Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Yellow 49 29.34%
Green 28 16.77%
Blue 32 19.16%
Red 58 34.73%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:23 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times

Advertisements

Florida is most certainly on both coasts and I don't think you can associate it with either one more than the other. The Florida keys stretch into the gulf. Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota/Ft. Myers/The Panhandle are all considered gulf. We were affected by the oil spill just like the rest of the gulf.

But I made the decision, when you waste an afternoon making a post like this you can decide how to break it up. :P Answer the damn questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 01:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Florida is most certainly on both coasts and I don't think you can associate it with either one more than the other. The Florida keys stretch into the gulf. Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota/Ft. Myers/The Panhandle are all considered gulf. We were affected by the oil spill just like the rest of the gulf.

But I made the decision, when you waste an afternoon making a post like this you can decide how to break it up. :P Answer the damn questions.

Red - Honestly on all your criteria

Old 05-15-2010, 01:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Gulf....

Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
True, but Miami sits at the point where it's in the crossroads of both Gulf and Atlantic.

Then there's the catastrophes people associate Hurricane season with Florida, mostly the Gulf. Then there's also Tampa on the Gulf. The real cities on the Atlantic side are Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale.

I think Florida gets more view for hurricane season in it's gulf though.

Especially because Tampa and Miami operate large shipping ports with the Gulf countries/Caribbean Islands.

Hurrican Threat map - Atlantic oast is higher threat incidence

Even Cape Hatteras NC is of higher than the majority of the gulf - now the gulf dues to warm and not as deep waters can create monsters but there are far more Atlantic Coast Hurricane strikes than Gulf ones

For Florida look at what happened to Homestead FL (outside of Miami) a few years back - believe it was the most dmaging in Florida history

link below:
Natural Disaster Threat Maps

Old 05-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Oh and for those of you questioning Georgia I could easily change Georgia to be technically more accurate but I'd have to put NY and PA in the Green since they have longer coast lines on the great lakes than on the atlantic. Pennsylvania doesn't even touch the Atlantic yet nobody is complaining on those

Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
MO, IA, KY are not on the Great Lakes.

NV, NM, AZ are not on the Pacific Ocean.

WV, PA, VT are not on the Atlantic Ocean.

GA is not on the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Oh and for those of you questioning Georgia I could easily change Georgia to be technically more accurate but I'd have to put NY and PA in the Green since they have longer coast lines on the great lakes than on the atlantic. Pennsylvania doesn't even touch the Atlantic yet nobody is complaining on those
That is correct! Though the Salt water line of Bay does reside just above the state line so technically it does touch salt water

PA is actually the only Mid Atlantic State that does not touch the ocean - very close (less than 40 miles) but does not - technically PA is not a coastal State

But honestly on all your selections even from a regional perspective I believe GA (definately Southern and Definatley a Sunbelt city) is not considered a gulf coast state but we are nit-picking and GA is probably not going to the state to put either region over the top - nothing against GA - a great state none-the-less

Old 05-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
MO, IA, KY are not on the Great Lakes.

NV, NM, AZ are not on the Pacific Ocean.

WV, PA, VT are not on the Atlantic Ocean.

GA is not on the Gulf of Mexico.
Give this man a prize he can read a map! Now answer the damn question.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:33 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Give this man a prize he can read a map! Now answer the damn question.
The question is flawed.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:38 PM

No the title is flawed the question is not flawed. If you read what I wrote instead of reading the thread title and then immediately commenting you'd see nowhere in the question does it say anything about the coasts. I'll try to get a moderator to rename the thread Another Regional Showdown or something but the question itself isn't flawed at all. In fact I state not to worry about the map because no regional maps are perfect.

And here: great lakes states - Google Search

See how there are many different maps that show up under Great Lakes Maps. Thats because its a regional thing not just a coastline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City