Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM

19 posts, read 52,213 times

Advertisements

I saw a similiar thread on here somewhere and it gave me an idea. My husband has been laid off almost a year now and did not qualify for unemployment because he was a subcontractor. I am in school still, to eventually become a nurse. He wants to go into the computer field. But what we were thinking was if we could find somewhere that had really cheap rent, we could get a part time job through a college and then live off our student loans. I know some of you may think we are crazy, but right now we have virtually nothing coming in and are on the verge of being evicted, we do not use credit cards, but figure we could turn this situation into a positive and both of us get an education while things are bad and if we can find somewhere we can live very frugally, it might work.

I have checked tuition and it seems like NY has some great out of state tuition rates and great degree programs, but the rent is not real cheap. Michigan has higher tuition, but cheaper rent. We need to have access to good public schools, and medical care ( he is a diabetic). We want a place with low crime and we prefer a smaller city. If we have easy access to a larger town that would be great, but we don't really do the mall thing or go out to eat. We focus on free things, hiking, the beach, or nearly free things camping, etc. We love to spend time outdoors and walk around at festivals, etc as long as it's free, lol because we have nothing extra!

So, is there anywhere that comes to mind? Any suggestions you can make? We love the snow and cold and all four seasons, and prefer cooler weather to year round heat, but we are open to almost anywhere. So where can you suggest?

Thanks!
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Upstate NY would be your best option. Most of the state schools are in central and northern NY state, and the rent is also very cheap. Stay away from downstate where the rent is sky high. Go with upstate if you don't mind lots of snow and cold.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Thanks! Is there a particular city / town you can recommend? Thanks so much!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
I'm going to recommend the Grand Rapids, MI area.

West Michigan has very good public schools, and is becoming a regional center for health care. The best thing about Grand Rapids for you would be that you can be outside of the city within 20 minutes easily, so you can live in one of the surrounding smaller towns (a lot of great communities in the area). Hudsonville, Lowell, Rockford and Caledonia would be good ones to check out. You could find very reasonable apartments in all of these places.

The college in that area is Grand Valley State University, which has very reasonable tuition and a beautiful rural campus. You can check it out here: Grand Valley State University

I would also go to the Grand Rapids forum and post your question, you should get some very good responses there: //www.city-data.com/forum/grand-rapids-metro-area/

Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 PM

I have heard some great things about both the Grand Rapids area and the Traverse City area. Can you compare them for me? There are things that I like about both ( on paper ) but have never actually been there. We will not be able to take a trip up before we move, so we will be making a huge leap of faith, so anything pro and / or con you can tell me would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritsprite View Post
I have heard some great things about both the Grand Rapids area and the Traverse City area. Can you compare them for me? There are things that I like about both ( on paper ) but have never actually been there. We will not be able to take a trip up before we move, so we will be making a huge leap of faith, so anything pro and / or con you can tell me would be greatly appreciated!
Two totally different cities, but both are very nice. Grand Rapids has more schools and a better assortment of degrees can be obtained than in Traverse City.

TC on the other hand is a LOT smaller and does have a decent Nursing program (I really don't know what they offer in Computers). Both have free/low cost things to do, but TC tends to be a bit more outdoor oriented than the GR area. TC is close to "wine" country and the area around there produces some great wines and that in turn produces some great areas for drives through the country. They are also a HUGE Cherry producing area and hold the National Cherry Festival every year. TC is smaller and very walkable, but the winters are longer and harder than those in Grand Rapids. Also Traverse City is located right on Lake Michigan's Grand Traverse Bay which gives the whole area a more laid-back feeling.

Grand Rapids has a LOT going for it. I get down there a couple times a month just because. It is more centrally located in the State and makes driving times to go anywhere else shorter (Unless you are going to the UP). Chicago is a few Hours away, as is Detroit. For me the major drawback with GR is it is inland and away from Lake Michigan. It does have the Grand River running right through town which is nice to walk along in the evening on the riverwalk. It has more of a bigger city feel than TC, but even though it is around 1 million in it's metro area, the attitude and feeling is of a much smaller community. It is an area that is hard to describe really. Bigger city amenities, but small city feel. Close to everything, but stands on it's own. A few minutes will get you out of town and into farm country with orchards and just about anything else you can think of.

I think it would come down to what you like better if both places offer the courses you want and need. Bigger city with some nightlife - GR; Smaller place that is quiet - TC. Both offer festivals, both offer nature close on hand, both offer opportunity in Healthcare (GR has more choice due to it's size).

Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally posted by bydand
Two totally different cities, but both are very nice. Grand Rapids has more schools and a better assortment of degrees can be obtained than in Traverse City.

TC on the other hand is a LOT smaller and does have a decent Nursing program (I really don't know what they offer in Computers). Both have free/low cost things to do, but TC tends to be a bit more outdoor oriented than the GR area. TC is close to "wine" country and the area around there produces some great wines and that in turn produces some great areas for drives through the country. They are also a HUGE Cherry producing area and hold the National Cherry Festival every year. TC is smaller and very walkable, but the winters are longer and harder than those in Grand Rapids. Also Traverse City is located right on Lake Michigan's Grand Traverse Bay which gives the whole area a more laid-back feeling.

Grand Rapids has a LOT going for it. I get down there a couple times a month just because. It is more centrally located in the State and makes driving times to go anywhere else shorter (Unless you are going to the UP). Chicago is a few Hours away, as is Detroit. For me the major drawback with GR is it is inland and away from Lake Michigan. It does have the Grand River running right through town which is nice to walk along in the evening on the riverwalk. It has more of a bigger city feel than TC, but even though it is around 1 million in it's metro area, the attitude and feeling is of a much smaller community. It is an area that is hard to describe really. Bigger city amenities, but small city feel. Close to everything, but stands on it's own. A few minutes will get you out of town and into farm country with orchards and just about anything else you can think of.

I think it would come down to what you like better if both places offer the courses you want and need. Bigger city with some nightlife - GR; Smaller place that is quiet - TC. Both offer festivals, both offer nature close on hand, both offer opportunity in Healthcare (GR has more choice due to it's size).
I second Grand Rapids. I lived there for a year and LOVED it. The metro area is a nice midwestern city. I was only 35 miles from Lake Michigan, not far from great surrounding towns, and closer to "up North" I think that when the MI economy recovers (crosses fingers) GR (and W. Michigan in general) will be the first area to bounce back.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritsprite View Post
Thanks! Is there a particular city / town you can recommend? Thanks so much!

Maybe Rochester or Syracuse.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
I would recommend in the current day in the U.S. ... to not take on anymore debt. There is no guarantee that even when you finish your degree you are actually going to have a job to pay off your loans, neither with your boyfriend... especially in IT... IT along with automotive are the most outsourced industries (especially the entry level stuff) with no sign of decline. You could move to california and go live in a commune while going to best public schools in the country.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:
I would recommend in the current day in the U.S. ... to not take on anymore debt.
This is probably the best piece of advice in this thread, unfortunately for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City