Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

^ That is true UU. But the question was, assuming British is the root national culture of the US, which comes next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,194,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ That is true UU. But the question was, assuming British is the root national culture of the US, which comes next?
German, Latin American (including Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico), Italy, and Soviet Union now.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
I'd say it is close between German and Irish. They are actually 1 and 2 in terms of ethnic groups in the US, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say it is close between German and Irish. They are actually 1 and 2 in terms of ethnic groups in the US, if I'm not mistaken.
The British are not really a nationality since Scotts, Welsh and English do not really consider themselves "the same".

I would say the Dutch are really well integrated, as opposed to the Irish or Germans you do not hear much about them in context of having any ethnic identity or conciousness in the US.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,791,647 times
Without a doubt, Armenians are the next most integrated after British.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
In the northern USA I would definitely say German.

People of German decent in the US tossed out that identity almost entirely after WWI and WWII. There is a huge German influence on many habits, words, food, beer, etc in this country, but for having tens of millions of people of German ancestry - you rarely see much GERMAN. Especially compared to like Italian or Irish.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 AM

252 posts, read 961,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You can be as sure as you want. The census data clearly shows this is not the case. How can you not want to get into demographics while asking an explicitly demographic question?

I don't know that you can categorically say the British have had a greater impact "certainly more so than German" on the culture. While that's certainly true of language, I can tell you that in my region of the country German immigration had a tremendous impact on the culture, including influencing our eating and drinking habits, our work ethic, religious practices, our sociopolitical climate, et cetera. English culture certainly still predominates New England and much of the upper Eastern seaboard. In the upper Midwest the culture has been largely influenced by German and Scandinavian culture; in the Southeast it's Scots-Irish and black culture; Southwest the primary influence is Mexican/Spanish; on the West Coast it's good old-fashioned American mutt-ism with a good dose of East Asian influence. The major urban centers especially in the North from Boston down to New York and over to Chicago and St. Louis were also heavily impacted by Polish, Irish, Italian and eastern European immigration. English/British cultural influenced stopped being the biggest game in town a long time ago.
It's not just the English language, though that is a hugely important thing that binds us together as a nation. Our whole political and legal system comes from Britain. In terms of important national institutions, the British influence is far stronger than the German influence. I can't think of a single institution in our nation whose origin is German that rivals the importance of our very language, our system of laws, and our democratic political system. I do love beer, but even there, the Germans gave us pale tasteless lagers, while the English gave us delicious flavorful ales. I guess I'm just an Anglophile...

Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,432,329 times
I would tend to agree with those who say British influence is the most durable. The French and Spanish didn't left that much of an imprint since 1) They didn't bring many colonists and 2) When the British / Americans took hold of those territories they pretty much started from scratch and imposed their langage, institutions, legal system, etc, asd well as sending their settlers.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,919,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
the Germans gave us pale tasteless lagers
****, kid

Pee-Bee-Ahhzzzzzzz

Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know many people are of many nationalities, but in general, people of which nationality are the most integrated into American society - in other words, most 'American American?' Btw by British I mean English, Scottish and Welsh.

In Australia it would be the Irish for sure, but in the US continental Europeans seem to represent, and many parts of the US have Irish people with a very proud Irish identity (you seldom hear of 'Irish Australians' but 'Irish American' seems more common) - that is NOT to say, of course, that makes them or any other nationality any less truly American. I'm more referring to those who seem to have lost most of their original nationality identity or had to transferred to being 'American.' Like in Australia, people aren't called 'English Australians' (even though who have been here 1-2 generations) while a fifth generation Chinese or Italian Australian is often identified as such, and less commonly as simply 'Australian.' The same seems to be the case in America. There aren't really 'English or Scottish Americans.'

Anyway, Germans seem more integrated in America for sure, and are probably less likely to be known as 'German Americans' than say 'Italian Americans.' Would they come before or after Irish in general? Which would follow after that? Maybe Northwest Europeans like Dutch, and maybe French?

I'd be interested to hear your perceptions. It's not a case of stats or demographics, more of cultural integration.
German Americans learned to keep a low profile upon the event of WWI. That's why you don't see as many fraternal organizations, churches and other groups proclaiming their German-ness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City