Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Climate would you Live in or Prefer?
Mediterranean Climate(CA) 35 67.31%
Subtropical 17 32.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,860 times

Advertisements

No contest.

Humid = sweaty, moldy, musty, and smelly. If like this, be my guest.

Give me California, 24/7/365! Sun without the sweat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,356 times
I prefer tropical. I would not like the rain every day, but I really enjoy storms sometimes where my place in Florida is, you can watch the ocean during the storm. And if the storm is not too dangerous I will take the boat out.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,203 times
Tropical climates, and their close cousins, are hellish. I don't think people really appreciate what it means for the sky to **** rain unceasingly.

California's climate is a bit drier than what one would find in the real Med. Winters especially are more dry, sunny and balmy.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Technically Mediterranean climates get over 500mm/20 inches a year on average, although I'd say Los Angeles is practically Mediterranean. It gets about 14 inches like Athens, Greece. Only when you reach Santa Barbara is winter rain substantial. SF averages just over 20 inches. Los Angeles enjoys cooler summers than most Mediterranean climes; Athens, for instance, is both dry but actually very humid in summer. It's summers are also about as hot as Austin, Texas.

Hawaii is clearly more pleasant than Florida, which gets uncomfortable heat and humidity for more than 6 months a year. I'd say on the mainland San Diego for temperature, although it would be nice to have those sort of temps with the more interesting weather of a humid sub-tropical climate.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Tropical. Mediterranean is nice in fall and summer, when it is sunny and hot, but winters and springs are just too cool and foggy with rain and temps in the 50s and 60s. Hawaii is pleasant year-round.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Mediterranean...I'd rather be in Arizona/New Mexico than deal with humidity...really bugs me.
New Mexico and Arizona have arid/semi-arid climates, not Mediterranean. Arid climates are more extreme-very hot days, very cold nights. Mediterranean is much more mild. Jamaica and Caribbean are not subtropical, they ARE tropical.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:13 AM

Here is the difference between Tropical and Semi-tropical for those arguing over it: Hawaii is tropical and South Florida, Bahamas and Bermuda are semi-tropical. Semi-tropical is generally humid and warm, but is dry during wintertime, and will get cool sometimes (it even snowed in South Florida twice, and once in the Bahamas). Tropical places are always humid and warm. In Hawaii and the mountainous islands in the Caribbean, like Hispaniola, the mountains are the only places where it gets cool or snowy. Sea-level it is always warm. Also, for whoever said that the southeast is subtropical, you were wrong. The southeast is humid subtropical, which is basically the same weather of NY or DC, but milder during the wintertime with less snow. Florida is the perfect example of a subtropical climate.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:37 AM

67 posts, read 165,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
This one is for you GDK.Which Climate would you Prefer to live in Year Round.
Subtropical:Florida,Jamaica,Carribean Islands, ETC.Humid,Rains Everyday,Best Winters!!

Mediterranean Climate(Ca): Dry,Comfortable, and Pleasant Year Round.
Neither. I like seasons.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times
Tropical > Mediterranean > Subtropical

Born and raised in LA (lived in SD as well), lived in Puerto Rico, Mississippi.

Tropical is the most consistently comfortable, whereas a lot of the nights in california get cold especially around winter time. The brief rain showers never bothered me, they provide a break from the humidity and the near constantness of the weather (always warm).

Subtropical is the worst out of the 3. First, there is a cold damp winter with the only good thing about it is that's short. It also tends to get hotter than the tropics during their high summer. I'm not sure why though it could have to do with puerto rico being an island but I'm not sure of that's the reason...

Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,661 times
Mediterranean > Tropical > Subtropical. I've worn heavy coats in freezing weather during many winters. California's COOL (as opposed to cold/freezing) winter nights are just fine by me. Moderate days are even better, and I definitely prefer moderate to warm/humid or hot/muggy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City