Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 AM

191 posts, read 809,534 times

Advertisements

...is there an American Catholic Belt? I think I have delineated with this here map. Not counting Southern Louisiana and the Tex-Mex Border.
Attached Thumbnails
You've heard of the Bible Belt but is there an American Catholic Belt?-catholic.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Wooden spoon beatings are 75% higher in the Catholic belt than in other parts of the country.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
I think it's pretty decent. However, I would take out far northern NY, VT and NH. And I would have it go a little further up the southern Maine coast.

hmmmmm..... on 2nd thought, maybe it should stay that far north due to the french influence in places like the NE kingdom. Regardless, it should go a little further up in Maine, up the coast until at least Portland. I guess if you include northern NH, NY, VT you should also include far far northern Maine (aroostock county) but not central maine or far downeast.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,549 times
U.S. Religion Map and Religious Populations - U.S. Religious Landscape Study - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
Attached Thumbnails
You've heard of the Bible Belt but is there an American Catholic Belt?-untitled.jpg  

Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times
Don't forget the Southwest.

Large Latino population down there.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island seem to be the most Catholic on that map. Of those New Jersey was the only one with a majority of people listing religion as "very important."

Two plurality Catholic states that came out fairly high on church attendance, of overall population, and importance of religion were Nebraska and Illinois. As "Bible Belt" usually implies active religiosity, rather than just being Protestant, maybe the Plains or Southwest is more of a Catholic "Bible Belt" with parts of New Jersey maybe being close too.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Interesting map! What data did you use to make it (or is it impressionistic, which is fine with me). I'd extend the Western boundary up through the Mississippi River Valley to the Twin Cities. LaCrosse, WI and Winona, MN are heavily Catholic, as is the surrounding countryside. The Twin Cities have a huge Catholic population, too. The Detroit area is heavily Catholic also, don't know about the rest of MI.

I'm curious what the "panhandle" is that runs along the OH/IN border. What's up with that, anyone know? And is the narrow corridor between Gary and Toledo very Catholic?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Wooden spoon beatings are 75% higher in the Catholic belt than in other parts of the country.
It's clear YOU never went to a Catholic school! The nuns' weapon of choice was wooden rulers, not spoons!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 PM

191 posts, read 809,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm curious what the "panhandle" is that runs along the OH/IN border. What's up with that, anyone know? And is the narrow corridor between Gary and Toledo very Catholic?
One of my inspirations: http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...n/catholic.gif

I think Germans must have brought Catholicism to Western Ohio. A friend in Cincy tells me that town, and Newport, KY, are still very Catholic to this day.

The belt narrows across Northern, IN, but that is where Polish Catholics and Notre Dame are located.

Seems like the Catholic Belt is Irish at the eastern end of it (Mass.), Polish at the western end of it (Wisconsin), with rural Germans and urban Italians in the middle of it.

Although I'll admit this was more true 50 years ago, and of course is a great oversimplification.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around
It's clear YOU never went to a Catholic school! The nuns' weapon of choice was wooden rulers, not spoons!

An instrument of measurement. Or an instrument of harsh punishment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City