Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 PM

36,667 posts, read 67,617,460 times

Advertisements

The Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index

Criteria measured

Presence-Based on the city's international status and standing and the global familiarity/knowledge of the city. It also measures the city's global contribution in science, culture and governance.

Place-Exploring people's perceptions about the physical aspect of each city in terms of pleasantness of climate, cleanliness of environment and how attractive its buildings and parks are.

Prerequisites- Determines how people perceive the basic qualities of the city; whether they are satisfactory, affordable and accommodating, as well as the standard of public amenities such as schools, hospitals, transportation and sports facilities.

People-Reveals whether the inhabitants of the city are perceived as warm and welcoming, whether respondents think it would be easy for them to find and fit into a community that shares their language and culture and whether they would feel safe.

Pulse-Measures the perception that there are interesting things to fill free time with and how exciting the city is perceived to be in regard to new things to discover.

Potential-Measures the perception of economic and educational opportunities within the city, such as how easy it might be to find a job, whether it's a good place to do business or pursue a higher education.

Quote:
In a global city image study conducted by GFK roper Public Affairs & Media, Paris was named the top overall city "brand." The report, the 2009 Anholt-GFK Roper City Brands Index, seeks to capture the perception and reputation of 50 major cities worldwide.

The top 10 cities from the survey are:

1. Paris
2. Sydney
London
4. Rome
5. New York
Barcelona
7. San Francisco
8. Los Angeles
9. Vienna

10. Madrid

"The index measures the world's perception of each city, which influences people's choices on where to live, work and vacation," says Simon Anholt, founder of City Brands Index.
Those polled in the survey are asked to rate their agreement with statements about 50 cities. The rankings are divided into six categories: Presence (knowledge of city), Place (cleanliness and aesthetic quality), Pre-requisites (affordable accommodations), People (friendliness, cultural diversity), Pulse (interesting events, activities and lifestyles) and Potential (perception as a good place to do business, find a job and go to school).
Paris Is Named Number One Brand City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,251,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index

Criteria measured

Presence-Based on the city's international status and standing and the global familiarity/knowledge of the city. It also measures the city's global contribution in science, culture and governance.

Place-Exploring people's perceptions about the physical aspect of each city in terms of pleasantness of climate, cleanliness of environment and how attractive its buildings and parks are.

Prerequisites- Determines how people perceive the basic qualities of the city; whether they are satisfactory, affordable and accommodating, as well as the standard of public amenities such as schools, hospitals, transportation and sports facilities.

People-Reveals whether the inhabitants of the city are perceived as warm and welcoming, whether respondents think it would be easy for them to find and fit into a community that shares their language and culture and whether they would feel safe.

Pulse-Measures the perception that there are interesting things to fill free time with and how exciting the city is perceived to be in regard to new things to discover.

Potential-Measures the perception of economic and educational opportunities within the city, such as how easy it might be to find a job, whether it's a good place to do business or pursue a higher education.

Paris Is Named Number One Brand City
I honestly don't think Sydney is as popular as these list make it. You just don't hear much about it down here in TX. Maybe elsewhere you do.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,152,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I honestly don't think Sydney is as popular as these list make it. You just don't hear much about it down here in TX. Maybe elsewhere you do.
I think it's quite popular, in quite a few magazine surveys I have read. While many may not have visited, the Australian cities, particularly Sydney, are some of the most sought after tourist destinations. Not that skyline means much of anything, but Sydney's is recognizable in my opinion, mostly because of the beautiful opera house. Also, many schools have study abroad programs in Sydney and the "Land Down Under." Maybe they don't talk about it in Waco?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,251,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I think it's quite popular, in quite a few magazine surveys I have read. While many may not have visited, the Australian cities, particularly Sydney, are some of the most sought after tourist destinations. Not that skyline means much of anything, but it is one of the few that is recognizable in my opinion, mostly because of the beautiful opera house. Also, many schools have study abroad programs in Sydney and the "Land Down Under." Maybe they don't talk about it in Waco?
Nope.....we learned the same crap every year lol

I just don't see it being more popular than Rome or London, maybe even NYC.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:28 PM

37,245 posts, read 39,529,579 times
South Asia, Southeast Asia, East Asia, and South Africa get a lot of exposure to Sydney through expat communities (from all sides) and vacations. Even so, I reckon their methodology lead to something screwy.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,082,326 times
This thread is just another shameless opportunity for 18Montclair to remind everybody that the San Francisco Bay Area is superior to all other regions and how we should be envious of those fortunate enough to live there. Does that about sum it up?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,113,495 times
I wonder who the survey respondents were...was it a requirement to have actually gone to a city in order to rank it? I mean, how do you comment on how easy it is to find a job in a city you've never been in before?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,275,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I think it's quite popular, in quite a few magazine surveys I have read. While many may not have visited, the Australian cities, particularly Sydney, are some of the most sought after tourist destinations. Not that skyline means much of anything, but Sydney's is recognizable in my opinion, mostly because of the beautiful opera house. Also, many schools have study abroad programs in Sydney and the "Land Down Under." Maybe they don't talk about it in Waco?
As soon as I saw Sydney I pretty much stopped looking at the rest of the list. As you say yourself "while many may not have visited" should be a sign that something is wrong with the methodology of this list. Maybe that people see the Australian cities as clean cut utopias and do not know the flaws like they know the better known cities have?

Last edited by LINative; 06-17-2009 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,207,298 times
I don't exactly get why it's so inconceivable that Sydney is a well known city just because the all mighty all knowing Americans don't think it is. Sydney is a premiere world destination for immigrants from all over. It's not no 1 material, but it wouldn't shock me to be somewhere on this list.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,275,539 times
Talking See you at the Opera House!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I don't exactly get why it's so inconceivable that Sydney is a well known city just because the all mighty all knowing Americans don't think it is. Sydney is a premiere world destination for immigrants from all over. It's not no 1 material, but it wouldn't shock me to be somewhere on this list.
Its not #1 material but is it #2? Ok I will go to London on my next vacation whilst you enjoy yourself in Sydney --- at the Opera House! Btw lots of American cities have large immigrant populations so I do not think that should be a reason for its high rating. Frankly if I fly all the way over the Pacific, I rather go to Hong Kong or Tokyo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City