Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your FAVORITE southern states? (Please choose up to five.)
Tennessee 186 38.51%
Kentucky 66 13.66%
West Virginia 51 10.56%
Virginia 158 32.71%
North Carolina 217 44.93%
South Carolina 120 24.84%
Georgia 177 36.65%
Alabama 75 15.53%
Mississippi 60 12.42%
Florida 184 38.10%
Louisiana 98 20.29%
Arkansas 42 8.70%
Texas 162 33.54%
Oklahoma 35 7.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 PM

893 posts, read 792,617 times

Advertisements

I love them all...kinder gentler people than where I'm in exile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:36 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,029,203 times
Default South, I luv ya

I love all of these southern states. Can't think of a one I don't like. I have now been to all of them.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,618,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
These are my favorite areas of my favorite Southern states:

1. Texas. Not a quintessential Southern state, but it blends elements of southeast, midwest, southwest, and Mexican locales, as well as just good ol' Texas flair. Still, the only areas of that state I'd rule out are the far southeast corner (where the Sabine meets the Gulf,) Dallas, and the Rio Grande Valley/South Padre region. Everything else seems to be fine.

2. Georgia: north Georgia, particularly Atlanta. I'd like to visit Savannah, I've heard that's nice, too.

3. Mississippi: stay away from the Delta towns. Stay along or within 10 miles of an interstate and Mississippi is great. Okay, Oxford is like 25 miles from an interstate, but you can't go wrong there, either.

I also like Mobile and Baldwin Counties in Alabama, but the rest of Alabama sucks. I know, I've traveled it north to south.

I've heard great things about N. Carolina and S. Carolina. Of course, the places that my fellow Kentuckians really like are usually the places that I go "eh, whatever, what's so great about this place?" I'm sure there are nice, friendly places in those states, though.

Oklahoma is very midwestern in culture (except maybe for eastern Oklahoma,) but is certainly "southern tier." As much as I love Texas, I'd assume that I'd like Oklahoma quite well.
Interesting post and good reading. Of course, as I said in an earlier missive I maintain there is *nothing* culturally "midwestern" about Texas...save perhaps a very few isolated spots which can fairly be considered anomalies (very upper Texas panhandle, and suburban locations near large cities with a lot of northern transplants). But anyway, I enjoyed reading this.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,479,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
I love them all...kinder gentler people than where I'm in exile
Amen!.....

Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
I can't think of anyplace in the South I've been that I haven't liked. North Carolina is a favorite, though, along with Virginia and Kentucky.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I can't think of anyplace in the South I've been that I haven't liked. North Carolina is a favorite, though, along with Virginia and Kentucky.
Hey ya Ohio girl I was in Cinci today at the Underground Rairoad freedom center and I have to say it was pretty interesting!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 AM

97 posts, read 766,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
"I don't really consider Texas, Oklahoma, and West Virginia southern states." I can't speak for Texas or OK, but why would you consider Virginia a Southern state but not West Virginia? Just because some politicians drew a line through Virginia in 1863 and made two states? The people of West Virginia had nothing to do with that, it was done in Washington, DC. The present Constitution of the state of WV was written mostly by ex-Confederate soldiers in 1872, the voters trashed the Unionist Constitution when they were given back the vote in 1871. Most people don't really know the history of West Virginia.
I agree with you 110% Bibilee. West Virginia is just as Southern as Kentucky and Virginia are. And like you mentioned on earlier posts, 2/3 of the state supported the Confederacy, which is true. I really hate it when people consider West Virginia a Northeastern state, because it just isn't. My state is hundreds of miles south of New York and New England and I can get to parts of North Carolina and Tennessee within 75 miles (hour and a half) of Bluefield.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 AM

108 posts, read 452,591 times
I voted for TN, KY, WV, VA, and NC. Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina are at the top, West Virginia is slightly below them because it doesn't have quite the variety of landscapes as the other three states. Tennessee is a little below the rest, because I've found its residents to be a little less friendly than those of the other four states. Not necessarily flat-out rude, just a little less pleasant based on my own experiences.

Kentucky has beautiful scenery, especially the bluegrass region. I'm biased, of course, because it's my home state.

Virginia is also beautiful, and some of the best friends I've made are from Virginia. North Carolina is very similar to Virginia, in that both states have everything from beaches to mountains. I like North Carolina's beaches better and it's hard to match the Smokies, but Virginia has the Shenandoah Valley and a little more history. If it weren't for the ever-growing DC suburbs, Virginia might actually be #1 on my list.

West Virginia offers lots of outdoor activities like whitewater rafting and is generally an underrated state, IMO.

Tennessee would be higher on the list if I'd had more pleasant experiences there, but I'll give it credit for Nashville and its mountains. I almost didn't vote for it due to the tackiness of Pigeon Forge, but I couldn't think of another state to vote for in its place.

I will say that I've never been to Texas, but I have the feeling that if I'd ever been there I would have probably voted for it.

I would have voted for South Carolina, but the monstrosity that is Myrtle Beach singlehandedly kept it off my list. It's too bad, because I love Charleston.

I also like Georgia, just not enough to rank it above the other states. It has some very nice beaches, and Savannah has a unique sort of charm. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to put Georgia in my top five instead of Tennessee.

I'm neutral towards Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas, and I've never been to Oklahoma. Really the only states I don't like at all are Florida and Louisiana, although I must say that some parts of Florida that haven't been overrun by tourists and retirees are not bad.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,479,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
Virginia is also beautiful, and some of the best friends I've made are from Virginia. If it weren't for the ever-growing DC suburbs, Virginia might actually be #1 on my list.
I agree about the friends,I made more friends in 2 yrs of living in VA than 20 years living up north!
As for the DC suburbs,there's like 97% left of VA after cutting out DC so there's plenty of VA still to enjoy

Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,966,250 times
My favorites are KY,WV,VA,TN,NC,GA

My least favorites are FL,AL,SC,MS,LA,TX

Never been to AR or OK, so i won't judge them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City