Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM

283 posts, read 259,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't think you're giving Boston or the East Coast as a whole its due. Boston & New York are two of the largest tech & VC clusters in the country. They're both considered quite innovative too...in fact that particular ranking puts Boston & NYC ahead of Seattle. When it comes to innovation, Boston will always be among the cutting edge due to its prestigious universities. This would explain why Boston receives more than 3 times as much venture capital as Seattle.

When it comes to web & cloud, Seattle may be ahead of Boston but it's not a giant gap. Not nearly as large as the gap Boston has on Seattle in say, biotechnology & life sciences.
Boston is also becoming a major robotics hub as well, iRobot is based in the Boston area, and Boston Dynamics probably makes the most advanced robots on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
It is hard to imagine getting enough sunlight in Western Washington to use solar-power for a home.

Having lived both there and here, I prefer the lower taxes, the lower COL, and the greater sunlight that we enjoy here.

But I am a simple military retiree living the life of an off-grid organic farmer. I no longer make the high salary that is required to own a home in Western Wa.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Rethink Robotics (Baxter) is also in the Boston area

BBC - Future - Boston: The start-up revolution reviving its tech cred

"A former professor of robotics at MIT and co-founder of the highly successful Massachusetts-based company iRobot, Brooks had spent enough time in Boston to recognise its dominance in his field. “There is nowhere else in the world with such a concentration of academic robotics programs,” says Brooks, whose latest company is Rethink Robotics. “There also is nowhere else in the world with such a concentration of existing entrepreneurial robotics companies. Silicon Valley does not come close. New York does not come close. Pittsburgh does not come close. Nowhere in Europe comes close. Nowhere in Japan comes close.”"

Robotics is probably the next big industry and Boston is becoming the "silicon valley" of robotics.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 AM

Some comparisons:

GDP per capita, Q3 2015:
$64,932 New England
$60,530 PNW

IQ (based on this: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sHEawhiwhsI/maxresdefault.jpg )
103.8 New England
101.2 PNW

Murder rate:
2.3 PNW
2.0 New England

Violent crime rate:
288.2 New England
266.3 PNW

Property crime rate:
3,410.7 PNW
1,903.5 New England

Old 07-19-2016, 06:40 AM

69 posts, read 89,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
Some comparisons:

GDP per capita, Q3 2015:
$64,932 New England
$60,530 PNW

IQ (based on this: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sHEawhiwhsI/maxresdefault.jpg )
103.8 New England
101.2 PNW

Murder rate:
2.3 PNW
2.0 New England

Violent crime rate:
288.2 New England
266.3 PNW

Property crime rate:
3,410.7 PNW
1,903.5 New England
So all of the New England statistics... Does that focus primarily on Mass? The reason I ask this is because my wife and I were considering moving to Maine but it seems as though all of the big tech jobs are based around Boston.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
Some comparisons:

GDP per capita, Q3 2015:
$64,932 New England
$60,530 PNW
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita
Maine $41,477
NH $53,834
Vermont $47,520
Massachusetts $69,705
Rhode Island $53,321
Connecticut $72,331

Quote:
Violent crime rate:
288.2 New England
266.3 PNW
America’s Most Violent (and Most Peaceful) States - 24/7 Wall St.
Maine's Violent crime rate: 129.3 per 100,000 (2nd lowest state)

You are trying to paint a picture of 'New England' that does not fit for all of New England.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 AM

12,849 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmavrekx View Post
So all of the New England statistics... Does that focus primarily on Mass? The reason I ask this is because my wife and I were considering moving to Maine but it seems as though all of the big tech jobs are based around Boston.
The NE statistics give a general view of the region as a whole. Since the region is huge, there discrepancies. For example, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are among the safest states in the country. While MA, CT, and RI are relatively safe (they all have some really tough urban pockets). Northern New England (ME, VT, and NH) skew the crime data a bit in a beneficial way for New England.

