Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times

Advertisements

As I was reading the other threads about Chicago vs. X city, I came to realize that a comparison of Chicago to Seattle hadn't been made yet.

To break up the broad subject of city vs. city, I decided on the following factors:

Architecture
Liveability
Vibe
Things to do
Places to go (near and "in the region")
Beauty of City
Overall

To me this is a tough choice. I grew up in Chicago and currently live in Seattle. I love both cities. Here's how I compare them:

Architecture: Chicago hands down in my opinion. The only significant architectural piece of significance in Seattle is the Space Needle and the Experience Music Project. There's museums with interesting shapes but that's not architecture. In fact I think Seattle's gotten worse due to the fugly condo/townhome boxes that were erected in the past 10 years.

Liveability: Seattle, in my opinion. Weather is not as harsh, winter or summer. Seattle's one of the safest metro areas in the USA. And it's walkable in most neighborhoods, with each neighborhood having a different vibe. It's not quite as diverse as Chicago but you can find plenty of Asian, Indian, Native American, and old European influences here.

Vibe: Depends. If you want hard working feel with hectic surface, and a pulsing heart beneath it, Chicago. If you want laid back, with lots of energy in the summer, a more liberal feel, Seattle.

Things to do: I would rank Seattle slightly higher than Chicago, simply because in Chicago you have to travel significant distances to go where you want to. In Seattle it isn't as big of a city so you don't have to travel more than 20 min to get where you want to go, if it isn't walkable. Both cities have a vibrant music culture and art scene. Washington has awesome wine too, and good selection. The best wine outside of Europe that I've been.

Places to go: Chicago for the city, Seattle for the surrounding areas. Seattle has two mountain ranges, one within a 40 min drive. And it has Vancouver, Canada a mere 3 hour drive away. A day trip gets you to a UNESCO World Heritage Site (Hoh rainforest, I've been there, UNBELIEVEABLE natural beauty). Chicago's pretty much a lone star in a wasteland (just my opinion). A 3 hour drive gets you to ... Milwaukee ... some hills and corn in Indiana ... or college towns in IL ... and that's pretty much it.

Beauty of City: Architecturally, Chicago. For the people, awesome natural scenery backdrop, and greenery, Seattle.

Overall: Seattle.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Architecture: Chicago
Liveability: Seattle
Vibe: Tie. They each have a great vibe.
Things to do: Tie. There is lots to do in both.
Places to go (near and "in the region"): Seattle. Vancouver, Ocean, Natural Surroundings-simply gorgeous.
Beauty of City: Seattle is a beauty queen, Chicago has a beautiful waterfront tho.
Overall: Pretty even in my experience, all things considered.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 AM

322 posts, read 800,638 times
Would argue Seattle would win this. Both have bad climates in the winter/fall but Seattle is the lesser of the two evils because of the lack of any real cold/snow...just rain. Seattle has much better summers (i.e no humidity)...plus the ocean close by. Chic is located in the midwest also...that is the dealbreaker for many

Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 AM

346 posts, read 730,815 times
Hmm, Chicago is easer to get around and nice to have the public trans, but Seattle is prettier and it's nice that people are more laid back and less superficial. It's all about image in Chicago, Seattle seems open to people of all types. Also, Chicago is very frat boy/so-*****-ity girl oriented. Someone told me that before I went to Chicago, but I didn't believe them. That exists in Seattle too, obviously, but the majority of people up there make fun of those types.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Places to go: Chicago for the city, Seattle for the surrounding areas. Seattle has two mountain ranges, one within a 40 min drive. And it has Vancouver, Canada a mere 3 hour drive away. A day trip gets you to a UNESCO World Heritage Site (Hoh rainforest, I've been there, UNBELIEVEABLE natural beauty). Chicago's pretty much a lone star in a wasteland (just my opinion). A 3 hour drive gets you to ... Milwaukee ... some hills and corn in Indiana ... or college towns in IL ... and that's pretty much it.
What about the west coast of Michigan? Many of Michigan's best Beaches are on the west coast which is not that long of a drive from Chicago With the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes (Dunebuggy, fourwheel it up) and I think there is another big sand dune in Indiana. All the lighthouses a long Lake Michigan, Michigan's Adventure Amusement Park, Scuba diving the many ship wrecks on the bottom of Lake Michigan (The Fresh water perseveres the ship, while out in the ocean a wreck is destroyed by the salt content), Tulip Festival in Holland, Michigan.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
What about the west coast of Michigan? Many of Michigan's best Beaches are on the west coast which is not that long of a drive from Chicago With the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes (Dunebuggy, fourwheel it up) and I think there is another big sand dune in Indiana. All the lighthouses a long Lake Michigan, Michigan's Adventure Amusement Park, Scuba diving the many ship wrecks on the bottom of Lake Michigan (The Fresh water perseveres the ship, while out in the ocean a wreck is destroyed by the salt content), Tulip Festival in Holland, Michigan.
I remember some of those sand dunes. They are fun

It may be the whole "I grew up with it and thus it isn't special" thing. I just visited there about a million times so I didn't even mention it ... but you do bring up good points.

I actually hadn't ever done the scuba diving in Lake Michigan. I should next time I'm back home in Chicago.

There is a tulip festival out here too LOL.

But the amusement park wasn't much, really.

On the whole there is more diversity of stuff to do on a 3 hour drive from Seattle than Chicago. That's not to say there's plenty of stuff to do, but as a person who lived most his life in Chicagoland, I prefer Seattle.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 AM

322 posts, read 800,638 times
Seattle has won, please lock this mods...

Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
This thread has been done already...Seattle is a smaller city than Chicago, so its not really a fair comparison for both cities.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:26 PM

28 posts, read 85,316 times
My background: grew up in WI, visited Chicago fairly often, currently live in Seattle.

Architecture-- Chicago. Cause its got the Victorian houses, Gothic churches, etc which are almost totally lacking in Seattle's modernity.

Liveability-- Tough call. Seattle is safer, probably slightly less expensive, but has a poor transit system, terrible to navigate layout. Getting in from the suburbs is a nightmare. Chicago has a great transit system and super easy to navigate, can find some affordable housing if you are willing to risk dodgier neighborhoods, but I feel like I have to watch my back more there in general. Seattle has much cleaner air when it is clear, but the clouds can trap in pollution when its overcast, which it often is!

Weather-- I'll take Chicago, but Seattle has its merits: mild temperatures, AMAZING when it is warmer and clearer, etc, but I love the midwestern cycle of 4 seasons, thunderstorms, etc.

Vibe--generally Seattle is better, with a few caveats (downtown--ick) Chicago has a "harder" feel while Seattle has an upscale, trendy feel.

Chicago has more of an aged, historical feel, while Seattle isn't as far from nature.

"Park" in Seattle can sometimes mean virtually untouched land, which is great.

Seattle has some really great pocket neighborhoods, if you can get to them and afford them. Chicago often has little to no lines between the diamonds and the rough.

Things to do--tough call again, but I would say typically Seattle has a more intelligent, hip culture, but Chicago is so big you can find whatever you are looking for.

Places to go (near and "in the region")-- Seattle because of the mountains, islands and so forth.

Beauty of City-- Seattle has the beautiful natural scenery and the best gardens I have seen, but Chicago has better architecture and a certain historical appeal.

Overall--both have great economies, both are too expensive for my preferences, both are very international. my personal bias to be close to family in WI, etc aside, I prefer Seattle.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
This topic already has been done here: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-chicago.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City