Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times

Advertisements

Northern panhandle of Idaho is more Washington State. Most of the media comes from Spokane, and when one needs a mall or bigger city feel, it's off to Spokane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
While we are on the subject of Louisiana, Shreveport is often accused of "being in Texas".
True, and Beaumont is often accused of "being in Louisiana" for similar reasons.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Vancouver, WA is more Oregon, but that is a border town. The larger picture is most of S.W. Washington is more like Oregon as well. Portland media can be seen and heard throughout this part of the State.
I thought that too when I visited out there last year.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
New York City is more like Jersey than New York State.

Upstate NY (anything above Westchester) is NOTHING like like NYC area
Are you saying that New Jersey resembles New York?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I was about to say the same thing.
LI, NYC, and Jersey are alike in many ways as opposed to NY state to NYC.

NY state is more like PA state, in a way (I can't say VT because VT is very unique) Pittsburgh = Buffalo (in similarity)
Give me a break

Of course Northern New Jersey resembles NYC a tiny bit as it is part of the metro area but outside of it there is nothing similar between let's say Trenton or Cape May and New York City.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Give me a break

Of course Northern New Jersey resembles NYC a tiny bit as it is part of the metro area but outside of it there is nothing similar between let's say Trenton or Cape May and New York City.
I think he means in "spirit" more than physically (and obviously North Jersey as opposed to south Jersey).
I think it's true, being that NYC natives have been populating North Jersey for many decades now. On the other hand, NYC (and those from the NY state suburbs, hum???) always takes this notion as NJ wanting to be a part of NYC. I don't think that is what anyone is getting at (despite what your ego is telling you NYC). Me, personally............... I love North Jersey & all of its quirky ways (some urban, suburban all mixed in a tight area).
Westchester offers this as well, but we are talking about diff states, so.

Last edited by openheads; 05-11-2009 at 10:40 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 06:41 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Give me a break

uh no duh

Openhands already explained better than i would.

read the title of the thread... North Jersey isn't a state. So yes, i said NJ... but for the most part i meant north jersey... which should of been obvious.

There's no state that I can say is THE SAME compared to another state.... but if you think you can give us that answer, please do.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I think he means in "spirit" more than physically (and obviously North Jersey as opposed to south Jersey).
I think it's true, being that NYC natives have been populating North Jersey for many decades now. On the other hand, NYC (and those from the NY state suburbs, hum???) always takes this notion as NJ wanting to be a part of NYC. I don't think that is what anyone is getting at (despite what your ego is telling you NYC). Me, personally............... I love North Jersey & all of its quirky ways (some urban, suburban all mixed in a tight area).
Westchester offers this as well, but we are talking about diff states, so.

Openheads, are you from the area? New Jersey has always been a subject of jokes in New York. New Joisey is percieved as a cow country right across the river and nothing else. Nobody in New York wants any association as the lifestyle and mentality is so different. If you cross Hudson you feel like you are in a different country. Yes, New Jersey feeds off New York, just compare how real estate prices are tight to proximity to the city and yes, many move to NJ from New York but it is never been anything to be proud off. It's always a compromise.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
uh no duh

Openhands already explained better than i would.

read the title of the thread... North Jersey isn't a state. So yes, i said NJ... but for the most part i meant north jersey... which should of been obvious.

There's no state that I can say is THE SAME compared to another state.... but if you think you can give us that answer, please do.
Newark,
You typed:

"LI, NYC, and Jersey are alike in many ways as opposed to NY state to NYC."

Even looking at North Jersey there is no way that there is any connection between Clifton, Passaic, Parsippany and New York City. The sprit is NOT the same. It;s big suburb versus big city. Surely, NYC has a big gravitational pull and the surrounding areas slowly drift towards New York and change accordingly but to say that New York is more similar to New Jersey (or North Jersey) than NY State is misleading as New Jersey is very different once you get away from New York in any direction and much much smaller than New York State.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How about the other side of North Florida. Pensacola is more like Alabama than it is Florida.
Having been born there, I would agree. Mobile/Baldwin County/Pensacola is like its' own little metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City