Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which tower looks better?
Mainplace 22 55.00%
Museum Tower 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,891 times

Advertisements

Yes, there is Discovery Tower (to be renamed Hess Tower once Hess Co. moves in) which will be completed in Summer 2010. It should be a combination of retail space on the bottom floors w/ office space up top. Also, off Discovery Green, they've started the new Embassay Suites hotel which will be around 19 stories tall (if that qualifies as a "high" rise). I think that's going to take about a year to build. I know there are other lots in downtown Houston that've been partitioned off and have bulldozers and the like roaming around inside but it's always a mystery about what'll pop up there. I do know the Houston Ballet is building a new state of the art dance facility in downtown Houston too. It'll be the largest single dance rehearsal space in the nation so thought ought to be neat.

Other Houston architecture news: they're restoring the old county courthouse downtown...Lord knows how long that'll take. And they're building some sort of new park-like thing in what I like to call the "justice district!"...corny I know...it's essentially a plot that sits b/t the Harris County Criminal Justice Center, the Harris County Civil Justice Center and the Family Law Center.

http://www.ccl.co.harris.tx.us/images/CourtsFX.jpg

Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,849,695 times
Dallas needs a super tall to compete with BOA. Downtown Dallas hasn't added a new skyscraper in years. Uptown is booming with skyscrapers but downtown Dallas for the most part has not had a construction boom in a long time.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,855,147 times
am i the only one who thinks the pictures of mainplace makes downtown houston look like it could be a swction of manhattan?

i think this building is going to add sophistication and some MUCH NEEDED updating to houston's skyline

Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas needs a super tall to compete with BOA. Downtown Dallas hasn't added a new skyscraper in years. Uptown is booming with skyscrapers but downtown Dallas for the most part has not had a construction boom in a long time.
dfw needs a lot. not hating, but a pretty pitiful skyline for the fourth largest metro in the nation

dallas needs a supertall, and i would like to see more height and density in uptown

Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,582,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Westhou I agree. I've got the feeling the whole anti-Ashby high rise movement is a fad amongst West U. dwellers. I mean, I've heard things like "it'll increase traffic" and other things of that nature but I honestly don't think it'll make traffic in that area any worse. I also agree on the Richmond line. IMO, the Richmond line and the Downtown/TMC line should've been co-developed and built at the same time.

It's hilarious that people complain about traffic and they live in a big city. Like traffic is not to be expected. If you don't want traffic, move to some town outside of Cut-N-Shoot. Traffic is part of living in a city and either get use to it or move.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,849,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
dallasite, fort worthian, whatever

YOU chose to interpret my comment that way. that's your problem. not mine

actually, if someone were to read my posts, they would see that i actually prefer dallas to houston in most areas. skyline just isn't one of them. to be honest, though, you just sound a little sour from that whole "importance" topic
That topic was dominated by the Houstonians and Atlantans as usual. Anyway I did give Houston the advantage in importance. There is the link my brother. The Houstonians (Atlanta too) as usual over exaggerate there cities importance. I never understood the significance of being such a homer on this site. Just a further note Dallasites are far in between on City vs. City and rarely rave or over exaggerate there metro area importance.

Atlanta vs. Houston

Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
That topic was dominated by the Houstonians and Atlantans as usual. Anyway I did give Houston the advantage in importance. There is the link my brother. The Houstonians (Atlanta too) as usual over exaggerate there cities importance. I never understood the significance of being such a homer on this site. Just a further note Dallasites are far in between on City vs. City and rarely rave or over exaggerate there metro area importance.

Atlanta vs. Houston
just because people from dfw don't frequent this forum a lot, doesn't mean they don't stir up trouble. there are several north texas posters who do their fair share of boosting and bashing. if not in this forum, than the texas one

and as an outsider, from my viewpoint, i rarely see houstonians exaggerate anything. what i see is them pointing out positive facts that nobody ever wants to give them. it seems as if many dallasites and atlantans refuse to accept that houston could ever have any type of advantage over them. as if all cities are completely tied. being on the same tier doesn't mean being equal in everything

if i'm not even a houstonian, and i notice all this going on, that oughtta tell you something

Old 02-25-2010, 02:35 PM

882 posts, read 2,247,625 times
Quote:

Atlanta vs. Houston
The Dallasites have quited down in terms of boosting, but have had some major homers as well.

And yet again, the majority of the people you call homers arent really homers. Everybody can point out the negatives or cons of Houston, but just because one doesnt say them, and just focuses on the positive things doesn't make them a homer.

Theres enough hate for cities like Houston, that people like me don't even have to say it. But, if one were to ask specifically on the bad things, we'll be the first ones to point out. So excuse us for "exxagerating" or "boasting".

And there are posters of these cities, that are more in the middle, and do acknowledge the state, image of the city. Not everybody is a homer. Seriously, lay off the topic. It's clear that you have an issue, anyhow.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
dfw needs a lot. not hating, but a pretty pitiful skyline for the fourth largest metro in the nation

dallas needs a supertall, and i would like to see more height and density in uptown
I know. I'd like for Houston, Dallas...SOMEBODY! to get a super tall (preferably Houston but I'm biased ) but it'll probably never happen. At least, it won't happen anytime soon...the economy is just too weak.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
I know. I'd like for Houston, Dallas...SOMEBODY! to get a super tall (preferably Houston but I'm biased ) but it'll probably never happen. At least, it won't happen anytime soon...the economy is just too weak.
houston already has a supertall: chase tower, tallest building in the south. and some may call the wells fargo building a supertall as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City