Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 aka dementor aka advocatusdiavoli aka thefinalcut View Post
Really? Please enlighten us on all these strip malls in core neighborhoods in NYC. Sorry, there are none. Not one in Manhattan. And even further out, there are very few relative to Chicago.

Chicago has strip malls on North Ave. That's definitely a core neighborhood. Heck, there are a strip-mall type developments (drive-in banks, pharmacies, and other stores) in River North. Last year I went to a Petco or Petsmart in River North. It had free parking, and you just drove right in (though in this case it wasn't a strip mall).

The only Chicago neighborhood with no strip malls is the Loop. In contrast, the entirety of Manhattan has no strip malls, and there are very few in most of the Bronx and Brooklyn. Basically only a handful in far northeast Bronx and far southeast Brooklyn.

Queens has some but proportionally fewer than Chicago. Staten Island has a lot but is a relatively small proportion of the city (490,000 out of 8.4 million total population).
Ah, one of your favorite tactics: move the goalposts. When a criterion used against Chicago is used against New York, why, simply change the criteria!

Your schtik was old about 3 or 4 screen names ago. Using a new screen name doesn't make it any more fresh or compelling.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
I don't think I've ever seen a strip mall in NYC.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ah, one of your favorite tactics: move the goalposts. When a criterion used against Chicago is used against New York, why, simply change the criteria!

Your schtik was old about 3 or 4 screen names ago. Using a new screen name doesn't make it any more fresh or compelling.
Sorry, I've had one screen name. That's a fact.

And the only change in topic is from you. I responded DIRECTLY to your point, and you have no response, so you claim I am other forumers or something.

And who the hell are you trolling this thread? Are you 12 or something? Where are these alleged strip malls? Respond to my points, or GTFO. You are obviously intellectually outmatched here.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Eh, I've driven around Queens a lot, and there are definitely a good number of strip malls there. All the outer boroughs have them. It's hard to say if there's more proportionally since Chicago is a much smaller city in terms of physical size and population, but as the outer boroughs make up the bulk of NYC in both population and area, the proportions might be very similar. I have an idea though--how about a very basic criteria of the number of big box stores (perhaps kmart, walmart, and target? Any others?) in proportion to land area and population size (we'll have to decide on what a reasonable weight for the two are)? Does that sound like something reasonable to go on?

Add: Does the Loop and Near North Side have strip malls in it? If we want to talk about how NYC's core is devoid of strip malls, then it'd be good to know if Chicago's core is the same.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
Here is the link.

The Not-So-Second City - The Atlantic (January/February 2006)

Regarding the Gehry's statement , he said that at the Millenium Park grand opening in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
You do not include a source for any of these claims.

None of these links address architecture, and there is no Gehry reference.

As for the AIA quote, maybe it's because they are constanty at war with NYC, and they have a constant lovefest with Chicago.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Boy, this is not being shoved down our throats time and time again.

So just cuz these guys say so, that makes it the truth? Are they the gospel to all things architecture? All i know is new york has a long history of incredible architecture since the early 1900s and i would never bring up an institute just to back it up. Ya clinging for dear life with this AIA thing

So are you, a city-data poster, more equipped as a judge than the experts?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Really? Please enlighten us on all these strip malls in core neighborhoods in NYC. Sorry, there are none. Not one in Manhattan. And even further out, there are very few relative to Chicago.

Chicago has strip malls on North Ave. That's definitely a core neighborhood. Heck, there are a strip-mall type developments (drive-in banks, pharmacies, and other stores) in River North. Last year I went to a Petco or Petsmart in River North. It had free parking, and you just drove right in (though in this case it wasn't a strip mall).

The only Chicago neighborhood with no strip malls is the Loop. In contrast, the entirety of Manhattan has no strip malls, and there are very few in most of the Bronx and Brooklyn. Basically only a handful in far northeast Bronx and far southeast Brooklyn.

Queens has some but proportionally fewer than Chicago. Staten Island has a lot but is a relatively small proportion of the city (490,000 out of 8.4 million total population).
Manhatten is a densely packed island. It is THE core of NYC and while its not all considered downtown (due to its massive size) it works as the "downtown" of the NYC metro area.

If you want to talk about the downtown of Chicago. Then talk about the Loop.

Where do you see strip malls in the loop?

Yes, NYC is denser than Chicago. Everybody gets that. I'm personally glad its not as dense as NYC.

Can we get back to the topic of architecture?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eh, I've driven around Queens a lot, and there are definitely a good number of strip malls there. All the outer boroughs have them. It's hard to say if there's more proportionally since Chicago is a much smaller city in terms of physical size and population, but as the outer boroughs make up the bulk of NYC in both population and area, the proportions might be very similar.
No, the proportion is not similar. Yes, there are strip malls in Queens, but almost none in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and they are not on every commercial street in Queens like in Chicago. Along Queens Boulevard, the biggest commercial street in Queens, I can think of one small strip mall, and this is along 8 miles or so. Compare that to any commercial street in Chicago, where you cannot go a mile down any street without a strip mall, even close to downtown.

Oh, and Chicago is NOT a "much smaller city in terms of physical size". In fact, it is almost exactly the same size as NYC minus Staten Island. It is true, however, that the populations are not comparable (massive differences in density).
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Add: Does the Loop and Near North Side have strip malls in it? If we want to talk about how NYC's core is devoid of strip malls, then it'd be good to know if Chicago's core is the same.
The Loop has no strip malls, but it's maybe one square mile. There are, however, many strip malls just outside the Loop in all directions (including, of course, the Near North Side). As I have mentioned, there are strip malls in River North, on North Ave., on Milwaukee, and on Roosevelt Road (all just outside the Loop). And let's not even talk about the Clybourn Corridor, which is like strip mall heaven.

In contrast, Manhattan, with nearly 1.7 million residents, has NONE. Not one.

Brooklyn, with 2.5 million residents has very few. Most neighborhoods have none. The only places where they are somewhat common is in far southeast Brooklyn, and even there they do not dominate. The vast, vast majority of Brooklyn has no strip malls whatsover.

The Bronx, with 1.5 million residents, also has very few. I think there is only one south of Fordham Road (basically half the bororugh). There are a few in far Northeast Bronx near Coop City. You might find a few in the far east Bronx near the bridges. Outside of those areas, basically none.

So these three boroughs combined, you have twice Chicago's population, and can count the number of strip malls on a few hands, if even that.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So are you, a city-data poster, more equipped as a judge than the experts?
If where going to look at it that way than this poll and the fact that nyc is leading it, accounts for nothing lol

Anyway a skyscraper is as good as it looks. Nothing more nothing less, everyone can have an opinion on that

Old 07-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
If where going to look at it that way than this poll and the fact that nyc is leading it, accounts for nothing lol

Anyway a skyscraper is as good as it looks. Nothing more nothing less, everyone can have an opinion on that

NYC is winning by 3 percentage points. If you take all things into account thats pretty much a win for Chicago.

More people have been to NYC than Chicago. NYC is glamourized much more than NYC. NYC is the 8th most expensive city in the world.

Also, nobody is denying that NYC has GREAT architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City