Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:10 PM

95 posts, read 300,953 times

Advertisements

I think Hawaii, New Jersey, California and Florida are known for having the most interracial couples. NY could be another but that's probably just or for the most part in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadinaFromJerz View Post
I think Hawaii, New Jersey, California and Florida are known for having the most interracial couples. NY could be another but that's probably just or for the most part in NYC.
Nope, not just the NYC area. Cities in Upstate NY will have quite a few interracial couples and have for a while. I'm not just talking about the bigger Upstate cities, but cities like Ithaca, Elmira, Utica, Auburn and so on.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Besides the West (basically all large West USA cities are accepting of it) the large Midwest cities will tolerate it (Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis). New England seems accepting as well.
Eh, I don't think so. The big Midwestern cities(outside a few gems like Minneapolis, or Columbus), as far as I know, tend to be the most polarized in the nation, as far as pure racial reasons go. Even more so than southern cities.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default I grew up in NYC in the 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
It has to be New York City. It is a melting pot for anything and everything. The people of NYC, who have lived their for generations, often look very unique because they are mixes of everything. I think New York City would be the best choice.
It was very common to see interracial couples even back then.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,629 times
Maybe San Francisco

Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Eh, I don't think so. The big Midwestern cities(outside a few gems like Minneapolis, or Columbus), as far as I know, tend to be the most polarized in the nation, as far as pure racial reasons go. Even more so than southern cities.
Minneapolis is Midwestern? LOL, sorry, I grew up in Chicago, I consider Minneapolis "mountain" ... but that's just semantics. Note though that I said that the breadbasket is pretty racist, still. It's more like an extension of the south, if you take a look at their voting tendencies.

Politically, I think the more republican a place, the more racist it is. I'm just saying ... I could be wrong.

it sort of depends on the couple.

I grew up in Chicago and Chicago is pretty liberal when it comes to relationships. Anything goes. BUT you do get the nuts occassionally who will put you down or say a racist comment. But in any large city you will have that.

St. Louis is a bit more polarized. So is Cincinnati. I speak from experience in living in both places. However, there is a large black population in all three cities so it is unavoidable that there will be white/black mixing.

Again, asian/white mixing is pretty accepted both ways.

I wouldn't say that the Midwest is more polarized racially than the south. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but no one cares to act out on their prejudices if they have them becauase the majority don't give a ... . The younger generation, as well, doesn't care at all.

In the South, people do, so they WILL beat up a man who is black for dating a white woman, or worse! They WILL rape a black woman for dating a white man. Trust me, all the southerners I've met were darn racist bigots.

Another thing I noticed is that the youth don't care as much anymore. That is pretty universal. I know of one example to the contrary (unfortunately he is family ), and they were from all over. So I think there is hope.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Another thing I noticed is that the youth don't care as much anymore. That is pretty universal. I know of one example to the contrary (unfortunately he is family ), and they were from all over. So I think there is hope.

Most people under the age of 35 could care less. That being said you made some pretty big generalizations in your statements above.

I am not sure why this thread is being brought up again its a waste of time. All one has to do is look at the stats. California, Hawaii, Washington state, and a few other western states have the most interracial marriages. Even Alaska ranks quite high up there in the top 10.

I think in general people who live out west in the U.S. tend to be more laid back and less polarized then their eastern counterparts. I think this may explain the lack of classism and more mixing of couples.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times
By region:
-West (West Coast, Pacific NW, Mountain West, Southwest): the best place for nearly all couples. Latinos may have a problem due to the "illegal/foreign immigrant" stigma. But as many pointed out, it's the most laid back and was established on the belief of "Live and Let Live."
-Midwest: Outside of Minneapolis, Columbus, and a FEW spots in Chicago, it's fairly polarizing. But from my own personal experience, the polarization is towards the current "black culture," not necessarily black people. Then again, there are places (St.Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit) where race relations are awful with drama borne from both sides.
-South: The rural parts and Appalachian Region are definitely a no-go for interracial relationships as well as some cities, particularly Atlanta and Miami. From what I've seen, Atlanta's just a place ran by blacks which emphasizes "separate but equal" mentality, and Miami is basically run by Latinos where blacks are at the bottom of the social pool. Also, many other cities aren't nothing to write home about in their treatment of IR couples neither, including the Country Capital of the World, the Big Easy, Home of Disneyland, and....Dallas. There are cities however that are surprisingly integrated (especially for the South) such as Hampton Roads, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Tampa, Houston and Austin. Also, there are states where IR relationships are generally less frowned upon, even in some of the suburban and rural parts, like Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas (Yes TEXAS; why do you think many people mention Texas as part of the Southwest)
-Northeast: It probably has the biggest double-standard when it comes to interracial relationships. There, it's anything goes...except for blacks, particularly against black males, and especially against non-ghetto black males (trust me, they have it the WORST)! Unless you're living in some medium-sized town outside of the Bos-Wash corridor (Syracuse, Albany), or some racially cordial anomaly (Montclair NJ, Manhattan, Cambridge MA, Northern VA), you might as well live in a rural southern town, as the only difference between there and most of the Northeast is that the people in the Northeast aren't going to do anything physical in fear of legal persecution, breaking the "rules" of political correctness, and tarnishing the image of their region.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:12 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
If you're jonesing for some interracial loving, then emigrate to a near-homogeneous country full of the people you're interested in. It seriously works wonders.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
There are quite a few interracial couples here in Austin. A WHOLE lot. They exist in Houston as well and even in such small towns as Victoria and Cuero (I know I have spent plenty of time in these two small towns). It's 2009 people. Pretty much anywhere you go will tolerate IR relationships...that's right even small towns (surprise surprise). There are very few places that will be outwardly hateful toward that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City