Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should I Live?
Pittsburgh 47 50.00%
Northern Virginia (NoVA) 47 50.00%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,297 times

Advertisements

Right. I don't know what is his point. I just cited a suburban shopping mall to prove that being in a clearly much larger metro, of course there are things that don't exist in Pittsburgh but in NoVA. Whether you like it or not is not the point. Metro DC has tons of urban affordable shopping options. You just have to find them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPony90 View Post
Dude, you live in a suburb! All of the things you're complaining about are found in all suburbs everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
I'd definitely move to Pittsburgh if you have a steady/great job opportunity there. Being a major suburb of the Nation's Capital in this deep recession/depression that we are in, NOVA is as you describe it: a gigantic, expensive, traffic-swamped megalopolis w/ no end in sight of growth (just wait till the stimulous package kicks in -- there will be even more contruction and higher prices!). Having lived both in and out of NOVA, being able to afford more house will definitely bring down your stress level -- not to mention improve your budget for spending $ on things you enjoy (and don't forget to give to the less fortunate, while you're at it :-))

I understand you are also from the Scranton area so perhaps you will be closer to family/friends?Also, be sure to budget in a couple of sanity trips to warmer climates during the Pittsburg winters.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hello forum!

I'm in a rut tonight. I just sat down last night to map out my revised budget after receiving my first pay check and some more definitized monthly expenditures, and I realized that on a $42,000 salary HALF of my monthly net income is going to rent with a large chunk of my remainder going to bills, leaving me with a small pittance left over for emergencies. I live frugally in a 1-BR apartment in a suburb on steroids. I did a search for housing in Arlington, VA, a city I've grown to admire from afar, and I became very discouraged. The least expensive non run-down single-family-home I could find that I liked was $380,000! As a single male who will probably be earning in the neighborhood of $85,000 by age 30 I'm just depressed because I don't see how I'll ever be able to afford a home here.

I then looked at Pittsburgh and found a huge array of homes in and around the city and its inner suburbs that were listed from $75,000-$100,000 that were PERFECT for me.

My dream home?
  • 2 Bedrooms
  • 1 Bathroom
  • 1,100-1,300 Square Feet
  • 1/10-Acre to 1/4-Acre Lot
  • 60-100+ Years Old
  • Adjacent to a Bus Route

A home like this would fetch $400,000 in Arlington. A home like this would fetch $75,000 in Pittsburgh. I just can't figure out why? Granted I've only lived in Northern Virginia for six weeks, but it just seems to be one giant suburb replete with traffic congestion, residential subdivisions, and chain stores/restaurants. With few exceptions (Leesburg, Fairfax City, Falls Church, Arlington, and Alexandria come to mind) the rest of NoVA is not a nice place to live unless you enjoy hopping in your car and bending over as a glutton for punishment. Unfortunately though even as a college-educated professional I just don't foresee myself ever being able to afford my own place here on one salary. In Pittsburgh I'd be able to buy my own place before I was 24!

I suppose what I'm asking you all is "Is there something I'm missing that justifies the exorbitant cost-of-living in Northern Virginia?" I just don't see what makes this area so "superior" to nearly every other place in the nation. Can someone who is familiar with both Pittsburgh and NoVA please give me their honest opinion as to where I should look to plant down my roots? Why are housing values so depressed in Pittsburgh? The city is replete with history, nostalgia, and charm, the people are down-to-earth, traffic is relatively uncongested, there's jobs available in certain fields, etc., etc. What gives?

Where is this "amazing" quality-of-life in Northern Virginia that I've been missing out on?
NoVa's (and DC in general) economy is light years ahead of Pittsburgh ( although the city has made great strides in building a new economy after the steel industry collapse) so that's what makes housing prices a lot higher. Plus the area has a lot of good schools and low crime.

Who's to say you'll only be making $85,000 by your 30. I know a person that recently started out working for the Feds (DoD) and quickly like within 2-3 year time frame got a position making over $90K. He had to go back and get a masters degree, but he progressed pretty quickly in pay. Plus by that time, you probably would have had more money saved up. Also have you thought about looking further out (if you want to stay in NoVa proper) or possibly even Baltimore if you want an urban lifestyle within the DC metro area, without the price tag?

