Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Denver 29 59.18%
Calgary 20 40.82%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
There is also no excuse for Denver not to have a proper urban Chinatown (or "Asiatown") downtown. Percentage-wise I'm sure it has less Asians than Calgary, but it terms of raw numbers I bet metro Denver has far more Asians than metro Calgary. As of the 2006 census, metro Calgary had just 119,205 people of either Chinese, Filipino, Southeast Asian, Korean, or Japanese descent. ( 2006 Community Profiles - Census Metropolitan Area/Census Agglomeration ). Yet Calgary has a sizeable, urban, downtown Chinatown.

Does anyone have the Asian numbers for metro Denver? I bet they're higher than that. Yet no downtown Chinatown. What gives? You can't use the smaller Asian population excuse if there are more Asians no can you?
Um yes you can use the smaler asian populations...that means asians havent the historical ties that cities like SF, Vancouver etc do.

How come Milwaukee hasnt an chinatown? Jeez I could name so many large cities that dont yet this is so irrelvent and boring might I add. More red herrings from a stuck goose!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 PM

330 posts, read 681,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Um yes you can use the smaler asian populations

My argument was that in raw numbers metro Denver probably has MORE Asians than Calgary. So there is no excuse not to have a Chinatown.

Actually, I just looked up "Asians in Denver", and it turns out Denver did have an Chinatown in what is now LoDo. They just knocked it down for warehouses and other junk that adds nothing to the cultural diversity of a city. Just like Detroit - they once had a Chinatown and knocked it down to build a freeway.

Denver- the Detroit of the West.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-10-2009 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
FYI, "what's your point" isnt much of a come back. It just shows you're at a loss of words. Especially when you flat out deny that the very city you claim has no world recognition not only had an Olympic bid 30 years ago but is also several notches above your city in its world city ranking.

Also, enough of the red herrings.
Calgary isn't "my city". I've already made that clear. It's just a city I've been to many times (I have a lot of relatives there).

And the Olympics don't mean people have heard of a city. Outside the Olympics you think most people know of Salt Lake City? Even AFTER hosting the Olympics most people around the world have never heard of it.

As for as the "world city" ranking, they are both Gamma cities. Which means they are both insignificant in the areas it measures (which are mainly business-related). If Denver were a Beta city and Calgary were a Gamma city, you would have an argument that Denver is more important. But they are both Beta, so they are both equally unimportant. So why do you keep bringing that up?

What matters is how is the place to live. Calgary is Mercer's 25th best city in the world to live for 2008. Denver doesn't crack the top 50.

Case closed. End of story.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-10-2009 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Calgary isn't "my city" you moron. I've already made that clear. It's just a city I've been to many times (I have a lot of relatives there).

And the Olympics don't mean people have heard of a city. Outside the Olympics you think most people know of Salt Lake City? Even AFTER hosting the Olympics most people around the world have never heard of it.

As for as the "world city" ranking, they are both Gamma cities. Which means they are both insignificant in the areas it measures (which are mainly business-related). If Denver were a Beta city and Calgary were a Gamma city, you would have an argument that Denver is more important. But they are both Beta, so they are both equally unimportant. So why do you keep bringing that up?

What matters is how is the place to live. Calgary is Mercer's 25th best city in the world to live for 2008. Denver doesn't crack the top 50.

Case closed. End of story.
Calgary isn't your city? Well that's obvious. I thinking you're from Milwaukee....

I had another troll from Milwaukee complain about why Denver dosent have a china town. And at the time I thought what an absurd question - obviously the geography and/or history doesnt support it.

Any person from Calgary or who knows about it would have known that its not land locked like you suggested - its 600 miles from Vancouver - a notorious asian city on the pacific coast....

Why does Denver have lots of Latinos? Well Colorado borders New mexico and pretty much Texas. Alberta Canada borders BC. And being the two big cities in their region they would tend to share demographics - Asians...

