Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is Better?
The West 80 61.07%
South 51 38.93%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
The west and it's not close. I would rather move to Canada than live in the south.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
I actually like both the West and the South. But I go with the South because it is where my cultural roots are and there is so much potential in the South. Also, few outside the black community realize this but blacks in the South have more prosperity, power, and are more on the rise than in any other region. It's just the opposite of the old days.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Is family oriented area a more politically correct way to say, the nightlife sucks? :/
No. It's not. I live in both Downtown Raleigh and Miami Beach. I am happy with the nightlife in both.

Mosaic Wine et Lounge - Welcome to Mosaic Wine Lounge
Welcome To Solas
Raleigh, N.C. - New York Times
white collar crime (White Collar Raleigh) | MySpace.com
Mosquito
First Friday Raleigh Information at Downtown Raleigh Live Work Play!
Get Around :: R-LINE :: Downtown Raleigh
Progress Energy Performing Arts Center - This Weekend
Davis Crossfield Associates - BTI Performing Arts Center - Raleigh NC
MUSIC REVIEW; Lessons From a New Raleigh Hall - The New York Times
Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion at Walnut Creek Concert Tickets, Schedule, Information |Official Live Nation Site (http://www.livenation.com/venue/time-warner-cable-music-pavilion-at-walnut-creek-tickets - broken link)
Carolina Hurricanes: The Official Web Site
North Carolina Symphony - North Carolina Symphony, Classical, Pops, Concerts, Tickets, Meymandi, Raleigh, Artist, Musicians, Instruments, North Carolina Symphony, Grant Llewellyn, William Henry Curry, Classical, Pops, Meymandi Concert Hall, Raleigh
Carolina Ballet | Artistic Director Robert Weiss
Theatre In The Park | A Performing Arts Theatre located in Raleigh, North Carolina

Yeah...the nightlife sucks. Nothing ever happens in Raleigh.

As a born Westerner, I am really embarrased that so many people in the West think that nothing good could possibly be going on in the South.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:08 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wouldn't. I consider Dallas part of the West.
You are a good man, PirateLafitte, but you know I am going to disagree on this one.

As a whole, Texas itself is not even part of the modern day West, much less Dallas.

I DO understand your basic premise though. That is, that you pretty much consider the South as the Southeast. And certainly Texas is not southeastern (although East Texas could easily fit). I can even agree that, anymore, Dallas, because of the large number of northern transplants, cannot really be considered, anymore, a truly Southern city.

But that doesn't make it Western either. It shares much more with Atlanta than it does or ever did with Denver, Phoenix, or Los Angeles. It is really more of an anamoly, even in Texas. And Texas is essentially a Southern state. Historically and culturally -- while certainly there are definite noteable differences with our southeastern cousins -- it has almost nothing save the frontier era/characteristics, with the states of the Rocky Mountains, Interior Southwest, or West Coast.

It would probably be best to leave Texas out of this poll completely! LOL But if it IS included, it is much more part of the South than the West.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-26-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 07:14 PM

74 posts, read 278,907 times
I'll go with the Wild Wild West!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 PM

The south isn't backwards, huh?

The Washington Monthly

Old 07-31-2009, 06:49 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
The south isn't backwards, huh?

The Washington Monthly
...that's it?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
...that's it?
I'm not saying it's proof that everyone in the south is like the people in the survey, only saying that the south clearly has work to do if it's going to shake off stereo-types and join the rest of the country.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I actually like both the West and the South. But I go with the South because it is where my cultural roots are and there is so much potential in the South. Also, few outside the black community realize this but blacks in the South have more prosperity, power, and are more on the rise than in any other region. It's just the opposite of the old days.
I agree. Everywhere else isn't as good for blacks nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City