Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the best to live in?
Illinois 44 54.32%
Indiana 12 14.81%
Ohio 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:58 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JETTA View Post
IL theres something for everyone here 4 distincts seasons if you want a big city there is Chicago in the north if you want small towns you can go to central/southern IL its just all and all a great place to be
4 distinct seasons in all the states. In Ohio, you can find small towns and large cities just about everywhere. From the plains, to the Appalachian foothills, to the Metroparks, Ohio has the greatest diversity imo.

The Hocking Hills in the southeast part of the state are somewhat of a hidden gem.

Cuyahoga Valley Swamps are pretty cool to check out as well

Here's a site dedicated to hiking in Ohio
http://hikingohioparks.com/

Last edited by WeSoHood; 07-20-2009 at 02:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The only thing keeping me in Illinois is Chicago and the city's proximity to Wisconsin, and those are the trump card that give Illinois the nod. Other than that, IMO none of these three states have a whole lot going for them except the Appalachian hills in SE Ohio have some nice scenery.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
4 distinct seasons in all the states. In Ohio, you can find small towns and large cities just about everywhere. From the plains, to the Appalachian foothills, to the Metroparks, Ohio has the greatest diversity imo.

The Hocking Hills in the southeast part of the state are somewhat of a hidden gem.

Cuyahoga Valley Swamps are pretty cool to check out as well

Here's a site dedicated to hiking in Ohio
Pictures, Movies And Hiking In Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Kentucky, California And Arizona
WOW. Great post and AMAZING pictures!

Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
I know I'm late to this but I would pick Indiana, Illinois and bringing up the rear Ohio. Not because I live in Indiana but growing up in Lake County, I've been able to experience in great detail Illinois as well. Illinois has Chicago but that tax is a killer plus that nice orange glow to downtown Chicago that makes it look so spectacular at night actually comes from the Indiana side. I choose Indiana moreso because better fiscal planning and spending as compared to Illinois and Ohio. Higher education wise, Illinois has UC and U of I. Ohio is strictly The Ohio State University. Let's face U of Cincy and Cleveland State just don't cut it. Indiana on the other hand has IU, Purdue, Butler, Rose Hulman and Notre Dame. All highly ranked universities. You could even throw in Valporaiso as it's constantly ranked one of the better smaller universities year in and year out. Indiana also has the Dunes. Illinois has Chicago and Ohio has Cleveland and to a lesser degree Cincinnati. I know Indiana only has Indianapolis as far as large cities go but with the largest and I think 6th largest single day sporting events on the planet with the Indy 500 and the Brickyard and it's affinity for being the amateur sports capital of the world and convention success, Indy isn't exactly a slouch and is actually underrated IMO esp. compared to a city like Columbus which in all respects is almost identical in demographics city population and metro population. The one thing Indianapolis truely lacks is a halfway decent public transportation system. The only thing there is IndyGo and it sucks royally. Crimewise with the exception of Gary, Indiana is relatively low in crime compare to cities in Ohio and Illinois.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Higher education wise, Illinois has UC and U of I. Ohio is strictly The Ohio State University. Let's face U of Cincy and Cleveland State just don't cut it. Indiana on the other hand has IU, Purdue, Butler, Rose Hulman and Notre Dame. All highly ranked universities. You could even throw in Valporaiso as it's constantly ranked one of the better smaller universities year in and year out.
In addition to those you mention, IL has:

Northwestern
DePaul
Loyola

OH has:

Case Western
Xavier
Miami U (Oxford)
Oberlin
UC actually has a highly-regarded music conservatory

I agree that Indiana has a lot to offer and doesn't get the recognition it deserves, but IL and OH have many quality higher education institutions as well.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
^^ Ohio University also has one of the top journalism schools in the nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I know I'm late to this but I would pick Indiana, Illinois and bringing up the rear Ohio. Not because I live in Indiana but growing up in Lake County, I've been able to experience in great detail Illinois as well. Illinois has Chicago but that tax is a killer plus that nice orange glow to downtown Chicago that makes it look so spectacular at night actually comes from the Indiana side. I choose Indiana moreso because better fiscal planning and spending as compared to Illinois and Ohio. Higher education wise, Illinois has UC and U of I. Ohio is strictly The Ohio State University. Let's face U of Cincy and Cleveland State just don't cut it. Indiana on the other hand has IU, Purdue, Butler, Rose Hulman and Notre Dame. All highly ranked universities. You could even throw in Valporaiso as it's constantly ranked one of the better smaller universities year in and year out. Indiana also has the Dunes. Illinois has Chicago and Ohio has Cleveland and to a lesser degree Cincinnati. I know Indiana only has Indianapolis as far as large cities go but with the largest and I think 6th largest single day sporting events on the planet with the Indy 500 and the Brickyard and it's affinity for being the amateur sports capital of the world and convention success, Indy isn't exactly a slouch and is actually underrated IMO esp. compared to a city like Columbus which in all respects is almost identical in demographics city population and metro population. The one thing Indianapolis truely lacks is a halfway decent public transportation system. The only thing there is IndyGo and it sucks royally. Crimewise with the exception of Gary, Indiana is relatively lo in crime compare to cities in Ohio and Illinois.
Howi s Ohio State the only higher education in Ohio? That's the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard.

I'm really not even sure why I'm replying, your whole paragraph is just absurd.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Ohio because of all the parks there and its a nice place overall

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,441 times
Indiana is the best. Put aside I was born and raised there. Taxes in Hoosierville are lower and the people are better. Indianapolis and Fort Wayne make the state so much better; if it werent for these cities Indiana would be dead. I dont dont like Illinois' toll roads, taxes or political corruption. Yes, it has Chicago, but I dont care. Ohio is the epitome of the Rust Belt and would NEVER EVER live there. Although Columbus is nice. Indiana, hands down. And dont forget, Indiana has the lowest unemployment rate of the Great Lakes States.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,441 times
Why doesnt anyone mention Indiana's good qualities?

- convenient location to major Midwest markets
- within a a day's drive of thwo-thirds the nation's population
- a more balanced economy
- a more equal population distribution
- the lowest unemployment rate of the Great Lakes States
- Marengo and Wyandotte Caves
- Brown County
- the amish country in the north
- hills in southern Indiana
- diversity of landscape and topgraphy
- the covered bridges
- the IU/Purdue rivalry
-its capital and largest city of Indianapolis is the 13th largest in the country and is the fastest growing large metro area in the Midwest and has the:
- Childrens Museum
- the Indy 500
- the Brickyard 400 (NASCAR)
- the Colts
- the Pacers
- the amateur sports capital of America, home to several dozen sports organizations
- Conner Prarie
- Circle Center
- Castleton Square
- White River State Park

Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
I voted for Ohio because of THE Ohio State University... easy pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City