Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
rep up
How soon again before you move back?

Old 05-24-2009, 04:31 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
You are either

(1) dumb
(2) tasteless
(3) mean chicagos loop has crispier buildings than ghetto Jackson Heights

It's funny, the buildings in Houston look much cleaner and crisper than Chicago's but we all know Chic has better buildings.

But you must have walked within a three mile radius of the loop if you think "all Chicago's buildings are crisp" because most buildings in Chicago are run down and ghetto.

Yea, Empire State, flatiron, chrisler, nytimes, guggenheim, Hearst, bank of America, metlite, etc are all crumbling and need help!!!

If you want crisp boring buildings Battery Park in lower manhattan seemed more cute, polished, (re: suburban/boring) than any section of Chicago I've seen.
lol... I wasn't considering my neighborhood, and Jackson Heights isn't ghetto either. You do know that just because a neighborhood is Hispanic doesn't make it a bad place? The houses here have very nice looks.. a lot of them seem "medieval". I'm entitled to my opinion without being called dumb, or tasteless, and I understand that Chicago's buildings have their own problems, but I just like them better than NYC buildings.

Last edited by analyticalkeys; 05-24-2009 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-24-2009, 05:37 AM

605 posts, read 1,843,521 times
advocat
why cant you just effing accept that people like chicago and dont mind the l. Some people actually like it, and if you dont live by one i can understand why. And Chicago has gorgeous architecture, and you could say it is more crisp because it is newer. As u and other people are obsessed with bringing up it is 200 years younger. Chi has modern skyscrapers with some old, nyc has old skyscrapers with some new. Its just a matter of preferance.

Americanboy, nobody cares about houston and its architecture. Its laughable for being the 4th biggest city in america, almost disgraceful. Its downtown makes it look like a city of 500 thousand.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:07 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
advocat
why cant you just effing accept that people like chicago and dont mind the l. Some people actually like it, and if you dont live by one i can understand why. And Chicago has gorgeous architecture, and you could say it is more crisp because it is newer. As u and other people are obsessed with bringing up it is 200 years younger. Chi has modern skyscrapers with some old, nyc has old skyscrapers with some new. Its just a matter of preferance.

Americanboy, nobody cares about houston and its architecture. Its laughable for being the 4th biggest city in america, almost disgraceful. Its downtown makes it look like a city of 500 thousand.
I find it funny that neither one of them live in NYC.

I can accept intelligent responses from both sides. Both cities have great architecture. The two top cities in this country. But what has TV done to the youth?!

It is very evident on these threads (and immediately shows a poster's age/maturity level).

Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 AM

467 posts, read 874,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I find it funny that neither one of them live in NYC.

I can accept intelligent responses from both sides. Both cities have great architecture. The two top cities in this country. But what has TV done to the youth?!

It is very evident on these threads (and immediately shows a poster's age/maturity level).

Right, gtownoe. Chicago has great architecture only if you belive it does not stretch beyond the Loop. Outside of the loop you have either depressing bungalows or cookie cutter condos, not much of architecture, not much of any beauty. When you talk about Chicago architecture try to realize that Chicago is much bigger then Loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
advocat
Modern skyscrapers with some old? Have you been outside of the Loop? Or maybe you consider Six Corners a thing of beauty?

Most of Chicago is gritty, butt-ugly. Not much urban planning, not much enforcing zoning laws, not much of any originality. It's ugly.

Yes, I believe that saome people actually like the L's aesthetics, it's unbelievable what people may consider beautiful. To me, those rusted, nosiy bridges are nothing else but a legacy to XIX century transportation technology.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:34 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Right, gtownoe. Chicago has great architecture only if you belive it does not stretch beyond the Loop. Outside of the loop you have either depressing bungalows or cookie cutter condos, not much of architecture, not much of any beauty. When you talk about Chicago architecture try to realize that Chicago is much bigger then Loop.

Modern skyscrapers with some old? Have you been outside of the Loop? Or maybe you consider Six Corners a thing of beauty?

Most of Chicago is gritty, butt-ugly. Not much urban planning, not much enforcing zoning laws, not much of any originality. It's ugly.

Yes, I believe that saome people actually like the L's aesthetics, it's unbelievable what people may consider beautiful. To me, those rusted, nosiy bridges are nothing else but a legacy to XIX century transportation technology.
True, the housing stock in NYC is definitely better but Chicago can hold its own in quality vs. NYC as far as skyscrapers go.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 AM

467 posts, read 874,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
True, the housing stock in NYC is definitely better but Chicago can hold its own in quality vs. NYC as far as skyscrapers go.
Noone denies Chicago has skyscrpers but calling Chicago beuatiful is a little stretch as most of the city (I am not even talking about the South and West sides) is filled with old bungalows and cookie-cutter condos mixed without any thought given to easthetics. Chicago is terribly ugly almost anywhere outside of the Loop.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,581 times
Quote:
Noone denies Chicago has skyscrpers but calling Chicago beuatiful is a little stretch as most of the city (I am not even talking about the South and West sides) is filled with old bungalows and cookie-cutter condos mixed without any thought given to easthetics. Chicago is terribly ugly almost anywhere outside of the Loop.
How is New York any different? Most of New York stretches beyond Manhattan. Most fo New York is gritty & old, if not older than Chicago. You want to talk about aesthetics? Go outside Manhattan. Most of New York is tenements and creepy looking brownstone apts also known as projects...which scatter throughout the city.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Go outside Manhattan. Most of New York is tenements and creepy looking brownstone apts also known as projects...which scatter throughout the city.
This isn't really true at all..

Old 05-24-2009, 01:40 PM

94 posts, read 282,048 times
"Outside of the loop you have either depressing bungalows or cookie cutter condos, not much of architecture, not much of any beauty. When you talk about Chicago architecture try to realize that Chicago is much bigger then Loop."

Yes there are several ugly places outside of the loop, mainly the west and south sides, but there's more to see than just bungalows and condos. If you've strolled through Hyde Park on the southside, where President Obama used to reside, you'd know. If you've ever driven through Bridgeport on the southside on your way to a White Sox game, you'd know. If you've walked through Wrigleyville on your way to a cubs game, if you've been bar hopping in Lincoln Park, walking around Little Italy, etc etc there are numerous charming neighborhoods throughout Chicago where you can see brownstones and lots of elegant and inviting architecture. Not to mention the historic Michigan Avenue wall, the Streeterville historic wall (the Drake Hotel is one of my favorites ), much of Rivernorth. There's more to Chicago architecture than just the skyscrapers.

I'm not disputing that New York has beautiful architecture but calling most of Chicago terribly ugly, quite frankly, is very insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City