Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 AM

9,174 posts, read 13,261,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Too bad developers are destroying that abundance of wildlife.
A major complaint of my uncle in Florida is overdevelopment (they live in Broward and in The Villages). Its a good thing that the Federal government has saved some Florida land from development because the state and local governments are doing a relatively poor job --- at least as compared to other states anyway. There does not seem to be much long term planning other than covering the state with suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
Mountains. That is something else I miss about NYS. Florida is as flat as a pancake. I was talking to my daughter about this and about our vacations and trips of years gone by. We did not go to beaches. We went to the montains; summer, winter, fall and spring. Before we had kids and when they were very little. Beautiful year round. My daughter promised to take me to the mountains when I go back to NY.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:23 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Mountains. That is something else I miss about NYS. Florida is as flat as a pancake. I was talking to my daughter about this and about our vacations and trips of years gone by. We did not go to beaches. We went to the montains; summer, winter, fall and spring. Before we had kids and when they were very little. Beautiful year round. My daughter promised to take me to the mountains when I go back to NY.
Lol this post is very funny. Do not get me wrong I like Florida, but I found it funny when Tanaples said that Florida is as flat as a pancake. I have been to Bear Mountain. It is very nice.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 06-09-2009 at 03:17 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 AM

37,173 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I read that there are these little hills in Central and Northern Florida which might be kind of nice--though I guess if you're going to make a trip somewhere, you might as well get out of Florida. Is there anything that can be done to make your stay in Florida bearable, perhaps even enjoyable? I mean, it seems like a huge waste to be living elsewhere temporarily and simply despise it and pine for home the entire time--it reminds me of a college roommate. What exactly do you do all day for fun?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I read that there are these little hills in Central and Northern Florida which might be kind of nice--though I guess if you're going to make a trip somewhere, you might as well get out of Florida. Is there anything that can be done to make your stay in Florida bearable, perhaps even enjoyable? I mean, it seems like a huge waste to be living elsewhere temporarily and simply despise it and pine for home the entire time--it reminds me of a college roommate. What exactly do you do all day for fun?
There are nice, hilly areas that run generally Northwest of Orlando up through Ocala and Gainesville.

There are big hills (by Florida standards) around Tallahassee, and basically all along the Northern reaches of the Panhandle. There is even a State Cavern in the Panhandle, not far from Marianna.

Florida is a very varied landscape - you just have to be willing to explore.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM

8 posts, read 12,547 times
NY i live in florida right now and ITS BOOOOOOORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.same stuff everyday.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Default Different perspectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There are nice, hilly areas that run generally Northwest of Orlando up through Ocala and Gainesville.

There are big hills (by Florida standards) around Tallahassee, and basically all along the Northern reaches of the Panhandle. There is even a State Cavern in the Panhandle, not far from Marianna.

Florida is a very varied landscape - you just have to be willing to explore.
Its interesting how different parts of the country see things in a different perspective. I read how Tallahasee is a hilly city (Flat/Hilly Cities in the general forum) but when I looked it up --- it says the highest hill is 200 feet. Meanwhile in the Northeast, Long Island is considered FLAT even though I live 10 minutes from different hilly areas (West Hills, Dix Hills and Half Hollow Hills) that are 200 to 400 feet high!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 PM

258 posts, read 325,822 times
NY in every category, there is not a single thing at all that favors Florida over New York. Climate, natural beauty, history, culture, architecture, access to other places, food all favor New York by a landslide.
Oppressive heat and humidity and beaches are the only possible edges one could give Florida.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 PM

258 posts, read 325,822 times
Not remotely hilly by any standard unless you live South of Tallahassee in Florida.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Talking Every category !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
NY in every category, there is not a single thing at all that favors Florida over New York. Climate, natural beauty, history, culture, architecture, access to other places, food all favor New York by a landslide.
Oppressive heat and humidity and beaches are the only possible edges one could give Florida.
Here is a couple for Florida --- better Salt Water fishing, year round golf, tropical vegetation, Flamingos, coral reefs, Spanish/Mediterrean architecture, amusement parks, retirement areas, better politics, Florida Manatees, tropical fruit, the Florida Keys, mangroves, The Everglades, etc. I like New York State better but to say in EVERY category is kind of unfair. In fact you also agree because you contradicted your first sentence with your last sentence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City