Pittsburgh is a real nice city. It reminds me of an older east coast version of Seattle with the hills and water, and people jogging and biking. I actually thought about moving there myself, but I'm not a fan of cold weather. I couldn't imagine navigating the city when it snows, with all those massive hills.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:29 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
I agree with those that say that this topic really doesn't make too much sense. You're comparing a big city to suburbs. Not only suburbs, but some distant suburbs. Of course you won't have the same amenities. The DC Metro area has some of the most urban suburbs in the country. Arlington and Alexandria are extremely urban on the VA side. Fairfax is much further out. Yet, it still has many more positives than most suburbs would that are that far from the city. It has five Metro stations in the county that have parking and can be taken into the city. It's one of the richest and safest counties in the country with on of the best school systems. Your $70,000 house in Pittsburgh will NOT be like that. Arlington and Alexandria have a TON of things to do and are right there next to Fairfax.

Then being a short Metro ride away from DC is a huge plus. Some people on here are stuck in the 1980s and 1990s. They think DC is nothing but monuments, museums and government buildings. They also think that DC is crime-infested. However, they are just like many on this site that speak about a place that they know nothing about or haven't been to for 15 years.

DC's crime rate is just like any other large city in the country now. Sure it had almost 500 homicides in 1991, but its on pace for 130 homicides this year. The population is rising, and it may be on of the fastest improving cities in the country. The poorer people are moving out very quickly and many people from all over the country are trying to get inside the city. There are plenty of things going on in the city every day. Even the nightlife is top notch. It's no NYC, Vegas, or Miami as far as nightlife, but it's still way up there. DC is easily one of the most vibrant and cosmopolitan cities in the country right now.

I really don't see and comparison here. DC has a lot more going on and is in much better shape than Pittsburgh. NoVa has more going on than most suburbs. Once again though, you're comparing suburbs(outer ones like Fairfax at that) to a city. So that $70,000 house in Pittsburgh is going to be a lot rougher than your safe place in Fairfax with really not much more to offer.

Also, like someone stated, get a roommate if you need one. I live in the Columbia Heights neighborhood in DC(one of the more popular "hip" neighborhoods in the city). I pay $650/month. It's a 4BR house so I have roommates, but it isn't a problem at all. My lease ends at the end of the month and I'm most likely moving into another 4BR house in Dupont. Dupont is one of the most trendy, upscale, and expensive neighborhoods in DC. A 1BR apartment would be at least $1800/month. I'll be paying $750/month for my room in a beautiful row house a few blocks from the Dupont Metro station. All of this is working out for me and I work for the DCFD making only $2k more than you.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Hey Scran...I think you have answered your own question by the "tone" of your op. Remember Pittsburgh is an awful lot like Scranton in many good ways....but without all the "Judges and Juries"...LOL....We are looking at Victoria, British Columbia...but Pittsburgh is still up on our list.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Hello forum!

I'm in a rut tonight. I just sat down last night to map out my revised budget after receiving my first pay check and some more definitized monthly expenditures, and I realized that on a $42,000 salary HALF of my monthly net income is going to rent with a large chunk of my remainder going to bills, leaving me with a small pittance left over for emergencies. I live frugally in a 1-BR apartment in a suburb on steroids. I did a search for housing in Arlington, VA, a city I've grown to admire from afar, and I became very discouraged. The least expensive non run-down single-family-home I could find that I liked was $380,000! As a single male who will probably be earning in the neighborhood of $85,000 by age 30 I'm just depressed because I don't see how I'll ever be able to afford a home here.

I then looked at Pittsburgh and found a huge array of homes in and around the city and its inner suburbs that were listed from $75,000-$100,000 that were PERFECT for me.

