Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which tower looks better?
Mainplace 22 55.00%
Museum Tower 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,306,974 times

Advertisements

Not a fan of the tower-in-the-park aesthetic. I think it discourages street live. MainPlace is connected into the city.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:58 PM

24 posts, read 99,014 times

Here's a recent update of MainPlace by J-a-x on Flickr

Old 09-05-2009, 06:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,876,711 times
Thanks for posting that Urbanizer. I see that building all the time, I just didn't know it was MainPlace.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,360,346 times
That is gonna be a beautiful building .

Old 09-05-2009, 07:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,259,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Thanks for posting that Urbanizer. I see that building all the time, I just didn't know it was MainPlace.
Both Discovery Place and Mainplace are developing pretty quick.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,283,459 times
Haha. I think I'll start calling MainPlace the attack of the giant wrench!

I do like it better than Museum Tower. I think it'll fit in nicely to Houston's already modern and sleek skyline. Museum Tower is nice but...

A.) (at least from the renderings) it looks like it'll be really far away from downtown. It's nice it'll be in their art district though. Houston's theater district is already in the heart of the downtown skyline. I wouldn't want a sky rise in the Museum district of Houston....being in West U., it's pleasant with all the trees. I wonder what the word is on the Ashby High-rise.

B.) I can't imagine that there would be a lot of people in Dallas willing to live in such a large high rise. Houston's highrise condo buildings are a little smaller and rightfully so. You wouldn't want to build such a tall high rise and then not be able to fill it w/ tenants. One Park Place and the others scattered throughout the Memorial area West of Downtown suffice nicely.

Finally - somebody a few posts back made a comment about the name being tacky. It's called "Main Place" because it'll be located on Main St. downtown. It'll be a combination of retail on the lower levels and office space on the upper levels.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:53 PM

355 posts, read 470,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post

I do like it better than Museum Tower. I think it'll fit in nicely to Houston's already modern and sleek skyline. Museum Tower is nice but...

A.) (at least from the renderings) it looks like it'll be really far away from downtown. It's nice it'll be in their art district though. Houston's theater district is already in the heart of the downtown skyline. I wouldn't want a sky rise in the Museum district of Houston....being in West U., it's pleasant with all the trees. I wonder what the word is on the Ashby High-rise.

B.) I can't imagine that there would be a lot of people in Dallas willing to live in such a large high rise. Houston's highrise condo buildings are a little smaller and rightfully so. You wouldn't want to build such a tall high rise and then not be able to fill it w/ tenants. One Park Place and the others scattered throughout the Memorial area West of Downtown suffice nicely.

Finally - somebody a few posts back made a comment about the name being tacky. It's called "Main Place" because it'll be located on Main St. downtown. It'll be a combination of retail on the lower levels and office space on the upper levels.
The Museum tower doesn't really look THAT far away because it is right between the high-rises of uptown and the skyscrapers of downtown dallas. It is in a prime location with the deck park being built, the new nature and science museum under-way, and the arts district. If the museum tower does end up getting canceled due to sales, or economic troubles, I'm pretty sure that another development will be in the making.

But I'll say, the Main place in Houston looks like a very beautiful building and will really contribute to downtown visually and from the ground floor.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:13 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,876,711 times
Quote:

I really hope the Ashby Tower gets built one day. The people complaining about it should move to the suburbs if they want to live away from high rises. Same goes for the complainers living along Richmond who opposed light rail. The new track is absolutely ridiculous and it should have went straight down Richmond. Houston always seems to take one step forward and then two steps back when it comes to urban planning.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM

571 posts, read 1,283,459 times
Westhou I agree. I've got the feeling the whole anti-Ashby high rise movement is a fad amongst West U. dwellers. I mean, I've heard things like "it'll increase traffic" and other things of that nature but I honestly don't think it'll make traffic in that area any worse. I also agree on the Richmond line. IMO, the Richmond line and the Downtown/TMC line should've been co-developed and built at the same time.

Dallas12 you'd be in a better position to inform on the Museum Tower than I would. I hope it gets developed though. The business and crowds that such high rises draw can be beneficial to an area (evidence?: One Park Place downtown...it's brought a lot of people to Discovery Green and the businesses in both the Houston Center (at least what's left of them), Discovery Green and the Houston Pavilions). But, in the Spirit of Texas, you're prob. right...if Museum Tower gets nixed then there'll be another plan waiting in the wings...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM

355 posts, read 470,495 times
Quote:
Dallas12 you'd be in a better position to inform on the Museum Tower than I would. I hope it gets developed though.
To my knowledge, I hear that it is seeking finances and is up to sales(correct me Dallasites if I'm misleading). However, due to the state of the economy, I think the project will stall a little longer, then hopefully will proceed in the few years to come.

Quote:
The business and crowds that such high rises draw can be beneficial to an area (evidence?: One Park Place downtown...it's brought a lot of people to Discovery Green and the businesses in both the Houston Center (at least what's left of them), Discovery Green and the Houston Pavilions). But, in the Spirit of Texas, you're prob. right...if Museum Tower gets nixed then there'll be another plan waiting in the wings...
About high-rises. Are there any other building in downtown Houston being built besides the Main Place? I'm aware that buildings are being built adjacent to the Discovery Green, but I just want a little more info on them.(don't want to get too off topic).

Last edited by Dallas12; 02-22-2010 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City