Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Funniest regional style of humor
Northeast 29 63.04%
South 12 26.09%
Midwest 2 4.35%
West 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times

Advertisements

There's a dry, ironic humor that is often times not politically correct that is common in the Northeast. I love it. It won't fly in other areas of the country and this I've noticed. A lot of people like to think of people from the Northeast as stuffy and uptight but I think it's because they don't pick up on the subtleties of the humor and culture. I've heard funny things up here that I just know I couldn't repeat in other regions without making a lot of people angry. Often times it has something to do with religion, politics, or current pop-culture/ lifestyle issues.

To give an example that I know wouldn't fly (and may not even fly on this forum), I once dialed a friend's phone and he answered this way, "Joe's abortion clinic, no fetus can beat us." I found it hilarious. Most people I know do. I am fully aware that this humor would be considered terrible and out of line in other places. Not too long ago, I was at a funeral for a friend who passed way too early (age 22). Given the age of our friend, there was a large turnout for the wake and funeral. Of course we were all grief stricken, but while we were waiting in at the wake, a few attractive girls were standing a couple of yards in front of us. I turned to my friend and said, "I know this isn't the right place, but that girl is absolutely smokin' hot" he agreed and proceeded to ask her for her number. When she gave him a disgusted look (I'm assuming because of situation), he quickly replied, "hey, Mike (our deceased friend) would be right here next to me asking the same thing if he were alive!" and she laughed and actually gave him her number. They dated for 5 months. While I wouldn't do that at my grandmother's wake, it worked out wonderfully our friend's (who absolutely would have done the same thing). It was hilarious and I can't imagine that working the same way elsewhere. It's a way of making the best out of a bad situation and It's a fond memory of an otherwise terrible time and despite the fact that many would consider it terrible, I am glad we found a positive in all the negative and our friend Mike would be proud.

For these reasons, I say the Northeast has the best humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 05:26 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,340 times
I agree with the majority that it's the northeast. Out of the northeast element, that type of humor can come across as sarcastic or even insulting. But when you are in the thick of it, it's infectious. You develop a thicker skin, roll with it, and before you know it, you have a quick wit & sharp sense of humor.

I grew up out west and worked all over - humor in other regions seems more...hmm...reserved?; and maybe afraid of offending. In the northeast, it seems like everyone has an understanding not to be too sensitive when a little fun is poked at our human follies.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
I like wiseguy humor. (Not coincidentally, I consider myself a wiseguy.) Northeast wins.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:47 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
I like the sarcastic humor in the northeast. I also like offensive humor. I dont know if offensive humor is specific to one area.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
I agree with the majority that it's the northeast. Out of the northeast element, that type of humor can come across as sarcastic or even insulting. But when you are in the thick of it, it's infectious. You develop a thicker skin, roll with it, and before you know it, you have a quick wit & sharp sense of humor.

I grew up out west and worked all over - humor in other regions seems more...hmm...reserved?; and maybe afraid of offending. In the northeast, it seems like everyone has an understanding not to be too sensitive when a little fun is poked at our human follies.
Exactly, I love sarcasm because it's like a game of wits to me (it's like "think fast" without objects being thrown). I was actually playing ball against a guy who was in his late 30's and he hit the game winning shot and celebrated it, I said "We got the Finals MVP here" and this guy's reaction was like I insulted his mother. I thought he was going to say something like "Yeah, I'm that nice" but I offended the guy. Regardless of where they're from, I love being able to just unwind and joke with people... people who are too serious are a little crazy to me.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Northeastern humor is the best because -- while people sometimes stereotype Northeasterners for being uptight and stuffy -- you'll never find a more down-to-earth and hold-no-punches bunch of people to joke with. It's definitely not for the thin-skinned or easily-offended.

Think Lisa Lampanelli and Howard Stern.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
I would say the Northeast has the best, followed by the Midwest. The West is easily the worst.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:36 AM

306 posts, read 475,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I would say the Northeast has the best, followed by the Midwest. The West is easily the worst.
I have no idea what types of humor people overall have in the regions except the nordeast. Anyone care to give a quick rundown on what they think for all the regions?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
It's true about using sarcasm in the northeast. I carry on hilarious conversations with certain friends that are complete sarcasm and meant to be an entire joke. It's really strange, but it's funny to watch. I don't know anyone else who does that, lol.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Northeast IMO.
A friend of mine with a heavy NY accent (from Nyack) used to crack me up with this joke:

A guy is watching TV and having a beer. The doorbell rings, and he answers it. No one is at the door, but as he is closing the door he notices a snail on the welcome mat. He kicks it off the porch and it bounces out into the yard.
Six months later, the doorbell rings. The guy answers the door, and sees the same snail on the welcome mat.
The snail says, "So what's up with that?"

I would try and tell it to friends back in Atlanta and it was completely unfunny without the NY accent.
Very interesting thread! Kudos to the OP!

Anyway, you make a very good general point, LD. It is said -- and I agree --that humor is one of the hardest things to "translate" across regional lines. As it involves accents, idiom, and an understanding of the culture itself.

Southern humor (which naturally I "get" and prefer! LOL) tends to revolve around "story telling" (ala' Jeff Foxworthy, Lewis Grizzard, Jerry Clower, etc) which reflects quite a bit the predominance of an Upland English/Scotch-Irish heritage in the region. The term "cracker" (which became a degoratory apellation in the North to apply to Southerners) is said to be traceable to the fact that this bunch were always "cracking" jokes and relating ribald stories.

I would venture to say, that one of the traits of Southern humor is that it is a bit self-effacing. We don't take ourselves too seriously. For instance, most of us have seen that old "25 Tips for Northerners Moving To the South/Texas"? Ever notice that the particulars poke a lot of fun at ourselves...?

Tips for Northerners Moving South

Anyway, just a few thoughts here. And to add that there are four things one can count on at Southern family reunions (these are of my own coinage and I take responsibility for the veracity or not ):

1. Fried chicken and fried okra.

2. The older folks trying to figure out which great-grandkid belongs to which particular branch of the family

3. Hilarious stories along the lines of the time ol' Lewis got drunk and tried to grab a bobcat, or the time when "Aint Dessie" made up a "dummy" and put it in a chair...then ran out into the cotton patch and told Uncle Troy (who was extremely near-sighted) that there was a strange man in the house...

4. We all gather around to listen to 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City