Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,930,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Please, enough of this Chicago BS.

Chicago is nothing but combination of tall poppy complex (reverse snobbery, anti-snobbery) and an ARE COUNTRY mentality. You'll get some Chicagoans/Midwesterners thinking they're better than people from outside the Midwest because they're happy with their lite beers and sandwiches and camping trips in the Northwoods and don't need to eat at no trendy ethnic restaurants or take no fancy vacations and so on. At best, it's a benign lack of interest in anything different or new (which is fine by me); at worst, it's intolerance and bigotry.

Not all Midwesterners think like this, but it's a self-selecting pool. The people who are born in the Midwest but choose to live the bulk of their lives elsewhere are usually pretty cool, but those who self-select to stay in the Midwest can suffer from the attitude described above.

It's so sad how provincial Chicago and its inhabitants are, given its decent size and decent status as a major city in the United States. Most people are from the midwest, went to big 10 schools, and are not very well-travelled. When other cities like NYC, SF, LA, come up, they'll say a variation of "those cities are overrated," or "It's a decent place to visit, but I could NEVER live there because Chicago is where it's at." Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but that's just my opinion.

I also find it hilarious when people think spending summers in Chicago is the pinnnacle of the summer experience. Chicago is and will never be on the same level as NYC, why is so hard for you to understand this?
I would hope that you would say you don't like it when people stereotype, but that's exactly what you are doing. Your comments are also hypocritical - ripping on Midwesterners for liking where they live, while in the same breath saying nothing compares to NYC (do you see the hypocrisy)? You don't speak for me, and you have no right to judge me. I love the Midwest, have traveled, and choose to be here. I'm glad you find it so "hilarious" that people like the summers in Chicago. If we wanted to be in the fair city of NYC, we would be. Some people choose Chicago and the Midwest because they love it. You can have your opinions, but it's a small person who stereotypes and judges.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,705,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Uh, Yes. Easily.

And you might want to find a new photograph since that tall silver building is imaginary and not built. You know nothing about Chicago or New York.
Thank you for posting this

Old 05-27-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I would hope that you would say you don't like it when people stereotype, but that's exactly what you are doing. Your comments are also hypocritical - ripping on Midwesterners for liking where they live, while in the same breath saying nothing compares to NYC (do you see the hypocrisy)? You don't speak for me, and you have no right to judge me. I love the Midwest, have traveled, and choose to be here. I'm glad you find it so "hilarious" that people like the summers in Chicago. If we wanted to be in the fair city of NYC, we would be. Some people choose Chicago and the Midwest because they love it. You can have your opinions, but it's a small person who stereotypes and judges.
New York is the best city. A lot of people will agree with me. Deep down you know that NYC is the best city, but you don't want to admit it.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,263,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
My point is, just because a city has tall buildings does not mean that it has better architecture.

Look @ this:

I didn't go out of my way to choose the "best" picture of Chicago...but can you honestly tell my that NYC looks nicer than that? No, lol, you cannot.

Personally, I like Boston better than both of these places.
But lol, you said your preference is not for tall buildings but then you show me a nice picture of ...... ta da .... tall buildings! I hope you know ALL THREE CITIES have nice smaller buildings and New York has entire neighborhoods of them. People forget that New York is not just Manhattan.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 PM

467 posts, read 874,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
The United Nations for the most part is a joke. It really doesn't prevent war. Hell, we've gone to war twice in the past decade and we have a potential World War III on our hands.
How about seat belts. We use them but people still die in accidents. Should we get rid of those dubious contraptions?
Kid, United Nations maybe be perceived as a joke but in reality it is the only global forum we have on this planet.. There is no other. It maybe perceived as powerless or paralyzed but it is the only one we have. Appreciate the fact it exists...