My dream home?
  • 2 Bedrooms
  • 1 Bathroom
  • 1,100-1,300 Square Feet
  • 1/10-Acre to 1/4-Acre Lot
  • 60-100+ Years Old
  • Adjacent to a Bus Route

A home like this would fetch $400,000 in Arlington. A home like this would fetch $75,000 in Pittsburgh. I just can't figure out why? Granted I've only lived in Northern Virginia for six weeks, but it just seems to be one giant suburb replete with traffic congestion, residential subdivisions, and chain stores/restaurants. With few exceptions (Leesburg, Fairfax City, Falls Church, Arlington, and Alexandria come to mind) the rest of NoVA is not a nice place to live unless you enjoy hopping in your car and bending over as a glutton for punishment. Unfortunately though even as a college-educated professional I just don't foresee myself ever being able to afford my own place here on one salary. In Pittsburgh I'd be able to buy my own place before I was 24!

I suppose what I'm asking you all is "Is there something I'm missing that justifies the exorbitant cost-of-living in Northern Virginia?" I just don't see what makes this area so "superior" to nearly every other place in the nation. Can someone who is familiar with both Pittsburgh and NoVA please give me their honest opinion as to where I should look to plant down my roots? Why are housing values so depressed in Pittsburgh? The city is replete with history, nostalgia, and charm, the people are down-to-earth, traffic is relatively uncongested, there's jobs available in certain fields, etc., etc. What gives?

Where is this "amazing" quality-of-life in Northern Virginia that I've been missing out on?
From someone who has lived here 5 years; NoVA's high cost is justified by (at least by the locals) the public school system, the proximity to DC, the amount of high-paying jobs, the low crime, etc. This area has a high quality of life for families, supposedly. For singles who really dont care about any of that, it can be frustrating finding an affordable place and understanding the high COL.

It seems like owning a home is important to you and being somewhere urban and affordable is also. My advice is to get out of NoVA. Not gonna happen here trust me.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:50 AM

542 posts, read 991,624 times
Many people probably justify the high cost of living in NOVA just for the status of living outside of a world renowned city and of the dynamic job security that working for the government provides. I love Pittsburgh though and would still choose it. One question is would you still be able to make the same money in the 'burgh since their cost of living is not as high. D.C. does have some awesome neighborhoods, I was just in Georgetown last night for a movie and the place was alive! New York sized crowds on the streets and all kinds of interesting things to see and do. Not sure if Pittsburgh has the same level of action in some of its neighborhoods. D.C. is also at a great location on the east coast, being only sveral driving hours to many other big cities and attractions.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Pittsburgh in action:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/DSC07430.jpg (broken link)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/DSC07449.jpg (broken link)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/DSC07514.jpg (broken link)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/DSC07515.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I was just in Georgetown last night for a movie and the place was alive! New York sized crowds on the streets and all kinds of interesting things to see and do. Not sure if Pittsburgh has the same level of action in some of its neighborhoods. D.C. is also at a great location on the east coast, being only sveral driving hours to many other big cities and attractions.
Georgetown is a very cool town. But, NOVA isn't Georgetown. If it was, I'd be in Georgetown in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'm wrong, but NOVA is already incredibly expensive, but Georgetown, I"m guessing as I've never heard anyone try to move there, must be phenenominally expensive.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
Quote:
It's entirely possible I'm just "missing" what justifies NoVA having such exorbitant housing prices relative to the quality-of-life. Other than "you're close to DC" I haven't heard any other good reason to want to live where I currently do.
The answer is nothing justifies NoVA having such exorbitant housing prices relative to the quality of life. What DOES cause the higher prices are 1)population density, with DC at 9,639/sq mile and Pittsburgh at 5,636/sq mile, and 2)Median salaries, with DC being a lot higher than Pittsburgh ($100.8k vs. $62.5k). When money making people are crammed into a denser space, that makes all the housing prices go up. Pittsburgh has pro sports, bike trails, parks, riverfront activity, art and culture, restaurants, etc. My opinion is that DC doesn't provide a better quality of life, in fact DC traffic may actually make quality of life worse. But you're going to pay more in DC because you're living where a bunch of "rich people" live.

Last edited by MantaRay; 07-20-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City