While every other city in the US has to fight and claw for survival Washington DC keeps writing itself blank checks, builds more office space and siphons established companies from other parts of the country into Washington DC.All on the back of citizens from cities like Philadelphia. For that reason alone Philadelphia should win this battle.

Washington loses this matchup by default imo. Every penny of federal income tax earned in this country ends up in Washington DC and pretty much stays in Washington DC.

* except Manhattan and Chicago.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM

You sound sour!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
You sound sour!
And quite frankly you sound like a pompous DC windbag.

I was simply reinforcing some reasons explaining your braggadocious claims on why DC "kills" Philadlephia in office space. At least Philadlephias growth is earnest,authenic and real. DC's growth is almost parasitical,demagogic, spongelike.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Center City Philadelphia does pretty well all without the Federal Government writing blank checks to feed its economy.

And what would downtown Washington look like today if the capital was built in its rightful place in 1800? Philadelphia, the wealthiest, most essential, most vibrant metropolis of the new world.

Nothing against Va/MD but the capital should have ended up on the banks of the Delaware(SE Pennsylvania) not the banks of the swampish Potomac.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Dc "kills" *every city for office space. Why? How about the overstuffed corpulent federal government.

While every other city in the US has to fight and claw for survival Washington DC keeps writing itself blank checks, builds more office space and siphons established companies from other parts of the country into Washington DC.All on the back of citizens from cities like Philadelphia. For that reason alone Philadelphia should win this battle.

Washington loses this matchup by default imo. Every penny of federal income tax earned in this country ends up in Washington DC and pretty much stays in Washington DC.

* except Manhattan and Chicago.
You're right. I'm a piece of crap for moving to DC in 3 days. I'm an underpaid DC firefighter that can barely afford rent in the city, but I deserve it because I stole all of your money.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Center City Philadelphia does pretty well all without the Federal Government writing blank checks to feed its economy.

And what would downtown Washington look like today if the capital was built in its rightful place in 1800? Philadelphia, the wealthiest, most essential, most vibrant metropolis of the new world.

Nothing against Va/MD but the capital should have ended up on the banks of the Delaware(SE Pennsylvania) not the banks of the swampish Potomac.

Nah, the Potomac is just fine. Picked a good spot.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:29 PM

You should come to DC and protest that the capital be returned to its rightful place! Maybe a hunger strike and then post up in Lafeyette Square so Obama can see your signage!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Personally, my vote is for DC b/c I would have a job there within two weeks in my industry...Philly might be a little tougher. But they're both really cool cities. I'm going to back in DC in June; can't wait.

I do hate DC United though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City