Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,186 times

Advertisements

I went to vist my family in Houston and they wanted to know what city in North Texas do I live in I said Dallas.When I answered they just started to talk about Dallas for know reason.Thay act like we don't live in the same state.I know Dallas talk about Houston too but, what I am trying to find out is why they hate each other so much.

Is it because Dallas' metro is bigger than Houston's metro.

Is it because Houston has taller buildings and a better skyline than Dallas.

What is it???????

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
Please tell me you know there is a Texas forum.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I know, most of the people chiming in on this are going to be Texans. I don't see the point of this being in here.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:55 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I know, most of the people chiming in on this are going to be Texans. I don't see the point of this being in here.
than get out.....

Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
I know why they hate each other? They are both vying for the hillbilly award.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I went to vist my family in Houston and they wanted to know what city in North Texas do I live in I said Dallas.When I answered they just started to talk about Dallas for know reason.Thay act like we don't live in the same state.I know Dallas talk about Houston too but, what I am trying to find out is why they hate each other so much.

Is it because Dallas' metro is bigger than Houston's metro.

Is it because Houston has taller buildings and a better skyline than Dallas.

What is it???????
My guess is that MOST people in each city don't actually "hate" the other city as much as they are in deep COMPETITION with each other. Think about it --- two of America's largest cities/metros are in the SAME STATE competiting for business, recognition, tourism and of course sports!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
My guess is that MOST people in each city don't actually "hate" the other city as much as they are in deep COMPETITION with each other. Think about it --- two of America's largest cities/metros are in the SAME STATE competiting for business, recognition, tourism and of course sports!
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Texas is a very masculine state, very pro-sports, pro-competition and all that. Dallas and Houston have what is usually a friendly sibling rivalry that sometimes gets out of hand. In real life, people in those cities really don't think about people in the other much at all. The rivalry mostly only exists on message boards like these. And don't forget that Dallas also has a rivalry with Fort Worth.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,019 times
It may have something to do with Houston's rep as a gritty, blue collar factory town, where Dallas is seen as more cosmopolitan & white collar. Sibling rivalry. It can't be pro sports, as Houston is not known as a competitive pro sports town.

Exxon keeps the refinery near Hoston, but corporate is by Dallas, as a comparison.

(and yes I know it's technically Baytown & Irving).

Old 05-02-2009, 05:01 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
It may have something to do with Houston's rep as a gritty, blue collar factory town, where Dallas is seen as more cosmopolitan & white collar. Sibling rivalry. It can't be pro sports, as Houston is not known as a competitive pro sports town.

Exxon keeps the refinery near Hoston, but corporate is by Dallas, as a comparison.

(and yes I know it's technically Baytown & Irving).
She didn't mean "professional sports." She meant "pro" as in "for." On a college and high school level, sports (especially football and basketball) are very popular in the Houston area and in Texas.

I think rivalry has a lot to do with what you said though---image vs. reality. Despite their outward similarities, the two cities are quite different underneath.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 05-02-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 06:51 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I know why they hate each other? They are both vying for the hillbilly award.
Seriously? Were you TRYING to be funny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City