Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I used to think that, but I've changed my mind. AdvocatusDiavoli certainly is. However, KONY gives too much love to Chicago, and it's not done in a smarmy way.
Im saying cant we just rejoice as being the top two skylines in the world. People forget that the world got its blueprint off what happened between these two cities. If anything hong kong learned from us. Leave it at that.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,744,015 times
So do you think the folks at AIA (The American Institute of Architects) are a bunch of fools? They claimed Chicago architecture is finest in the country. Got a problem with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I dont have to read an article, I have been to Chicago many times and grew up in NYC area. Chicago is a very nice city but you are fooling yourself if you think the architecture is better than New York. The entire Northeast is an architectural mecca. Chicago ranks up there but does not surpass other older major American cities.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:10 AM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Just some thoughts:

The lack of setbacks in Chicago makes a huge difference in the feel of Chicago in comparison to NYC, but it's definitely a matter of opinion on whether or not one is better than the other. Chicago has an incredible feeling of being towered over when you walk the streets that NYC just doesn't have, but of course some people don't jive well with that.

Conversely, another point that was brought up in a topic about urban canyons is how winding streets can make a complex of skyscrapers much more intense. Downtown Manhattan is like that and is hence one of my favorite places to walk around--though Midtown has the more iconic buildings, it's just all that impressive to me when I'm walking the streets.

This all may seem tangential to which city has the better architecture, but the context and feeling you get when walking the streets probably has a strong affect on how you feel about the architecture. For me, Chicago just felt much more impressive (and the knowledge of Chicago's history in architecture as well as its having some of my favorite buildings) than NYC does--but, I'm certainly aware that other people could feel differently.

Also, being host to Skidmore, Owings and Merrill is hecka exciting.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 AM

116 posts, read 365,059 times
Why is a thread that's made by a troll 53 pages

Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,434,073 times
New York City.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,815,925 times
Why don't you all just kill each other and get it over with..both cities have excellent architecture..

Old 05-29-2009, 01:00 AM

633 posts, read 1,443,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Im saying cant we just rejoice as being the top two skylines in the world. People forget that the world got its blueprint off what happened between these two cities. If anything hong kong learned from us. Leave it at that.
That's what I meant. I didn't mean that you give too much love to Chicago in general. I meant that you give too much love to Chicago to be Dementor. He hates Chicago. Therefore, you cannot be Dementor, since you like Chicago.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 AM

467 posts, read 874,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Chicago has an incredible feeling of being towered over when you walk the streets that NYC just doesn't have, but of course some people don't jive well with that.
I suspect you have never been to New York. It has 5000 skyscrapers so its much denser than Chicago. The "towered over" feel is in many locations in Manhattan while Chicago besides "La Salle canyon" does not have tha many.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:35 AM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
I suspect you have never been to New York. It has 5000 skyscrapers so its much denser than Chicago. The "towered over" feel is in many locations in Manhattan while Chicago besides "La Salle canyon" does not have tha many.
You can suspect it all you want. As tall and numerous as the buildings are, I only get that sensation when I'm in lower Manhattan. I suspect it's the setbacks that keep midtown from doing the same for me, but I might be wrong. A "feeling" can be pretty vague, I suppose.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 AM

633 posts, read 1,443,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can suspect it all you want. As tall and numerous as the buildings are, I only get that sensation when I'm in lower Manhattan. I suspect it's the setbacks that keep midtown from doing the same for me, but I might be wrong. A "feeling" can be pretty vague, I suppose.
I got the same feeling when walking around in Midtown. The buildings' setbacks create a totally different feel than I got in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City