Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which tower looks better?
Mainplace 22 55.00%
Museum Tower 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,854,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
The Dallas skyline is not pitiful for it's size! I have seen worst! San Antonio (I am not trying to bash) has a worst skyline than Dallas.
san antonio's skyline is just fine, and is very befitting of its personality. big city, but still very quaint. san antone arguably has the most charming downtown in the state of texas, and their skyline mirrors that

dallas, on the other hand, is this huge, cosmopolitan metropolis. i just think their skyline should reflect that

Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,769,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
san antonio's skyline is just fine, and is very befitting of its personality. big city, but still very quaint. san antone arguably has the most charming downtown in the state of texas, and their skyline mirrors that

dallas, on the other hand, is this huge, cosmopolitan metropolis. i just think their skyline should reflect that
San Antonio is bigger than Dallas! They should have a bigger skyline!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,241,213 times
Quote:
The Dallas skyline is not pitiful for it's size! I have seen worst! San Antonio (I am not trying to bash) has a worst skyline than Dallas.
Downtown San Antonio is bad ass! I like it because of how historic and gritty it is. I don't think San Antonio should build larger skyscrapers because it would really ruin the feel and atmosphere of the downtown.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
San Antonio is bigger than Dallas! They should have a bigger skyline!
Skyline should never relate to how big a city is; it's what the city has to offer. PERIOD.

Downtown San Antonio does just that; it doesn't need to be competing with Dallas skyline just to prove it's a big city (Dallas is technically bigger however).

Old 02-25-2010, 08:11 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,769,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Skyline should never relate to how big a city is; it's what the city has to offer. PERIOD.

Downtown San Antonio does just that; it doesn't need to be competing with Dallas skyline just to prove it's a big city (Dallas is technically bigger however).
San Antonio is bigger in city population.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
San Antonio is bigger in city population.
And your point is??? Metropolitan population is what you need to be looking at.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,802 times
IMO a lot of people when they say "Dallas" mean "Dallas/Ft.Worth". Idk...I just get that impression that people equate the metroplex w/ Dallas by itself. I agree though, downtown San Antonio is more historic whereas downtown Dallas (like downtown Houston) is the opposite of historic. At the same time, I think it'd be cool if San Antonio had one crown jewel for its downtown...kind of like Austin has the Compass Bank tower.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,868,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
IMO a lot of people when they say "Dallas" mean "Dallas/Ft.Worth". Idk...I just get that impression that people equate the metroplex w/ Dallas by itself. I agree though, downtown San Antonio is more historic whereas downtown Dallas (like downtown Houston) is the opposite of historic. At the same time, I think it'd be cool if San Antonio had one crown jewel for its downtown...kind of like Austin has the Compass Bank tower.
How is Downtown Houston the opposite of historic? Allen's Landing is the most important historical place in Houston and It's right smack in the middle of Downtown.

http://www.buffalobayou.org/allenslanding.html

Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,769,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
And your point is??? Metropolitan population is what you need to be looking at.
Absolutely correct. If that werent the case, Atlanta shouldnt have any buildings over 35 stories sinces it has only 500,000 people in the city proper. But when you take the whole area, its reflects why the city has the tall buildings it does. Same goes with Dallas.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,868,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Absolutely correct. If that werent the case, Atlanta shouldnt have any buildings over 35 stories sinces it has only 500,000 people in the city proper. But when you take the whole area, its reflects why the city has the tall buildings it does. Same goes with Dallas.
I don't see how that is the case with Dallas since Fort Worth has it's own downtown. I don't see how Fort Worth would have any impact on the tall building in Dallas. Kinda like Galveston has zero impact on Downtown Houston. I can see how the suburbs of Dallas would have an impact but not a distinct city like Fort Worth. Kinda like the suburbs of Houston impact Downtown Houston because all those people work Downtown but most people in Galveston don't work in Downtown Houston and I would think most people in Fort Worth don't work in Downtown Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City