Quote:
Wall Street...you mean Stall Street? That place has drove itself straight into the ground. NYC's unemployment wont be back to its pre recession rate until atleast 2014. Wall Street isn't anything to brag about right now.
What not? Let's imagine what would happen if Wall Street closed for afew days like during 9/11.... No matter what nespapers say Wall Street is critical to US and global economies....

Quote:
Broadway...really Dementor? Again...
Who is dementor? And yes, Broadway, the only place on the planet with 40 over 500 seats theaters and hundreds of smaller theaters. Nothing like that anywhere on the planet although West End comes close.

Quote:
NYC's stature is fading. Its nowhere near the giant it was.
Au contraire. It's bigger, stronger and better looking than ever before.
Come visit.

Quote:
In terms of architecture, NYC and Chicago are about the same age.
Really? How is that possible that no building was ever erected in New York before Chicago's transformation from a trading post to a city?
Kid, New York was a thriving city before Chicago was conceived on the prairie. There are some very old buildings in New York, Boston and Philly.

Quote:
NYC isn't the established archiectual leader...I'm pretty sure most people would say D.C is.
Did you ask most people? Most people consider New York buildings to be more iconic than any other buildings in the country. ESB, Chrysler, Flatiron are fixtures of American culture either you like it or you do not.

Quote:
Anyway, Chicago has the better architecture overall, while NYC has the better individual buildings.
Quote:
The ESB would beat the Sears Tower anyday, but overall, Chicago is better.

Comparing skyscrpers is one thing, forgetting that most cities do not consists of skyscrapers only is another. I think overall, considering New York iconic skyscrapers, iconic residential architecture of Manhattan and outer boros (Dakota and park Slope brownstones), incredible city planning with famous squares (Times, Union, Washington Squares) and Central Park, famous monuments like Lady Liberty, Columbus, Washington Square Arch, bridges such as Brooklyn and Verrazzano - New York clearly comes up as a winner. I know both cities and while Chicago may have some picturesque areas, New York's variety of neighborhoods and architectonic styles accummulated over close to 400 of its history is simply unbeatable. New York has better architecture over all and it is hard to imagine that it could be otherwise considering that it is much older, much larger and much more affluent.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 PM

633 posts, read 1,443,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
How about seat belts. We use them but people still die in accidents. Should we get rid of those dubious contraptions?
Kid, United Nations maybe be perceived as a joke but in reality it is the only global forum we have on this planet.. There is no other. It maybe perceived as powerless or paralyzed but it is the only one we have. Appreciate the fact it exists...

What not? Let's imagine what would happen if Wall Street closed for afew days like during 9/11.... No matter what nespapers say Wall Street is critical to US and global economies....

Who is dementor? And yes, Broadway, the only place on the planet with 40 over 500 seats theaters and hundreds of smaller theaters. Nothing like that anywhere on the planet although West End comes close.

Come visit.

Really? How is that possible that no building was ever erected in New York before Chicago's transformation from a trading post to a city?
Kid, New York was a thriving city before Chicago was conceived on the prairie. There are some very old buildings in New York, Boston and Philly.

Did you ask most people? Most people consider New York buildings to be more iconic than any other buildings in the country. ESB, Chrysler, Flatiron are fixtures of American culture either you like it or you do not.

Comparing skyscrpers is one thing, forgetting that most cities do not consists of skyscrapers only is another. I think overall, considering New York iconic skyscrapers, iconic residential architecture of Manhattan and outer boros (Dakota and park Slope brownstones), incredible city planning with famous squares (Times, Union, Washington Squares) and Central Park, famous monuments like Lady Liberty, Columbus, Washington Square Arch, bridges such as Brooklyn and Verrazzano - New York clearly comes up as a winner. I know both cities and while Chicago may have some picturesque areas, New York's variety of neighborhoods and architectonic styles accummulated over close to 400 of its history is simply unbeatable. New York has better architecture over all and it is hard to imagine that it could be otherwise considering that it is much older, much larger and much more affluent.
Dementor, you have to stop calling people "kid." It gives away who you truly are. You thought by adopting a cool, Latin nickname, you would give yourself a fresh start on this forum. We have some bad news for you, though (we=everyone who cares about the increasingly irrelevant subject that is you): your "Devil's Advocate" character has devolved into Dementor 2.0. Just as annoying, but twice as pretentious. This is not a personal attack (though I'm sure you will alert the moderator as if it were); I'm just here to help.

