Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah but geographically Maryland is the northern south. Even if you forget the Mason-Dixon line and you draw a horizontal line through the middle of the country Maryland would be on the southern edge of the line. Most people have ideas about what the south and the north is but usually I just look at the geography. Nobody considers California the south but geographically it's very southern. Since California is next to Mexico it's definitely in the south. So even though CA isn't the south politically geographically it is.
I have no idea where you are drawing that line, but Maryland is not below it. At minimal it is right on it, at most, its above it. Besides, how you draw it is everything, you could've deliberately chosen where you thought it was, you could've optically mistaken the center...geography is the last thing I ever use, especially since culture, weather, and many other characteristics do not coincide with it. The southern edge of Pennsylvania is far from being anywhere near the dividing line of the country...it's way too far north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
If that's they way you want to see it then that's the way you'll see it...but it's not reality. You just tried to make it fit your opinion.
I'm pretty interested now too...you say there's several similarities between Annapolis and Boston. You say to "look them up", but if they're so obvious, why don't you just quickly tell us and save us the time?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Northeastern Maryland...and around Baltimore and D.C. Those areas are all more like southern Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey.
I'm not going through this again, but no they aren't. You just want them to be. Far North and Western Maryland are the only places like Southern PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm pretty interested now too...you say there's several similarities between Annapolis and Boston. You say to "look them up", but if they're so obvious, why don't you just quickly tell us and save us the time?
Because aside from what I mentioned, there aren't any.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I have no idea where you are drawing that line, but Maryland is not below it. At minimal it is right on it, at most, its above it. Besides, how you draw it is everything, you could've deliberately chosen where you thought it was, you could've optically mistaken the center...geography is the last thing I ever use, especially since culture, weather, and many other characteristics do not coincide with it. The southern edge of Pennsylvania is far from being anywhere near the dividing line of the country...it's way too far north.
I'm drawing the line right through the middle of the U.S. going from east to west. The Mason-Dixon line is correct. If you look at the southern part of Texas (the gulf coast) and you look at the North Dakota/Canada border and you draw a line exactly half way between the two the line will be almost on top of the Kansas/Nebraska border. It will be on top of the MD/PA border. So geographically and politically the Mason-Dixon line was perfect. So again since MD is south of that line geographically MD is a southern state. Kansas is a southern state. Nebraska is a northern state.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
So basically, there aren't any similarities.

You can claim something as fact, then say "figure it out for yourself" when asked about it. It looks like you were just saying something with the hope that no one would call you out on it. You've made a claim, now prove it.
Boston is north of the dividing line. MA is a northern state politically and geographically.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Southern Baptist Convention statistics
Magnet or Sticky? - Pew Research Center

I'd say Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi are fairly "Deep South." Sizeable percent of Southern Baptists and not that much of a draw for emigrants. South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia are "Old South" as they were in the thirteen colonies. States like Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas and maybe West Virginia are "Mountain South." Mountain South is more Scottish or Ulster influenced and tended to have a greater element of Unionists.

Oklahoma is kind of an anomaly. It was Indian Territory until the 1890s. It's in a way a "Southern colony" as it has a strong element of Southern religious or cultural traditions. Still it's possibly Southwestern.

I mostly think of Texas as Southwestern. It was in the Confederacy, but its history really doesn't connect all that well to the South. It has a strong and long-lasting Hispanic element. As well as a kind of Western aspect. Although the Eastern part is maybe Southern.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Southern Baptist Convention statistics
Magnet or Sticky? - Pew Research Center

I'd say Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi are fairly "Deep South." Sizeable percent of Southern Baptists and not that much of a draw for emigrants. South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia are "Old South" as they were in the thirteen colonies. States like Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas and maybe West Virginia are "Mountain South." Mountain South is more Scottish or Ulster influenced and tended to have a greater element of Unionists.

Oklahoma is kind of an anomaly. It was Indian Territory until the 1890s. It's in a way a "Southern colony" as it has a strong element of Southern religious or cultural traditions. Still it's possibly Southwestern.

I mostly think of Texas as Southwestern. It was in the Confederacy, but its history really doesn't connect all that well to the South. It has a strong and long-lasting Hispanic element. As well as a kind of Western aspect. Although the Eastern part is maybe Southern.
Yeah Texas is so big it's hard to classify. Western Texas like Big Bend definitely looks like the west. East Texas like the piney woods and also central Texas look like the east. There are a lot of trees and it's nice and green. In east Texas you see Confederate flags which is definitely southern.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:26 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
I'm drawing the line right through the middle of the U.S. going from east to west. The Mason-Dixon line is correct. If you look at the southern part of Texas (the gulf coast) and you look at the North Dakota/Canada border and you draw a line exactly half way between the two the line will be almost on top of the Kansas/Nebraska border. It will be on top of the MD/PA border. So geographically and politically the Mason-Dixon line was perfect. So again since MD is south of that line geographically MD is a southern state. Kansas is a southern state. Nebraska is a northern state.
Kansas has never ever ever ever been a Southern State.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I'm not going through this again, but no they aren't. You just want them to be. Far North and Western Maryland are the only places like Southern PA.
You left out the parts near Philadelphia, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. Maryland is a f***ing small state. As far as me wanting them to be, you've got some nerve assuming that I want them to be. It sounds like you want it not to be true more than anything else. Maryland and Delaware are Mid-Atlantic states today. They historically leaned Southern, but that changed about 150 years ago. Northern Virginia is about as Southern as these places feel. Explain how they are not similar today. Politically, both states are blue. Southeastern Pennsylvania and Eastern Maryland (west of the Eastern shore) are not that different in feeling at all. And even if they were, they are less than 60 miles apart (I don't count the I-95 corridor because it curves and doesn't go straight from Baltimore to Philadelphia). The areas surrounding Maryland are very limited in terms of Southern culture. Northern Virginia has at most "Southern influences" today. Delaware isn't Southern, neither is Pennsylvania or the part of West Virginia that is on the same latitude as Maryland. Give it up and start admitting the truth...your logic makes zero sense. As far as you telling me I don't know what I'm talking about...I've been to Maryland many times...it feels far more Mid-Atlantic than Southern.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The Mason-Dixon line is NOT correct. The line I drew roughly follows U.S. Highway 50, as I get further west it moves farther north because the Mexican border also does while the Canadian border stays roughly the same latitude...and in any case...GEOGRAPHIC DIVISION DOESN'T MAKE A STATE SOUTHERN, IF YOU THINK THAT, you need to realize it's a mere factor at best. Besides, the distance between the northernmost point and southernmost point varies WIDELY as you go from east to west, and from latitude to latitude. The line you are drawing not only is too far north in most cases, it's also not the logical way to define the South...the South doesn't go all the way to California, and Southern culture and dialect doesn't extend as far north as that line pretty much anywhere. It is an outdated definition...and the Mason-Dixon line was never stretched beyond the Maryland Pennsylvania border. If you think a straight line across the country represents accurate regional division, you are mistaken. Kansas is NOT a Southern state...never has been, never will be. Missouri is not a Southern state either. Neither is Maryland. Kansas, Missouri, Maryland, and Delaware have at best Southern influences today. You need to look at other factors besides a straight line from east to west...and politics. But you apparantly think you're right, so hope you sleep well in the illusion that you are. I also seriously doubt you took into consideration latitudes, longitudes, curvature of the earth, etc...a flat map doesn't tell you anything, or did you not know that? You made an educated guess at best. The Mason-Dixon line is too far north in most cases as far as geographic division goes.

Last edited by ajf131; 07-01-2009 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City