Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
But the quote in the OP sad Sydney was the better "brand". If that were the case, people would exploit the brand name of Sydney, but they don't. Same for L.A. over San Francisco. The more popular brands are going to naturally have more complaints because there is more discussion about them because they're more popular and well-known and therefore more valuable brands.

I hear more complaints about McDonald's than In-N-Out Burger, but McDonald's is clearly the more valuable "brand". Even though their burgers aren't as good.
Well, this is about perception and having traveled the world, I can assure you that Sydney and San Francisco are very well known cities. From The depths of Africa to Siberia, people generally know something about SF. Usually something positive.

Also, now that I think about it, Sydney's Opera House and the Golden Gate Bridge are up there with the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty as world famous icons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, this is about perception and having traveled the world, I can assure you that Sydney and San Francisco are very well known cities. From The depths of Africa to Siberia, people generally know something about SF. Usually something positive.

Also, now that I think about it, Sydney's Opera House and the Golden Gate Bridge are up there with the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty as world famous icons.
Again, you're getting away from the fact that this is about the cities' "brand". The Sydney "brand" is not as popular or widely used as NY or L.A., and neither is San Francisco.

I never said that Sydney and San Francisco aren't very well known cities. I know that they are. But they're not "brands" that are as popular as NY or L.A.

Do a business search for any city and you'll find that many businesses use "New York" for their "brand", but almost none use "Sydney". New York Hair, New York Nails, New York Dentistry, New York Xpress Clothing...these are just a few businesses I found listed for London, UK. But nothing for Sydney except "Sydney House", which isn't even clearly named for the city but could be someone's name.

L.A. brought up L.A. Limousine and L.A. Fitness as a couple businesses in London. San Francisco didn't even come up.

Face it - NY and L.A. are internationally know to be two of the best "brands" which is why people ACTUALLY USE them in naming their businesses. L.A. has an image of Hollywood and glamour so you'll find L.A. limousines and fitness and tanning. NY has an image of being a fashion and arts and economic and culinary center, so you'll find NY Pizza, NY Fashions, NY Hair, etc. all over.

San Francisco and Sydney aren't really so strongly identified with anything that they're used often or at all as "brands". That's not saying they're not known internationally, that's just saying that as "brands" they're very obviously not as valuable as NY or L.A.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 AM

322 posts, read 800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
This thread is just another shameless opportunity for 18Montclair to remind everybody that the San Francisco Bay Area is superior to all other regions and how we should be envious of those fortunate enough to live there. Does that about sum it up?

lol...thats the Chic/Milwa/Midwest jealousy of SF coming into play again...

we know Chic is a "bigger city but in the U.S it is #3 or 4 along with DC

Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Again, you're getting away from the fact that this is about the cities' "brand".
Again, you're getting away from the fact that this is about what 'cities brand' means. It revolves around how cities are viewed and the perception people have of them. Their reputation.

Sydney is seen in a more favorable light than New York-such is life.

Quote:
I never said that Sydney and San Francisco aren't very well known cities. I know that they are. But they're not "brands" that are as popular as NY or L.A.
Apparently they are.

Have you ever been to Europe? Tell them youre from the SF Bay Area and you almost always get a positive response. Apparently many people have left their hearts there.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
This is just another popularity contest just like some other polls out there. However, at the end of the day, you're still a beta city.

I am not too surprised about the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
lol...thats the Chic/Milwa/Midwest jealousy of SF coming into play again...

we know Chic is a "bigger city but in the U.S it is #3 or 4 along with DC

Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But only one of those icons averages 1 suicide attempt every 2 weeks

Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM

322 posts, read 800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
But only one of those icons averages 1 suicide attempt every 2 weeks
and that's suppose to make it less of an icon in what way?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
and that's suppose to make it less of an icon in what way?

I believe that actually makes it more iconic. If people are opting to have their last moment in life there that often, that can only mean that they consider it symbolic.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Anyways that list is a joke. I mean come on sydney? lol. Being over ny and la

Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Anyways that list is a joke. I mean come on sydney? lol. Being over ny and la
Sometimes we Americans can be so arrogant.

There is an entire world out there that doesnt revolve around us nearly as much as we'd like to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City