Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Yellow 49 29.34%
Green 28 16.77%
Blue 32 19.16%
Red 58 34.73%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times

Advertisements

Based on the regions given, regardless of whether you agree with the map:
1. Which would you rather live in (poll question)
2. Which do you think has the most to offer
3. Which one do you think is the most important globally

Yellow Region
California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico
Total :: 53 million / 566,000 sq mi

Green Region
Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri
Total :: 58 million / 623,000 sq mi

Blue Region
Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida
Total :: 65 million / 542,000 sq mi

Red Region
Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina
Total :: 88 million / 350,000 sq mi

p.s. My apologies for leaving out some states.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Region Would You Pick?-myregions.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Red for the win!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:52 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
If this being divided by costal regions, how is Georgia part of the blue "Gulf States" when it's only coast is on the Atlantic?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:52 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Red for the win!
Uh no, blue!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Based on the regions given, regardless of whether you agree with the map:
1. Which would you rather live in (poll question)
2. Which do you think has the most to offer
3. Which one do you think is the most important globally

Yellow Region
California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico
Total :: 53 million / 566,000 sq mi

Green Region
Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri
Total :: 58 million / 623,000 sq mi

Blue Region
Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida
Total :: 65 million / 542,000 sq mi

Red Region
Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina
Total :: 88 million / 350,000 sq mi

p.s. My apologies for leaving out some states but I was mostly going for Atlantic -vs- Gulf -vs- Pacific -vs- Great Lakes with some changes to try and balance things.
1. Which would you rather live in (poll question): I like the Northeast, in the aspect that I have lived in Midwest and South and want to try something new, and spent a considerable amount of time in the west.
2. Which do you think has the most to offer: I would say Midwest, your dollar stretches a lot further here then the Northeast and West, and of course, it's got Chicago, big city = big city amenities, IMHO.
3. Which one do you think is the most important globally: Trade wise? Or in general?
Trade wise it's shifting to the Pacific and Gulf, with Asia and Latin America and slowing down with Europe in the Atlantic.
Generally- The Atlantic is more important, financial center of the world.

With that being said, I am going with Red region, simply because of the above statement. ^

Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If this being divided by costal regions, how is Georgia part of the blue "Gulf States" when it's only coast is on the Atlantic?
As I said don't focus on how I broke it up. No maps are perfect. A few of those states don't touch any water. A few of those states touch more than one body of water. The map was broken up, just answer the questions.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

And honestly I think most people would think of Florida as an Atlantic,- the gulf is the afterthought body of water

But GA - Yes it's only coast is on the Atlantic

Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And honestly I think most people would think of Florida as an Atlantic,- the gulf is the afterthought body of water

But GA - Yes it's only coast is on the Atlantic
True, but Miami sits at the point where it's in the crossroads of both Gulf and Atlantic.

Then there's the catastrophes people associate Hurricane season with Florida, mostly the Gulf. Then there's also Tampa on the Gulf. The real cities on the Atlantic side are Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale.

I think Florida gets more view for hurricane season in it's gulf though.

Especially because Tampa and Miami operate large shipping ports with the Gulf countries/Caribbean Islands.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
True, but Miami sits at the point where it's in the crossroads of both Gulf and Atlantic.

Then there's the catastrophes people associate Hurricane season with Florida, mostly the Gulf. Then there's also Tampa on the Gulf. The real cities on the Atlantic side are Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale.

I think Florida gets more view for hurricane season in it's gulf though.

Especially because Tampa and Miami operate large shipping ports with the Gulf countries/Caribbean Islands.
No Miami is absolutely on the Atlantic

Opening line of Wiki Miami description:

"Miami (pronounced /maɪˈæmi/ or /maɪˈæmə/) is a major city located on the Atlantic coast in southeastern "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami

and for Florida the most damaging Hurricanes have been on the Atlantic Coast historically and actually is a higher threat area than the Gulf coast - west of Florida is higher threat in the Gulf

Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Which would I rather live in: Hard between green and blue but I went green. Lots of good cities with their own character but a bit closer together than blue so its easier to travel between them. Like trains that actually operate somewhat between Chicago and Detroit for example.

Which do I think has the most to offer: Really difficult here. I'd have to give this one to the Blue, but not one of the regions stands out in my opinion for this.

Which do I think has the most global importance: Good point OmShahi that I could've specified between Trade and General. I didn't though. Its tough especially when you do consider Trade but I'd have to give this to Red between the academics at Boston, the politics at D.C., and the financial district of NYC it would probably come out on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City