The point of bringing up the gamma city thing is to show how asinine of a comment you made when you claimed that Denver is hardly known by people outside the U.S. But for some reason you havent connected this yet.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
You seem to have a terrible problem with reading comprehension. With your poor math skills I'm not surprised. I guess you're just all-round stupid.

My argument was that in raw numbers metro Denver probably has MORE Asians than Calgary. So there is no excuse not to have a Chinatown.

Actually, I just looked up "Asians in Denver", and it turns out Denver did have an Chinatown in what is now LoDo. They just knocked it down for warehouses and other junk that adds nothing to the cultural diversity of a city. Just like Detroit - they once had a Chinatown and knocked it down to build a freeway.

Denver- the Detroit of the West.
"My argument was that in raw numbers metro Denver probably has MORE Asians than Calgary. So there is no excuse not to have a Chinatown"

This is really illogical. A larger metro area doesnt give way to a certain demographic. I have no idea how you could of came up with this!

If Denver once had a chinatown it was much like every other large city in the U.S. which was to cater to railroad workers. But this is just another one of your red herrings. The fact is Denver is landlocked both geographically and culturally from Asians. There is no mega Asian city within 600 miles nor is there the pacific ocean in its front yard.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Calgary isn't your city? Well that's obvious. I thinking you're from Milwaukee....

I had another troll from Milwaukee complain about why Denver dosent have a china town. And at the time I thought what an absurd question - obviously the geography and/or history doesnt support it.

Any person from Calgary or who knows about it would have known that its not land locked like you suggested - its 600 miles from Vancouver - a notorious asian city on the pacific coast....

Why does Denver have lots of Latinos? Well Colorado borders New mexico and pretty much Texas. Alberta Canada borders BC. And being the two big cities in their region they would tend to share demographics - Asians...

The point of bringing up the gamma city thing is to show how asinine of a comment you made when you claimed that Denver is hardly known by people outside the U.S. But for some reason you havent connected this yet.
Denver isn't known to people (ie., the general populace) outside the US. You are delusional if you think the average person in Munich, Dubai, Tokyo, Singapore, or Perth has even heard of Denver. The Alpha, Beta, Gamma rankings are done by educated people who have heard of Denver, and just about every other city in the world. Denver automatically gets inclusion by virtue of it's population. But Denver, like Calgary, ranks Gamma, which means it's a business centre of no significance whatsoever on a global scale. The fact that you are bragging that it's a "Gamma+" city is comical to me. Gamma, Gamma+, Gamma-. It makes no difference. They are all insignificant cities.

You obviously haven't travelled the world, but if you ever do go overseas, ask some random people you meet if they know where Denver is. I guarantee you most have never heard of Denver or Colorado for that matter.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
"My argument was that in raw numbers metro Denver probably has MORE Asians than Calgary. So there is no excuse not to have a Chinatown"

This is really illogical. A larger metro area doesnt give way to a certain demographic. I have no idea how you could of came up with this!
I didn't say Denver has a larger Asian population because it has a larger metro population. I'm just guessing that Denver DOES have a larger Asian population. Do you have numbers? I'm guessing you looked up the numbers and found that Denver does indeed have more Asians than Calgary. You tried to think of an excuse for it having no Chinatown, but couldn't. So you're not going to even bother sharing the numbers with me.

And I guarantee you that Denver has more Asians now that it did in the early 1900s when it did have a Chinatown.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 PM

Denver is culturally isolated from Asians because they choose not to move there. They could if they wanted. The average Asian immigrant to North America is much wealthier and more educated than the average Mexican immigrant. They have a choice of where to move. The fact that they choose not to move to Denver speaks to it's lack of international appeal.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 PM

OMG you're a head case

Have a good night

Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 AM

And you're delusional. Based on your comments you've never been outside the United States. You think Denver is some internationally famous city. Go to Europe, Asia, or Australia and tell people you're from "Denver". 97% of them will stare at you blankly because they've never heard of it. If you tell them you're from "Denver, Colorado", about 95% of them will still stare at you blankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City