Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
back to the topic!!

HARLEM AND THE SOUTH BRONX 1970'S-1980'S WORST LOOKING PLACE IN U.S. HISTORY

In those days you will get a problem like it or not, if your just passing threw, carrying yourself in a certain way or whatever?
Now Harlem is one of the best hoods you can live in.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM

223 posts, read 829,252 times
Default Crime has dropped alot in Harlem!!!! Harlem still has ghettos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Now Harlem is one of the best hoods you can live in.
Crimerates have dropped alot in Harlem since the 1970's and 1980's.

There still are bad things that happen in Harlem and always will be every city's is going to have its problems.

They have also cleaned up alot of the rundown buildings and areas.

But Harlem still has ghettos with drug dealers and other criminals.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Harlem is still pretty run down once you go west of Park Ave, but still a lot safer than the past.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Harlem is still pretty run down once you go west of Park Ave, but still a lot safer than the past.
Thats not true actually I live here and can tell you that its mostly things East of Park Ave thats run down. Thats why the city wants to build that mix use complex. Then there"s that mall still being built on 116th street and that new 20 story building on 120th and 5th ave which is now bankrupt. But if you go through the neighborhood on alot of the streets all the brownstones, townhouses, and apartments are renovated and cleaned up,also the projects are even going co-op and renovation there property, and new condos and townhouses that were already built and ones that are still under construction. Plus you factor in all the new stores and attractions opening up that I though I wouldn't never see. But thats gentrification for you. Even though there is crime and drug dealers I noticed all the NYPD street cameras everywhere and rolling cop patrol. The city is trying to bring more business to Harlem as well so it can improve the night life which they believe would bring more people to the neighborhood as well put more people on the streets at night so that it can have lower crime. Trust Harlem at night is always deserted except in the small streets or near the projects.

Here some pictures I took.
Harlem (Welcome to my Neighborhood) - SkyscraperCity

Here is 20 story building Fifth on the Park

http://www.phoenixrg.com/editors/FifthOnThePark.jpg (broken link)

Heres the mix use project for East 125th street.

http://curbed.com/uploads/2008_10_E%20Harlem%20Plan.jpg (broken link)
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10082008/photos/news027a.jpg (broken link)

ANd here the mall

Old 08-23-2009, 09:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
^^Oops, I forgot to mention I meant 125 st., west of Park Ave.

Nice pictures

Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^Oops, I forgot to mention I meant 125 st., west of Park Ave.

Nice pictures
It depends on where exactly East of Park ave on 125 is more run down than west unless you mean past the movie theatre and chuckee cheese going west.

and Thank You!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:58 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Those are nice pictures.

What about the revitalization of Jamaica, South Jamaica, East New York, Brownsville, etc. that's not fair lol.

I know Jamaica underwent rezoning and had many projects planned, I guess they gave up on it.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Those are nice pictures.

What about the revitalization of Jamaica, South Jamaica, East New York, Brownsville, etc. that's not fair lol.

I know Jamaica underwent rezoning and had many projects planned, I guess they gave up on it.
Actually the city got stimulus money to fund projects across the city but I don't know which one got the cut. But Mike said he was gonna rezone and develop about 100 neighborhoods and business districts across the city. I'm guess they did Harlem first since its the perfect area for development.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 PM

223 posts, read 829,252 times
I worked as a warehouse worker/Doc Worker last year in Queens on the border of Long Island. I have not been their in a while, No offense to anybody from Jamica, Queens it still looked pretty run-down and bad with crime and I didn't see any revitalizations.

Same thing in Brownsville didn't see any revitalizations. Still looks bad

Last time I was in Harlem I have no idea were or what street I was on. I had to take a cube truck to drop of equipment for a job. My co-worker drove I slept the whole way until we got their, he needed help unloading the truck when he woke me up. The area looked bad we had to been near the projects.

Again I have not been to any part of NYC in a while, my job now dosen't really require me to go into the City I just plain work in Jersey.

Maybe revitalizations have took place, I believe they have I seen something on the news about this a while back in different parts on NYC, but last year when I was in the city alot I didn't see any revitalizations!!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Thats not true actually I live here and can tell you that its mostly things East of Park Ave thats run down. Thats why the city wants to build that mix use complex. Then there"s that mall still being built on 116th street and that new 20 story building on 120th and 5th ave which is now bankrupt. But if you go through the neighborhood on alot of the streets all the brownstones, townhouses, and apartments are renovated and cleaned up,also the projects are even going co-op and renovation there property, and new condos and townhouses that were already built and ones that are still under construction. Plus you factor in all the new stores and attractions opening up that I though I wouldn't never see. But thats gentrification for you. Even though there is crime and drug dealers I noticed all the NYPD street cameras everywhere and rolling cop patrol. The city is trying to bring more business to Harlem as well so it can improve the night life which they believe would bring more people to the neighborhood as well put more people on the streets at night so that it can have lower crime. Trust Harlem at night is always deserted except in the small streets or near the projects.

Here some pictures I took.
Harlem (Welcome to my Neighborhood) - SkyscraperCity

Here is 20 story building Fifth on the Park

Heres the mix use project for East 125th street.

ANd here the mall
I see Harlem is looking ALOT nicer these days. Now all that stuff Dipset raps about is false. Oh no not malls, I'm scared.lol. Nice rederings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City