On the other hand, Southern New England (particularly Boston, but CT and RI all have stronger economies than any of the Northern NE counterparts) provides the fuel for the economic side of the argument. It's also worth noting that many of the major employers in CT are located strongest economic region in CT- the Southewestern corner of the state which is an extension of metropolitan New York City.

It's not unlike what exists in larger states and regions- the major urban centers provide a more diverse variety of employment opportunities and the bulk of the economic output while typically recording higher levels of crime (not necessarily dangerous, but higher) whereas the more rural areas have lower crime, but don't provide the same level of economic employment opportunities. In New England, the divide is pretty distinct. Northern NE is rural and Southern NE is far more urbanized.

Big tech jobs are largely located in the Boston area, yes. Hartford, Providence, Worcester, and Southwestern CT are the other primary economic hubs in the region (all in Southern New England). Maine will not provide you with nearly the same level of opportunity. What opportunity is in Maine will be in the Portland area and again, it'll be far more limited (in terms of availability and salary) than what you'll find in Southern New England. Southern New Hampshire may be a reasonable alternative as it would provide you with access to the Boston area's employment opportunities while being close to Southern Maine. If you really want to make Maine work, I'd suggest locking up work before you come. Maine's a great place to visit, but a hard place to make a living. In the Portland area, the COL is disproportionate with the average income.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 AM

233 posts, read 368,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita
Maine $41,477
NH $53,834
Vermont $47,520
Massachusetts $69,705
Rhode Island $53,321
Connecticut $72,331

America’s Most Violent (and Most Peaceful) States - 24/7 Wall St.
Maine's Violent crime rate: 129.3 per 100,000 (2nd lowest state)

You are trying to paint a picture of 'New England' that does not fit for all of New England.

NE is less than half the size of Washington and Oregon together. NE is about the size of Florida large by eastern standards but smallish in the west

Old 07-19-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
NE is less than half the size of Washington and Oregon together. NE is about the size of Florida large by eastern standards but smallish in the west
I agree. Was there a point to this?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The NE statistics give a general view of the region as a whole. Since the region is huge, there discrepancies. For example, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are among the safest states in the country. While MA, CT, and RI are relatively safe (they all have some really tough urban pockets). Northern New England (ME, VT, and NH) skew the crime data a bit in a beneficial way for New England.

On the other hand, Southern New England (particularly Boston, but CT and RI all have stronger economies than any of the Northern NE counterparts) provides the fuel for the economic side of the argument. It's also worth noting that many of the major employers in CT are located strongest economic region in CT- the Southewestern corner of the state which is an extension of metropolitan New York City.

It's not unlike what exists in larger states and regions- the major urban centers provide a more diverse variety of employment opportunities and the bulk of the economic output while typically recording higher levels of crime (not necessarily dangerous, but higher) whereas the more rural areas have lower crime, but don't provide the same level of economic employment opportunities. In New England, the divide is pretty distinct. Northern NE is rural and Southern NE is far more urbanized.

Big tech jobs are largely located in the Boston area, yes. Hartford, Providence, Worcester, and Southwestern CT are the other primary economic hubs in the region (all in Southern New England). Maine will not provide you with nearly the same level of opportunity. What opportunity is in Maine will be in the Portland area and again, it'll be far more limited (in terms of availability and salary) than what you'll find in Southern New England. Southern New Hampshire may be a reasonable alternative as it would provide you with access to the Boston area's employment opportunities while being close to Southern Maine. If you really want to make Maine work, I'd suggest locking up work before you come. Maine's a great place to visit, but a hard place to make a living. In the Portland area, the COL is disproportionate with the average income.
Yes, the biggest concerns in states like VT, NH and ME are employment, as good, secure jobs with stable futures do not grow on trees in those states. Outside of Burlington ( VT), Manchester/Nashau ( NH), and Portland/Bangor/Orono ( ME), the pickings can be slim....although the scenery is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City