Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy vs. Nashville
Indianapolis 40 35.09%
Nashville 74 64.91%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:57 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Indianapolis may be the HQ of the NCAA, but Nashville actually has more NCAA schools than Indianapolis. There's more collegiate sports taking place in Nashville than in Indianapolis on a weekly basis, particularly at the Division I level.

Indianapolis NCAA schools:
Butler University (Division I)
Franklin College (Division III)
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (Division I)
University of Indianapolis (Division II)

Nashville NCAA schools:
Belmont University (Division I)
Lipscomb University (Division I)
Middle Tennessee State University (Division I)
Tennessee State University (Division I)
Trevecca Nazarene University (Division II)
Vanderbilt University (Division I)

Incorrect about the draft being held in NYC since 1965. The last NFL Draft in NYC was in 2014. It was then held in Chicago in 2015 and 2016, then Philadelphia, then Dallas, then Nashville where it set record attendance (more than double the previous record from Philadelphia). Announced future NFL Draft host cities are Las Vegas, Cleveland, and Kansas City.
Three things:

1) MTSU is 45-60 minutes by car from downtown Nashvile. You might as well include Indiana University, Purdue University, and Ball State for Indy if you're reaching that far.

2) Indy is going to bid for the draft at some point. We hosted the super bowl and got rave reviews, so I am sure the NFL will come back at some point. Has Nashville hosted the Super Bowl? That's a rhetorical question.

3) You generally know a thread has run its course when division 2 arenas are being brought into the discussion.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 07-17-2019 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-17-2019, 08:11 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
[quote=Toxic Toast;55691910]Two things:

Quote:
1) MTSU is 45-60 minutes by car from downtown Nashvile. You might as well include Indiana University, Purdue University, and Ball State for Indy if you're reaching that far.
No it's not. It is 30-35 minutes during regular non-peak hours. Murfreesboro is a principle city in the Nashville metro area.

Quote:
2) Indy is going to bid for the draft at some point. We hosted the super bowl and got rave reviews, so I am sure the NFL will come back at some point. Has Nashville hosted the Super Bowl? That's a rhetorical question.
Nashville does not have a stadium to accommodate the Super Bowl.

Quote:
3) You generally know a thread has run its course when division 2 arenas are being brought into the discussion.
Or a city comes in last.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Or a city comes in last.
Bless your heart. More does not equal better.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Three things:

The atmosphere around the NFL draft almost felt like the super bowl. You should have seen it and felt the energy. I have no doubt the superbowl will come to Nashville and be a big hit one day. The only thing stopping it is the lack of a superbowl caliber stadium. If the Titans build a new stadium one day the superbowl will follow within 5 years..

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 07-17-2019 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-17-2019, 08:53 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
The two are very similar on paper, but from experience in each, it's Nashville by a good margin for me (and apparently a good percentage of the respondents to this thread).

Nashville is more aesthetically pleasing as a whole, though I would say Indy's downtown area is prettier as far as the built environment goes. But Nashville is more lively and vibrant with a more unique (or at least, more obvious) local culture. I'm a sports fan, and I'd probably give the edge to Indy there, but that doesn't way nearly enough to have much of an impact on the big picture. As a visitor, Nashville is without the better city. As a place to live, it's probably a bit closer (I'm not qualified to weigh in as I've lived in neither).

Old 07-17-2019, 08:54 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
There is zero chance Nashville can support four pro sports teams, especially adding MLB. It's simply not big enough. MLB is struggling with declining attendance anyways.

I have to give Nashville credit for the "can do" attitude. It really and truly thinks its one of the country's biggest and most important cities, even though it isn't.

Nashville and Indy are very comparable in mostly every way. Nashville is far superior IMO in culture, neighborhoods, food, music, most things but basketball.
Yeah I forgot to mention that the MLB isn’t doing so hot anyway. It could potentially be a financial disaster for the city since the idiotic model of cities building stadiums for privately owned ball clubs model is firmly in place.
Baseball is my favorite sport but I wouldn’t wish an expansion team on anyone.

That second paragraph sums up Nashville. Been there more times than I can count recently and I still don’t see the big deal. Poorly built environment, scatter-brained layout. Stretches on needlessly forever across middle Tennessee.

Last edited by sub; 07-17-2019 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Avoiding double standards.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:26 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,455,407 times
Indy. Nashville, like every other sunbelt city, in no way interests me.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Three things:

OK, let's stick to Division I schools located within the city limits. Nashville still comes out on top with 4 division 1 schools (Belmont, Lipscomb, Tennessee State, Vanderbilt) while Indianapolis has 2 (Butler and IUPUI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Yeah I forgot to mention that the MLB isn’t doing so hot anyway. It could potentially be a financial disaster for the city since the idiotic model of cities building stadiums for privately owned ball clubs model is firmly in place.
Baseball is my favorite sport but I wouldn’t wish an expansion team on anyone.
You'll be relieved to know that "Nashville" isn't trying to bring the MLB to town; when MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred mentioned Nashville as a possible expansion team a year ago, it caught the city totally by surprise. The people trying to bring MLB to Nashville (like Tony La Russa and Alberto Gonzales) are not from Nashville (although Gonzales now lives in Nashville), and they say they have a way to do it and build a downtown stadium without using city funds. I still don't think it'll happen, but those guys are a lot smarter and a lot richer than I am, and they they know a lot more about this than I do.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Indy. Nashville, like every other sunbelt city, in no way interests me.
Tired and inaccurate argument...

Old 07-17-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
OK, let's stick to Division I schools located within the city limits. Nashville still comes out on top with 4 division 1 schools (Belmont, Lipscomb, Tennessee State, Vanderbilt) while Indianapolis has 2 (Butler and IUPUI).
IUPUI is close to triple the size of any of those schools in Nashville in terms of enrollment. In fact, IUPUI and Butler combined have slighlty higher enrollment than the 4 in Nashville combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City