Anyway, Chicago doesn't have to be bad for NYC to be good. They are both great cities. Some people prefer one; some people prefer the other. You claim that you like NYC best, while I personally could not say a city was my favorite that didn't have the vertical layers created by the 'L' (above street level) and the River (below street level), as well as the multiple double- and triple-layered streets. For me, this makes Chicago vastly more appealing than NYC's bare street layout. For you, that might not be the case.

To say that other people are stupid because they don't like the same thing as you only makes you look small.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post

Come visit.

Great posts. The only things I disagreed with is NYC stature being greater than ever--it's possible a bit of a sea change is happening in the financial world and sunbelt cities have been taking some of the limelight from the older cities. Also, DC might actually give NYC a really good run for its money when it comes to iconic architecture--though that certainly doesn't make DC an architectural leader.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Dementor, you have to stop calling people "kid." It gives away who you truly are. You thought by adopting a cool, Latin nickname, you would give yourself a fresh start on this forum. We have some bad news for you, though (we=everyone who cares about the increasingly irrelevant subject that is you): your "Devil's Advocate" character has devolved into Dementor 2.0. Just as annoying, but twice as pretentious. This is not a personal attack (though I'm sure you will alert the moderator as if it were); I'm just here to help.

Anyway, Chicago doesn't have to be bad for NYC to be good. They are both great cities. Some people prefer one; some people prefer the other. You claim that you like NYC best, while I personally could not say a city was my favorite that didn't have the vertical layers created by the 'L' (above street level) and the River (below street level), as well as the multiple double- and triple-layered streets. For me, this makes Chicago vastly more appealing than NYC's bare street layout. For you, that might not be the case.

To say that other people are stupid because they don't like the same thing as you only makes you look small.
I have to disagree with you. Why do you think there are more tourists in NYC taking pictures of the skylines in NYC more than in Chicago. It proves that NYC skylines are way better than those of Chicago's

Old 05-27-2009, 10:16 PM

467 posts, read 874,839 times
Quote:
Anyway, Chicago doesn't have to be bad for NYC to be good. They are both great cities. Some people prefer one; some people prefer the other.
Really? But it is OK to claim that Chicago has a better overall architecture like Spire did, right?
Saying that Chicago has better overall architecture than New York simply proves that the poster have either never been to New York or have not spend enough time to see the city in all five boros.

Quote:
You claim that you like NYC best, while I personally could not say a city was my favorite that didn't have the vertical layers created by the 'L' (above street level) and the River (below street level), as well as the multiple double- and triple-layered streets. For me, this makes Chicago vastly more appealing than NYC's bare street layout. For you, that might not be the case.
Manhattan had the L and "vertical layers" long time ago but as every modern city on the planet confined the trains to its underbelly where they belong. The L's brings dust, noise and block the sun making streets underneath less attractive. Similarly layered streets block the sun from the street on the ground level making them unatractive with a distinct "undeground bunker feel" There is no place for this design in a real, modern city, unless underground. There is nothing like that in Paris, New York or London. ANd yes, New York has not one but two rivers. Each one making Chicago river look like a stream.

BTW. Vertical layers? Did you ever notice that Wells in Chicago does not have any restaurants with outside dining. Do you know why??? There is a noisy, dusty L overhead. That's what "layered layout" does to a street. It kills it.

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-27-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
hes a fraud, his name is nyc3 yet hes anti-new york. Which one are you. Know real new yorker would say the things he says. Probably not even from new york
You got that right... I don't believe he is or was ever a NYer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City